Author Topic: my renault 5 TR  (Read 3850 times)

rsweeney

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
my renault 5 TR
« on: 17:46, Sat 09 April 2011 »
this is the old renault 5 i own. bodywork isnt great but not much rust, wasnt running right so got to work on the engine and im in the process of restoring her.... slowly.
any suggestions on how to improve the renault are welcome, here are a few pics.

yes that is a dent in the front wing!

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: my renault 5 TR
« Reply #1 on: 21:53, Sat 09 April 2011 »
Please do restore and modify this! Not sure how much inspiration my car would give you as I've been "getting it back on the road" for such a long time now, but they can look really igood in my opinion. Hopefully mine will be back on the road some time this summer and I'll finally be able to get some decent pics up.
The thing about these 5 doors is they're 60mm longer than the 3-drs so they look slightly better lower in my opinion with the extra wheelbase although i think the 3 doors should've been made this way as well. I'd say sort out your running problems 1st then go all over the car for rust. The usual areas are the front and rear bumper mounts, sills, around the windscreen and mine went on the chassis where the rear axle mounts which took quite a bit of sorting!
I've taken the handles off mine all round as they look shite! It takes the emphasis off it being a 5-dr as well.

rsweeney

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08:12, Sun 10 April 2011 »
yeah at the moment its not looking ... its best! well i am just waiting to get some parts through then running problems should not be an issue.it was overfueling before but i put that down to the multiple attempts to start it.
taking the handles off, how do you get into the car then ? is there any plastic trim that can be removed or modified as it looks sh**  ! i have checked for rust, small amount on windscreen. the plastic trims on the doors etc are looking really poor whats the best thing i can do as someone has tried to paint the bumpers in the past making the trim different shades of grey?

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:37, Mon 11 April 2011 »
Just take the door plastics off, it'll look far better without them! There are little studs behind them on the door skins that you'll have to grind flush. A little bit of filler and smoothing then paint will sort it out. As for getting in the car without any handles, I had my alarm installed to open the driver's side window when I disarmed it and then just opened the door from the inside.
If that fails you can always climb in through the boot!  :lol:

rsweeney

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16:31, Mon 11 April 2011 »
ha i saw a bit of bubbling behind the door handles so might leave them untill later !
im going to remove door trim but when you said grind off, use filler then paint i stopped lol where do i get paint from - did you mean just red paint or pay someone to respray ?

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21:27, Mon 11 April 2011 »
You should be able to get the right colour from halfords or your local motor factor. Should be quite easy to paint the areas where the studs were and it's a flat red so no worries about messing about with laquer and blending as this is done with t-cut and polish after you've painted it.

rsweeney

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21:33, Mon 11 April 2011 »
so
1. remove trim
2. grind studs down - what with as grinder might be to tough
3. fill with body filler?
4. spray or brush on paint ?

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21:51, Mon 11 April 2011 »
Quote from: "rsweeney"
so
1. remove trim
2. grind studs down - what with as grinder might be to tough
3. fill with body filler?
4. spray or brush on paint ?
yes, take off all the trim and give it all a good wash as it'll be filthy behind there! I'd grind the studs down with a 100mm sanding disk on the grinder. Don't give it too much pressure as you don't want the area to get too hot as it could warp. Try and get as flush as possible just touching into the paint around the base of the stud. You'll only need a tiny bit of filler for each one so grind them all off carefully first then mix your filler and apply just proud of the area. It should set pretty quick due to the small amount and the weather being half decent at last. Then you'll have to sand the filler flush. Start with something like 600 grit and move up to something like 1200 or or 1600 for final sanding. There's a reasonable guide on it in the Haynes manaul if you've got one.
Defintely don't brush paint it when you're done! Rattle cans are the way forward! I can't remember how close the studs sit to the swage lines now, but the areas you'll be sanding are all nice and flat so you shouldn't really have any trouble..
Post some pics up and let us know how you get on!

rsweeney

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13:03, Fri 15 April 2011 »
ok will do when the cars up for a day or two.

there is a noise coming from the back of the car when traveling that corrosponds to the cars speed? ie its faster when the cars going faster . what can cause this ?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23:35, Fri 15 April 2011 »
ok will do when the cars up for a day or two.

there is a noise coming from the back of the car when traveling that corrosponds to the cars speed? ie its faster when the cars going faster . what can cause this ?

Wheel bearing?

rsweeney

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09:01, Sat 16 April 2011 »
thanks im sure its the wheel bearings now.

is it ok to drive the car with this or is it too dangerous?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10:42, Sat 16 April 2011 »

How bad is it? If it's just rumbling then it should be ok, but rather annoying.

It will need changing sooner rather then later though, as it gets worse you might develop some play in the hub causing dodgy handling. Worse case scenario it will seize up completely.

rsweeney

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10:48, Sat 16 April 2011 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"

How bad is it? If it's just rumbling then it should be ok, but rather annoying.

It will need changing sooner rather then later though, as it gets worse you might develop some play in the hub causing dodgy handling. Worse case scenario it will seize up completely.

its just a really annoying noise at the moment, cant hear the engine over it at about 40mph.

there isnt any play in the rear wheels though