Author Topic: starter woes  (Read 1228 times)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
starter woes
« on: 13:04, Sat 06 August 2011 »
over the last week when going to start the 5, it turned over very slowly before turning normal and firing. This morning  when I turned the ignition all I got was a buzzing noise from the starter and the rev needle was jumping about, I tried again, and nothing happened this time (no noise or turning)

I dont have a multimeter so I have removed the starter and hooked it up to a spare battery - and nothing happens.

Any suggestions on repairing it, are the bushes easily replaced?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: starter woes
« Reply #1 on: 23:38, Tue 09 August 2011 »
Make sure all the connections are clean before you assume the worse.

Typically the small spade connector, mines a bit ropey and sometimes takes 3 turns of the key to catch.

Not sure about the bushes. I'm sure they are replaceable, afterall a lot surcharge items just go back to get refurbished. But i'm not sure how easily available the parts are.

Might be easier to just grab a new starter.

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 00:32, Wed 10 August 2011 »
thanks for the response Ash. I had some free time today so I went and tested the starter again on a bench.  The spade connector surprisingly had next to no corrosion and was pretty clean.

Just to confirm im doing it right (or not) - power to both connectors then ground the casing?

this method only resulted in an occasional buzzing noise.  I've had a quick search and starters seem dirt cheap anyway so your right........much easier to get a replacement

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #3 on: 08:05, Wed 10 August 2011 »
Sounds like you have done it right it.  That should be causing the solenoid to click back and forth and also spin the starter.

Sounds like duff starter,

ben marks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22:06, Fri 12 August 2011 »
ya should pull it apart i fixed my starter in about half an hour tops the soloniode was sezied freed it off and is working fine
always worth a look see could be an easy fix mate

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22:31, Wed 24 August 2011 »
Fitted new starter today. All was well untill I went to start up after work, engine fired up ok but got a horrible noise from starter! Im thinking the starter is just not ligned up right.

When I removed the old feked starter, no locating dowel came out with it. So the new one went in with only using the 3 securing bolts to allign it

Any tips to get it in the right position??

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23:30, Wed 24 August 2011 »
You need that dowel, wherever it might be.

It's been a common problem where people forget to refit it, or fit it in the wrong position.

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23:39, Wed 24 August 2011 »
Im sure it wasnt there in the first place! Unless it was jammed inside the hole and when I removed the starter stayed in place?

Or its lost!   :lol:

Will the support bracket assist in holding it in the right place?
I will have another go tomorrow morning before work - I dont want my flywheel chewed to bits