Author Topic: Anyone tried fitting universal stretch CV gaitors?  (Read 3247 times)

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Anyone tried fitting universal stretch CV gaitors?
« on: 01:26, Sat 13 August 2011 »
I had a go earlier.. followed the instructions to the letter, I think you'd need to be a world class body builder to pull the small end of the gaitor over the cone!! I also made the mistake of adding the supplied topup grease before fitting the gaitor and ended up with it caked everywhere! In the video on slide-a-boot.com he just well.. slides the boot on instantly! it's much harder in practice trust me!
You have to pull so hard the gaitor ends up wedged on the cv and takes similar force just to pull back off, I did get the thing on in the end albeit with loads of mess :lol:  :?
another 2 to fit tomorrow - can't wait!

denty225

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried fitting universal stretch CV gaitors?
« Reply #1 on: 13:32, Sat 13 August 2011 »
Is this a positive product review then??

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20:02, Sat 13 August 2011 »
There a pain in the rear!

Like watching something give birth.

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21:26, Sat 13 August 2011 »
I had the same problem last week, there is a air tool that stretches them over but finding someone with one is earier said than done. In the end I just gave it to my mate who stripped the driveshaft down lol

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21:34, Sat 13 August 2011 »
lol, probably not the most positive product review ever, no. Maybe it was just my technique. They do say clamp the driveshaft securely in a vice - which I don't have so I ended up sticking it in beween the arms of my lowered engine hoist which secured it with the other end against the garage wall.
In my 1st post I was meant to say you have to pull so hard the cone gets stuck on the spider, also all ended up folding in on itself as it returned to it's original size after snapping off the end of the cone and was well hard to put right due to all the grease everywhere!
I didn't even bother doing anymore today, lazy I am.

owe

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09:20, Sun 14 August 2011 »
these are the ones i always use http://www.bailcast.com/products/duraboot/cvboots/dbcws5-duraboot-workshop-pack-x-16-35kg

the trick is to turn them inside out an then slide it over in one quick motion, as soon as u stop it gets stuck.
plus they arnt universal so they it properly. i use to fit them in situ aswell, no need to remove the drive shaft.
everybody needs to watch this film >>>>>endgame by alex jones

PhoenixAutosport

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20:47, Tue 23 August 2011 »
leave them soaking in a pot of v hot water for a few minutes, then whip one out, dry it and fit it straight away whilst the rubber is nice and soft

helps prevent them splitting as well  :wink:

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:21, Tue 30 August 2011 »
yip bud very hot water boot inside out and plenty of oil on the cone no need to remove driveshaft,then just pull over cone as quick as you can , :D