Author Topic: My F WEG Tungy  (Read 44973 times)

Jeff Ninebar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ninebarsoundsystem.com/.
Re: My F WEG Tungy
« Reply #45 on: 16:49, Tue 17 July 2012 »
Its been a while since I've updated, the 5 was getting a fair bit of use beginning of the year then the MOT ran out and I moved house so not had time to do much with it or be able to drive it. Its started running a bit rought so needs a good service and the rust issues need sorting to make it MOT ready.

So now I'm settled in the new house and have the garage sorted to work on the car, I am starting to sort the rusting problems and fit all the parts I have been collecting over the last year. The car looks ok from the pictures on here but under the body kit and around the car there are lots of rust problems areas.

My first job was to strip the body kit and make a list of all the rust areas and how best to fix them. There is a lot of rust areas and I've pondered over scrapping it and buying a fresh one, or to what degree I take the repair work. I dont want to scrap the car, so I'm going for well done repairs over full restoration, the car is just too far gone for a full resto and I don't have the tools, time, money to do a full strip down and proper restoration. So to cut a long story shot, I've bought a welder, some metal cutting tools, grinder etc and will teach myself what I need to know to fix up the car. I could pay someone to do it but I'd rather invest in my own time and have the tools for future projects.

My aim for the car is to fix the rust problems, underseal the under body and arches, re spray bodywork and inside car, remove engine and paint bay. Refit cleaned and painted engine and new engine parts. Fit new seats and re trimmed interior. New brakes. Refurb wheels and new tyres. new exhaust....so erm yeah a bit of work to come... :o

here are a couple of pics off my phone to start with...more to follow.

Some of the rust:

The Welder:

First repair:

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 22:58, Tue 17 July 2012 »
Admittingly the rear arch does look quite bad, but to be honest I think you would struggle to find another one that didn't require any welding (at a sensible price anyway) I thought mine was reasonably tidy until I started poking around. I did most my cutting and welding just over a year ago for its MOT.

Those rear bumper plates look good. Did you make them yourself? The slots look machined in the pics.  8)  I still have those to do on mine, and a section just behind one of the headlights. I have a Clarke MIG welder also, but the lesser 90amp version (which was more then enough for this thin metal)

Good luck!

Jeff Ninebar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 14:25, Thu 19 July 2012 »
Thats exactly what I decided, to scrap the car and find a clean one would cost more money and still need some welding no doubt.

A pair of new sills have turned up today so I can work out what needs cutting off the car and what can be replaced this weekend. I patched up a hole in the n/s front wheel arch this week, another bit off the list :D

The bumper panels were from gt-turbo-spares via an ebay listing.

danboi2

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 12:42, Thu 26 July 2012 »
There a guy on RTOC called ashy and he makes them 16 posted I think for a pair
he also does the inner sills aswell which most r5's need if the sills are shot

Jeff Ninebar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 10:52, Tue 14 August 2012 »
Some progress on the repairs: started to cut off the rusty passenger sill. There was lots of rust, so I've cut the bottom off the inner sill off all the way along, there is a lot more to clean and cut off before I can weld in the new parts. Going to have to do jacking points. I have them inner sill repair panels and also new outer sills to weld in. Also need to work out how much to cut off the rear quarter...

oh and removing the door pins was not fun. I nearly cut off the hinges :twisted:

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 15:03, Tue 14 August 2012 »
Ooh that looks nasty :shock: good job you dont seem to be put off by it though 8)  keep the pics coming.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 15:47, Tue 14 August 2012 »
I would be brave and just cut the rust out completely, although it looks like you have cut plenty out already!  :D

I remember the front inner sill on mine just falling out.  :lol:  

Jeff Ninebar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 17:10, Tue 14 August 2012 »
going to chop the rest out, just waiting for the jacking points so I know how far to go  :)

Jeff Ninebar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 11:53, Mon 20 August 2012 »
Chopped some more rust off this weekend, cleaned up the inner sill and chopped out the old jacking point. Offered up the inner and out sill panels. Looks like its all going to fit just waitng for the new jacking points so I can finish the offering up and cutting to fit then begin the welding.

need some advice:
1. Should I paint the inner sill panel on the inside before welding?
2. Should I paint the inner panel or any panels before or after seam sealing?

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 21:43, Mon 20 August 2012 »
when you cut up cars you have to be comitted. its easy cutting them off lol just put the same effort back into putting them on. ive always loved the look of this car so it will be nice to see it back on the road  :D
Every day is a school day !

bood

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 21:19, Fri 24 August 2012 »
keep up the strong work, nice looking car

Jeff Ninebar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 11:23, Mon 08 October 2012 »
I took the week off work last week to get some progress made on the sill welding. Picked a good week as it didn't rain to much and got a fair bit done outside. This is the first time I have done this kind of work on a car so it took a lot of thinking about but I am happy with the outcome. Need to do some more welding on the jacking point but the sills are on and its looking like a car again!

lots of pictures...

chopped out old jacking point, left a bit in to weld onto..

offering up inner sill

jacking point welding went badly so need to revisit

inner sill on

Prep'd outer sill for plug welding and rear quarter for panel repairs

panel repair, edge setting tool from machine mart sorted me right out here

quick check the body kit fits

need a bit of filler as the panels warped a bit when welding, but its not too serious, this is where I'm up too, need to smooth out the filler and get the shape of the panel blended in. Once thats done going to primer the repairs, get the jacking point on the drivers side done then its off to the body shop for paint.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 19:08, Mon 08 October 2012 »
Nice job.  8)

First time? I've seen 'experianced' welders do much worse.  :o

dj_craig_

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 21:49, Mon 08 October 2012 »
You shud be proud mate, thats a top job :-)

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 12:31, Tue 09 October 2012 »
Looks like an excellent job you're doing. I did similar with mine a while back only on a much smaller scale, I only had to fabricate relatively small areas of outer sill on both sides. My inner sills were fine. The biggest concern I had was sitting the car up on axle stands while losing rigidity in the chassis after cutting stuff off. That said I reckon the 3dr will be stiffer than the 5-dr anyway.
I'm sure I commented on this car ages back, it's amazing the horrrors they can hide under that kit! Best of luck with the repairs 8)