Author Topic: gearbox oil  (Read 9453 times)

bood

  • 150BHP Member
  • **
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
gearbox oil
« on: 19:08, Mon 08 August 2011 »
hi, silly question i know but where do you fill the gearbox up from?

thanks

tubbyG

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 409
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #1 on: 20:40, Mon 08 August 2011 »
there is a plug on the casing facing forward just behind the bumper, it will have a level indicator on it too. I inserted an old bit of garden hose so fill it up from above.

Hope that helps :D

PhoenixAutosport

  • 170BHP Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 65
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #2 on: 21:22, Mon 08 August 2011 »
is there an easy way to find/get to the filler hole as mine is leaking via the selector shaft and need to check and top it up but after taking out the intercooler which i thought would let me get near to it i still couldnt find the flaming thing, is it one of those things that is easier to access from underneath the car

tubbyG

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 409
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #3 on: 00:18, Tue 09 August 2011 »
Quote from: "PhoenixAutosport"
is it one of those things that is easier to access from underneath the car

definetley  :D

Ash-Lee

  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4208
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #4 on: 07:16, Tue 09 August 2011 »
Worth noting there are 2 different types of filler plug.

First one is a metal one, you will need a 24mm ring spanner to remove. Oil needs to be level with the bottom of the hole. When it starts dribbling out, your full.

Second one is a plastic one, should be able to remove by hand. It has a little dipstick mark attached. Fill to the level on the dipstick.

denty225

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 230
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #5 on: 21:19, Wed 10 August 2011 »
Is that where my oil leak was from?
#
Also whats the other threaded hole for in the pic?

Ash-Lee

  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4208
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #6 on: 22:58, Wed 10 August 2011 »
Where your leaking oil from, that is the gearbox oil filler.

That threaded hole looks like it might be for the engine-gearbox bar. Probably a good idea to have that fitted to avoid any strain, there's only 4 bolts along the top of the gearbox otherwise.

Mine didn't have this fitted when i first had my 5, couple of months later my crankshaft snapped clean in half. Not sure if it was related though but i fitted one pretty sharpish.

denty225

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 230
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #7 on: 16:25, Fri 12 August 2011 »
Oh, best get on of those bars then! Thanks.

PhoenixAutosport

  • 170BHP Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 65
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #8 on: 20:53, Fri 12 August 2011 »
Quote from: "denty225"
#
blimey  :shock:  thats low down on the box, there cant be much in the way of oil in there, judging by my driveway mine will have lost most of that  :cry:

Ash-Lee

  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4208
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #9 on: 22:34, Fri 12 August 2011 »
Quote from: "PhoenixAutosport"
blimey  :shock:  thats low down on the box, there cant be much in the way of oil in there, judging by my driveway mine will have lost most of that  :cry:

Wait a second.

I think i'm talking s**t. Is that the gearbox filler? Now you mention it, it looks too small and too low.

I know it's definately a 24mm head. If you can find that, then you have found the filler.

Ash-Lee

  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4208
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #10 on: 22:45, Fri 12 August 2011 »
This is the plug. I drew a nice arrow on there!


PhoenixAutosport

  • 170BHP Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 65
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #11 on: 19:46, Sat 13 August 2011 »
thanks for the pic, that should make finding it a lot easier, you should get a job working for haynes as their picture of where to find it could be just about anywhere on the box, i thought it must be a bit higher up, will have to get the car on the ramps and have a look this weekend

Ash-Lee

  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4208
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #12 on: 19:59, Sat 13 August 2011 »
Quote from: "PhoenixAutosport"
thanks for the pic, that should make finding it a lot easier, you should get a job working for haynes as their picture of where to find it could be just about anywhere on the box, i thought it must be a bit higher up, will have to get the car on the ramps and have a look this weekend

If it is anything like mine was then it will more then likely be caked in all kinds of goo, making it even harder to locate.  :lol:

PhoenixAutosport

  • 170BHP Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 65
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #13 on: 20:33, Sat 13 August 2011 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
Quote from: "PhoenixAutosport"
thanks for the pic, that should make finding it a lot easier, you should get a job working for haynes as their picture of where to find it could be just about anywhere on the box, i thought it must be a bit higher up, will have to get the car on the ramps and have a look this weekend

If it is anything like mine was then it will more then likely be caked in all kinds of goo, making it even harder to locate.  :lol:

yep loads of oily mess, im sure renault designed the car with oil leaks in order to protect against corrosion as my engine bay is mint underneath all the oil and gunk  :lol:

denty225

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 230
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil
« Reply #14 on: 09:18, Mon 29 August 2011 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
Where your leaking oil from, that is the gearbox oil filler.

That threaded hole looks like it might be for the engine-gearbox bar. Probably a good idea to have that fitted to avoid any strain, there's only 4 bolts along the top of the gearbox otherwise.

Mine didn't have this fitted when i first had my 5, couple of months later my crankshaft snapped clean in half. Not sure if it was related though but i fitted one pretty sharpish.

Is this the one? http://www.cgbmotorsport.net/engine-mount-gearbox-steady-1057-p.asp Mechanically the car is ready to run, so I should probably get this sorted. Just in case.