Author Topic: two intercoolers  (Read 2672 times)

robx1r

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
two intercoolers
« on: 21:59, Sun 03 July 2011 »
The 5 i've put a deposit on has 2 intercoolers??? is there some strange reason? or can i ditch the bigger pace one inside the bay and keep the front mount and put a bigger rad in it

PhoenixAutosport

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: two intercoolers
« Reply #1 on: 11:19, Mon 04 July 2011 »
i would say it would depend on just how much boost the car is running and what your boost temperatures are like, i cant honestly see it "needing" both though unless the thing is running realy insane boost, its most likely the previous owner has got swept up in the whole more is better approach to cooling.
a downside of the much larger capacity of two big intercoolers and associated pipework is it will make the car less responsive as it will take a little longer for the boost pressure to build up when you put your foot down, charge coolers are better in this respect as they are generaly of a lower capacity but more efficient for a given size so if you need the extra cooling then a small charge cooler coupled with one intercooler may be a better choice and allow you a bit more room up front

robx1r

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13:27, Mon 04 July 2011 »
Its running 15 psi so low enough boost. Ill loose the one inside the bay so i can put a bigger rad

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17:50, Mon 04 July 2011 »
There is no need to have 2 intercoolers, as mentioned before its all about how well the intercooler works to cool the inlet charge, if the single cooler can cool it well enough then i would stick with it if not then i would look at a new intercooler.

What turbo you got on the car?

What make of intercooler do you have on there?
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

robx1r

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19:23, Mon 04 July 2011 »
i'm collecting the car in 2 weeks time and i was thinking that having 2 intercoolers is a bit redundant. its a t25 rollerbearing turbo

as for makes of intercooler i couldnt tell you so here is 2 pictures

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20:16, Mon 04 July 2011 »
I'm sure that intercooler is from GT Tuning. It would make sense i suppose because it looks like theres quite a few GT Tuning parts under there.

The triple dump-valve setup seems a bit OTT as well. I had enough of a game just getting one dump valve to stop leaking air.  :shock:

robx1r

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20:33, Mon 04 July 2011 »
there will be changes made to it when i get it alright! for starters the oil, boost and water gauges in the dash dont work :(
there is other ones though.

which is seen to be better the gt tunning ic or a front mount?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21:04, Mon 04 July 2011 »
They are both GT Tuning intercoolers, the standard replacement one is best standard position one you can get, for anything up to 20spi on a T25 or smaller then it'll work fine, after that or bigger turbo i'd go for front mount but for me i'm not keen on GT Tunings one.
I tend to make all my front mount kits, buy one off ebay the size you want then make all the pipework fit whichever route you want to make it go using universal eblows and pipe.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

PhoenixAutosport

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21:07, Mon 04 July 2011 »
if it were my car i would stick with the cooler in the bay and ditch the front mount, the 5 looks great in stock bumpers, a big hole and a lairy intercooler just screams boy racer.
on the subject of a larger rad i would suggest going for an alloy rad of standard size but without an itegral oil cooler as this will effectively give you more cooling area for the water without any fittment problems then just fit an aftermarket oil cooler ahead of the rad

robx1r

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21:49, Mon 04 July 2011 »
where could i get one of those rads?