Author Topic: oil pressure light flickering and white smoke out exhaust  (Read 6625 times)

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Ive just taken the car for a run, mainly motorway driving, now when i get to a standstill ie roundabout the pressure light flickers the gauge reads about 10psi on idle and then once up to speed its about 40psi, ive the correct amount of oil and the oil is 10w 40 halfords purple bottle.

Just to add to my worries ive noticed alot of white smoke once id arrived home, i dont recall seeing any smoke whilst on journey. It was smoking whilst oil light was flickering.

Ive just checked oil for mayo and its clean oil :D ive also checked water and its fine just a nice blue antifreeze colour :D  Ive just started car up in garage about 30mins after switching her off after me run and the light isnt flickering and ive no white smoke, what is going on HELP PLEASE regards neil :)

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: oil pressure light flickering and white smoke out exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 20:16, Thu 21 July 2011 »
Im sure minimum oil pressure is 0.9BAR. 10PSI might be below that.

How hot were you running?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21:24, Thu 21 July 2011 »
Firstly give turbo a check, see for any play
It sounds like once oil is warm it may be bypassing somewhere and leaking into exhaust.

Pressure on idle is abit low, poss pump showing signs of wear
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21:42, Thu 21 July 2011 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
It sounds like once oil is warm it may be bypassing somewhere and leaking into exhaust.

Cheers for reply, do i just take telephone hose off to check for play, what is bad movement, side to side or in and out shake it all about and you do the okeykokey :lol:. The turbo is brand new well ive had it for about 5 years gathering dust but its not covered 400miles fingers crossed its ok.

I dont seem to remember the pressure warning light coming on before i had to take sump off to replace the timing chain pulley seal. Do you think i may have got some sump sealent onto the oil pump pickup filter because it was bloody tight getting it to fit without scraping the sealent against something, also it took about 2mins for the oil warning light to turn off after i put the sump on :!:  could this be linked.

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21:45, Thu 21 July 2011 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
Im sure minimum oil pressure is 0.9BAR. 10PSI might be below that.

How hot were you running?

Im guessing it was even lower than 10psi  :shock: my warning light comes on below 5psi not sure about the oil temp because i snapped the capillary line  :roll: whilst fitting a 80degree oil temp thermostat, but if that was working then it should be about 80degrees.

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22:20, Thu 21 July 2011 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"

Alright Mark ive just gone out and checked and theres no in and out atall, but about 2mm movement side to side, i do remember this movement when i first bolted her on many moons ago but as it was supposedly a recon/new unit i guessed this was normal, is this normal :?: I didnt have any smoke on a 250mile round trip to pod day the other week :? but i did have flickery warning light  :roll:

robx1r

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01:51, Fri 22 July 2011 »
sorry to hijack but what is the normal idle/low rev oil preassure ment to be? mines at 2.3 2.5 bar on idle and off boost?

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22:19, Fri 22 July 2011 »
Well ive just done a compression test and well shes dead with a warm engine and all plugs out i got
 cyl 1- 0 psi
 cyl 2-10psi
cyl 3-25psi
cyl 4-25psi

after that i put all plugs in and i got 0 0 0 0 on all cylinders. would this be correct or do you think the gauge is broken i started at cylinder 4 if it helps.

Just going to put a few pointers down for you peeps to ponder over
I started her up before doing the test and let her idle for about 30mins and it was smoking quite alot but on closer inspection ie putting me fingers in tailpipe it was condensation.

She started fine and ticked over fine and when revved was fine, if say one cylinder had no compression would it not sound rough :?:

Also just to point out ive fitted a mocal oil temp thermostat that fits in the oil lines now ive definately fitted it the correct way, but i was monitoring it whilst it was running and the lines that go up to the thermostat and back to engine (with it being closed) get hot. but the lines after the thermostat that go to cooler were still cold.

My querie here is should the oil have got up to 80degrees at tickover for 30mins and then opened the stat to then go through the cooler :?:  because if it should have got up to that temp in that time then it means i was driven about with the oil not going through the cooler.

Sorry its a long one, if you know what your talking about please give me some advice though  :(  :(  :(  :(

Oh one more thing cyl 1 had a tiny amount of oil come out the plug hole

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22:29, Fri 22 July 2011 »
Quote from: "nadgtt1982"
cyl 1- 0 psi
 cyl 2-10psi
cyl 3-25psi
cyl 4-25psi

Something doesn't seem right there. That is REALLY low, i'm surprised the engine even fired up!

I managed to score a 40-50PSI reading once on a 205, and that sounded rough as f**k when it ran, are you saying this runs quite well? Apart from the smoking.

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22:32, Fri 22 July 2011 »
I was thinking this ash ye it started up, idled, and revved fine for about 30mins before i switched it off, its me mates com tester........ an 8 ebay bargain :roll:

fishead

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22:47, Fri 22 July 2011 »
what oil pressure gauge are you using ?

is this a freshly built engine ?

unless im bein a twat, as i read those comp test results it wouldnt run, should be around the 150 mark depending on what its been built to, have another go

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22:59, Fri 22 July 2011 »
Quote from: "fishead"
what oil pressure gauge are you using ?

is this a freshly built engine ?

unless im bein a twat, as i read those comp test results it wouldnt run, should be around the 150 mark depending on what its been built to, have another go

Im using a splitfire mechanical gauge, its not a rebuilt engine but is a bbt black spec thats prob done about 4000miles in the past 12 years :shock: Well im definately not an expert but i did think how the hell was it running fine 10mins before hand aside from the smoke. Im thinking the test gauge has died because its first reading was 25, then 25, then 10, then 0 and then i went across the cylinders and got 0 :?  ill see if i can blag another tester from somewhere

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03:54, Sun 24 July 2011 »
yeh mate i would go get a fresh compression tester and try again ,is it not running off a cylinder ?

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19:02, Sun 24 July 2011 »
Right ive bought a new tester, ive got 135psi on cyl 1,2,3 and 140psi on cyl 4. This was on a cold engine, this surely eliminates my engine and head gasket in terms of smoke :?:  :?:

Does this just leave the turbo. Which has no oil going into cooler pipes and very minimal side to side play when cold.

With regards to the pressure light flickering, im sure it started after id fitted an 80degree oil stat, now fri night i let the car idle for over 30mins and the pipes coming from the stat to the cooler didnt warm up at all. Could the new stat not be opening up to the cooler and just be getting hotter and hotter and making the pressure less.

Does anyone know how long an idling c1j should take to get up to 80degrees :?:

robx1r

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19:28, Sun 24 July 2011 »
your oil light can come on if there is too much preassure too! (dunno about 5.s but my mazda and pajero do)

my car only hits 80 degrees after a goo hours driving off boost. on boost it could be 5-10 min.

is there too much oil?