Author Topic: phoenix autosport developing reproduction door cards updated  (Read 3174 times)

PhoenixAutosport

  • 170BHP Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 65
    • View Profile
we are currently developing some reproduction door cards as close to originals as possible, i thought i would start a thread to show everyone our progress on the project,

cant make an omlette without breaking the odd egg or two so first we sacraficed a mint set of mk1 door cards to the cause, here they are blanked off, braced and prepared for molding


we have then made temporary molds from them which you can see released here


we are currently making a set out of the molds which we can then finish to a very high standard that would not be possible to get straight from original part, will post more images as we progress with the project

***********************************************************
UPDATE

started work on the rear quarters to match the door cards, i decided to work off of some plastic phase 1 cards as they are far less flimsy than the phase 2 ones, first task was to brace the edge that fits by the door as it was flexing a bit more than i liked and i wanted to make sure the new parts are totaly straight


next step was to smooth off the speaker grill found on the phase 1 cards, first i etch primed the grill area so that the filler would stick well.


grill now filled and rest of card etch primed


next the hole for the rear pocket / ashtray needed to be blanked for molding, i had to countersink and screw the rear quarter panel down round the edges to get the plastic to sit flat


screw heads now filled along with all marks/scratches in the original plastic cards, has had 4 coats of high build primer and flatted back between each coat to get a nice smooth finish


***********************************************************
UPDATE

rear quarters now coated in 2 pack ready to polish up and mold


set of cards made from temporary molds so that they can be finished to a higher level for making final molds


work begins on improving the finish with lots of filling and sanding


***********************************************************
UPDATE

found a fair amount of deviation in the outside edges of the door cards so skim filled the whole thing to make sure it is made totaly straight


sanded back to a smooth even surface all over


sprayed them up in a high build primer to take out any sanding marks or texture left in the surface


wet flatted the primer back to an almost polished finish to ensure the quality of the painted finish


sprayed up in 2 pack ready for flatting and polishing

Ash-Lee

  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4208
    • View Profile
Re: phoenix autosport developing reproduction door cards
« Reply #1 on: 02:41, Sat 16 July 2011 »
This looks like a great idea.

I know the cloth doorcards in particular get really tatty, these could be a great alternative.  8)