Author Topic: What engine to use?  (Read 2524 times)

bigbash22

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
What engine to use?
« on: 11:55, Sun 15 May 2011 »
Hi guys and girls,

This is my first real post as I've just been reading and reading so far getting as much info as I can before I start asking questions and make myself look like a fool, although somewhere down the line thatís going to happen!
I own a 1994 Renault R5 1.4 Campus and I would like to stick an engine into it. My problem is what one do I choose? I donít have loads of money but what I do have is a few friends in the right places that can help. One of my friends maps cars and is starting to get into breaking Renault Sports, so one engine on the line is a Clio 172 but Iíve been told there a right pain to do and not worth it. Now my other friend who works for Renault says I should just get a GT lump rebuild it and I can easily get 150bhp out of it with a few bits and bobs added and close to 200bhp if I started spending money on it. Is this true?

I would realistically like as close to 200bhp as possible but not 100% on what to do, I have one friend saying "Clio 172 once I do a few things to it it will run 190-200bhp easy" but I donít think he understands how hard it will be and the other saying "gt lump, 172 is too much stress"!
They are both well respected friends but Iím stuck between the two. So really I want a 3rd opinion from you guys (well 3rd, 4th, 5th etc)

Thanks for taking the time to read and any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

megaflea

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.megaflea.net
Re: What engine to use?
« Reply #1 on: 00:53, Sat 24 September 2011 »
i'd probably keep an eye out on ebay for a gt turbo c1j lump,
its gonna fit straight in,  no need to source the expensive ECU or loom or high pressure fuel pump or get a custom exhaust built up or modify engine mounts ,
its gonna bolt straight onto your campus box and every-things gonna fit, (you'll probably need the coil and spark controller module to get the ignition timing right)

sure the 172 engine is more modern and can make good power and probably better fuel economy with just a few tweaks,  but if your strapped for cash i think a gt turbo engine is gonna be the best route and the cheapest,

plus getting more power from the c1j isn't a massively difficult task,  unfortunately you need to have deep pockets if you want to make lots of power, and expect things to break (those are the hidden costs)
root@renault5gtt~]# echo "if you cant fix it" ; init 6 ; echo "it"

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22:44, Sat 24 September 2011 »
Easiest option is just grabbing a turbo engine and all the parts to go with it. 150BHP is fairly easy to obtain, with a bit more money and knowledge 200BHP is reachable.

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23:25, Sat 24 September 2011 »
GT Turbo engine will be yout cheapest and easiest route, then it would be the volvo 1.7 turbo, etc... F7p are cheap to pick up but turboing is more work and hard to get hold of parts with out spending loads of £££'s same with the 172 conversion