Author Topic: carb bowl still emptying  (Read 1352 times)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
carb bowl still emptying
« on: 14:21, Sat 16 July 2011 »
Last night I drilled out the needle jet to 2mm. Went for a little run, and although a little better, the carb bowl was still emptying :cry:

so I  took apart a spare carb and did it again, this time drilling a bit further than before. Again it was better, but still emptying when on a long pull, 1st through to 5th. It happens about 5.5-6k rpm in 3rd, and again in 4th about 5k and 5th at 4-4.5k.

I have (apparently) an uprated/phase1 fuel pump bought from CGB last year. So where do I go from here? FPR?

is there a way to tell if the FPR is operating as it should or do I just need to buy a new one?

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: carb bowl still emptying
« Reply #1 on: 14:29, Sat 16 July 2011 »
is the fpr boost feed pipe split?

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14:33, Sat 16 July 2011 »
not sure on that fordy, i couldnt see much last night but I will have a look once the rain has stopped and keep you posted.

If its split - Great just a new pipe.

If its not?

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15:07, Sat 16 July 2011 »
sorry fella not had much indepth experience with these issues but i'd probably check everything like
blocked fuel filter,
pump voltage down the road staying stable,
fuel pressure rises with boost and isnt dropping off
if you could try a known good pump
maybe buy a proper 2mm needle
lower boost till issue is gone

im sure someone else will have some better info

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #4 on: 16:33, Sat 16 July 2011 »
What did you mean by drilling the needle jet a little further!! The needle jet should be drilled to 2.0 all the way through, don't damage the float though keep it pulled out when drilling slowly.

As mentioned above make sure your are also getting 4psi of fuel pressure @ idle and if you can get a reading whilst on boost should be 4psi above the boost pressure you are getting, check for blockages renew fuel filter, your fuel pump is it the ribbed type?

I have a decent fpr here if you need

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:54, Tue 19 July 2011 »
Quote from: "James5"
What did you mean by drilling the needle jet a little further!! The needle jet should be drilled to 2.0 all the way through, don't damage the float though keep it pulled out when drilling slowly.

As mentioned above make sure your are also getting 4psi of fuel pressure @ idle and if you can get a reading whilst on boost should be 4psi above the boost pressure you are getting, check for blockages renew fuel filter, your fuel pump is it the ribbed type?

I was trying to be careful not to damage the float inside so did not drill all the way down. I tried drilling again - much better now. Thanks to some great advice from 5teveL on rtoc.
Changed fuel filter and Hoses to fpr are fine, but I plan on changing to a newer one soon anyway as it looks like it has seen better days and I plan on a bigger turbo and more boost this year.
Cant remember if my fuel pump is ribbed or not - but I bought it as a phase1 pump from cgb.

Still not checked fuel pressure yet as it seemed better

Cheers

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13:32, Tue 19 July 2011 »
Quote from: "Phase2-tungy-gtt"

I was trying to be careful not to damage the float inside so did not drill all the way down. I tried drilling again - much better now. Thanks to some great advice from 5teveL on rtoc.
Changed fuel filter and Hoses to fpr are fine, but I plan on changing to a newer one soon anyway as it looks like it has seen better days and I plan on a bigger turbo and more boost this year.
Cant remember if my fuel pump is ribbed or not - but I bought it as a phase1 pump from cgb.

Still not checked fuel pressure yet as it seemed better

Cheers

Phase 1 should be ribbed at the end for the ladies pleasure, aslong as afr's are ok

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20:07, Tue 19 July 2011 »
I take back everything I said about the needle jet being ok. The 5 is now abandoned a few miles away :-(

Went out to drop off some things this afternoon and have a wee blast on the way.

When I got back to the car it wouldnt fire

I believe it was flooded as it absolutley reeked of petrol and even with a push she wouldnt start.
Gonna go and hopefully get it home tomorrow. To make it worse I cant find my spare standard needle jet anywhere

So pissed off  :o

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20:16, Tue 19 July 2011 »
Easy repair matey, go back and pull the fuel pump relay out and crank the car over a few times this should try to start the car but obviously no more fuel will got to the carb.  The fuel in the chamber should try and ignite if you have a spark :D

Sounds like needle jet not sealing properly gettign a 2.0 to seal properly is hard

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20:51, Tue 19 July 2011 »
Shit... Why did I not think of that! Cheers James, very helpful as ever.

Looks like I will be paying German ebay a visit for the 2mm

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20:55, Tue 19 July 2011 »
Quote from: "Phase2-tungy-gtt"
Shit... Why did I not think of that! Cheers James, very helpful as ever.

Looks like I will be paying German ebay a visit for the 2mm

No probs matey, when were pissed off we don't always think of the obvious well I don't :lol:

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 00:42, Wed 20 July 2011 »
No probs matey, when were pissed off we don't always think of the obvious well I don't :lol:

That is very true, but I really should have clicked with that solution!! I have the fuel pump relay visible pretty much at all times-its positioned next to the bonnet latch for easy access (idiot) :shock: