Author Topic: Non ending Spluttering... h e l p  (Read 2883 times)

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Non ending Spluttering... h e l p
« on: 18:47, Sun 22 August 2010 »
Hello again to the dear members of this forum! I'm watching the forum a lot all this time but didnt have anything specific to write.

Please bare with me and my long post and please if anyone knows help me   :cry:

Well after a full paintjob (ferrari Red  :twisted:  :twisted: ) where the car moved like 2 times by the person that painted it, he brought it home. All was ok, the engine was a-ok (the paintjob, freaqin awsome too!). He had to take it again to finish with some plastics. The next day he brought it, it was splattering like the engine broke or something!!! I nearly fainted cause  the first thought that pass through my mind was a picture of this person throttling my car like mad and generally running it like a race car...

After the initial shock and a talk with him, he told me that till the night before that he left it at the shop it was ok. The next morning that he was going to start and come to my house again with the start of the engine, it had this spluttering...
Well i checked the whole thing a lot, and i :
1)didnt see any blue-white-black smoke coming out of the exhaust or well, anywhere else. 2)The oil was ok and there,
3)checked the spark cables (new ones like one month ago anyway)
4) spark plugs are new BUT i couldn't check them as they were pretty much tightened and i didnt have the apropriate tool for their removal, so to avoid any broken spark plug after my trying to remove it i just left them unchecked.
5) spark is ok to all 4 cables and it seems strong enough
6) checked dizzy cup anyways, it had a few  black dirt but nothing special,cleaned it.
7) gasoline feed is ok checked it.
8) put new gasoline just in case
9) i've put gasoline filters before the gasoline pump a month ago with no problems after using it at all
9) only thing i could see and i don't know if its a problem, after removing the air pipe on top of carburator i checked and saw that after throttling a bit, gasoline was running around the tiny metal pipe that sprays gasoline inside the carburator.Shouldnt it run from the tiny pipe ONLY? + on no throttle the tiny tube didnt spray any gasoline nor i could see any of it "leaking" from around it as in throttling.

After messing a bit with electrics too (like after 5 hours breaking my head to find out what is happening) a friend came and just pressed the air lever-choke down then up again(not the throttle , the one above it that blokes the air)on the carburator and it was magically fixed!!! No spluttering AT ALL! I even went for a drive with it. It was fixed!
To clarify things i have pressed the choke myself a lot till this friend came  with 0 results...
I turned engine off, then on again with no spluttering.
Next day i started engine again and the spluttering was there again.... I messed again with the choke lever and after a while it was fixed... The 3rd day whatever i tried to do NOTHING, it kept spluttering like it was dieing.

Today i bought some carburator spray cleaners and opened it. All the needles were ok and clean except the one that is a big gold screw at the left and top of carburator as were facing it on engine. Nothing serious  but it left a stain at the cleaning cloth after spraying it a bit. The sealing rubber that seals the 2 parths of the carb wasn't teared or anything just a bit old but not a problem i believe.
The needles are: main jet 120, air jet is 125? Is the air needle right? The thing is that it was with these needles all this time with no problems.

Help i'm going maddddddd :evil:

p.s.: After checking the diy area of the forum i saw the topic about the jets and drilling them etc. I have to say that i didn't remove this triangular part of the carb for cleaning, so i don;t know if theres somthing worth be doing there.

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Non ending Spluttering... h e l p
« Reply #1 on: 18:51, Mon 23 August 2010 »
bought a carb repair set , i turned carb to bits, cleaned it and reassembled it with new parts. checked leads positioning theyre as they should 1342. tried to turn them away around like opposite and it banged so i changed them back to normal. No air or gasoline leaks on carb. I still can't check the sparkplugs as they seem kinda stuck and dont want to break them. after carb repositioning it works it stays at about 900-1000rpm but it works like on 3 cylinders or like in very weird mixture! :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20:42, Mon 23 August 2010 »
The standard Air Corrector jet should be 125 so thats ok.

I'd check the spark plugs as you say it seems like its running on 3 cylinders. If there was a fuelling problem and it ran very rich it could have sotted up the plugs a bit.

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22:31, Mon 23 August 2010 »
Ty for responce mate, yeah i've still got my hopes on that it will be the plugs since its like the last thing left from the "easy" side of things, if you get my meaning. They're new, but i don't exclude them, since a possible overfueling or oil-dirt could have sut on them. Fingers crossed  :roll:

bye_all_c_ya

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21:41, Tue 24 August 2010 »
just had same problem and found it to be the rubber on the mixture screw??

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22:24, Tue 24 August 2010 »
Changed it, it was inside the service repair kit i bought. Now that you mentioned it, there should only be just one rubber on the mixture screw right?

Plus, i found an extra bigger rubber that i put it around the small tube that sprays gasoline on throttle. it didn't have one before, and it was leaking fuel around the tube. Did i do ok? it fitted nicely though, and i couldnt find any other place to put it ^^

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:39, Wed 25 August 2010 »
Yes it should have a fibre washer or o-ring on it :)

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11:38, Wed 25 August 2010 »
That's cool, i wonder why it didn't have one before with no issues though :shock:
Guys if i spray a bit of wd-40 around the spark plugs and start engine until it gets a bit hot would it do any difference in the removal of the spark plugs? Do you know any other way?

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11:08, Thu 26 August 2010 »
:lol:  :lol:

Ahm, i think i MIGHT 've been running a bit rich, but only a bit  :lol:

And imagine these plugs are 3 months old, while the car was driven not more than 6 hours total.
Cleaned them carefully, then reinstalled and DONE, car running smooth like a cat's belly  :mrgreen: :)

But i kinda wonder why in the earth would it work sooo rich, i mean i'm running stock jets (unless theyre drilled... which i couldn't tell) and the mixture screw is set to work smooth not rich.

e737wgj

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21:43, Thu 04 August 2011 »
Hi Im Jason and im new to the forum. Ive had my gtt for the last 7 yrs but sadly its been in the garage for the majority of that time, its seen the road a few times but never had much luck with it.
I finally decided to get it out the garage in april and get it mot'd which started cheap but blew my budget.....so speed up in time its never really run well, it did ok for a bit, then got worse.

im having the same/similar problem as described. I have tried everything and having come close to the end and giving up to the dreaded ebay for scrap.....i thort id cracked it yesterday after replacing the plugs.....she idled 900-1000 rpm and drove the best since april.

so i think i can safely say that the car is overfuelling/mixture too rich....
I dont know if the carb is modified and begining to think it has been to a dreaded "group A"
I know i can buy a afr meter/wideband, (but cant afford it right now)
or i can re'jet it, cuzi need a quickish/simple solution
so heres the question, after establishind that the carb is chucking to much fuel in....how do i sort it?

pls help! in the mean time ill keep searching the forum

cheers j

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22:05, Thu 04 August 2011 »
hello guys ,my old carb on my 5 is a group a,my mate used it on his car with no problems,when he smashed it i got it from him and fitted to my 5,when it was fitted it did need the idle and stuff sorted ,but when i put it in for mot it was way over the limit of the emmisions test,but what ever we did it would not screw down at all so basically decided to go back to my old carb which i just rebuilt, if you can get another carb and try it instead see what happens !!!

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12:04, Fri 05 August 2011 »
Quote from: "e737wgj"
Hi Im Jason and im new to the forum. Ive had my gtt for the last 7 yrs but sadly its been in the garage for the majority of that time, its seen the road a few times but never had much luck with it.
I finally decided to get it out the garage in april and get it mot'd which started cheap but blew my budget.....so speed up in time its never really run well, it did ok for a bit, then got worse.

im having the same/similar problem as described. I have tried everything and having come close to the end and giving up to the dreaded ebay for scrap.....i thort id cracked it yesterday after replacing the plugs.....she idled 900-1000 rpm and drove the best since april.

so i think i can safely say that the car is overfuelling/mixture too rich....
I dont know if the carb is modified and begining to think it has been to a dreaded "group A"
I know i can buy a afr meter/wideband, (but cant afford it right now)
or i can re'jet it, cuzi need a quickish/simple solution
so heres the question, after establishind that the carb is chucking to much fuel in....how do i sort it?

pls help! in the mean time ill keep searching the forum

cheers j

sollution to overfueling - turn the boost up :mrgreen:

you really need too get someone to check the fueling though. I would save the cash and get an afr guage pronto. 150ish for the AEM Uego :D
 Thats the only way you can be sure that the correct amount of fuel is being burnt. Where are you based?? there are many members here that could possibly help you out if you are close

Have you had the carb apart, which jets are in it??  can you get a shot of another "standard" carb to try

e737wgj

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17:22, Sun 21 August 2011 »
Hi there, thanks for the advise
I stripped the carb down put it back ran the same but....i took off the lobster and looked down the venturi and there was gas pissing down it. sent it to cgb and found that the main jet was a 1.5 and the others on the side were the wrong way wrong. not its been but back to standard and it runs  fantastic!

anyone needing advise/help with this problem let me no...i tried everything before solving this ....literally!

now i gotta get the boost running properly....will keep u guys posted! :D