Author Topic: Renault 5 GT Turbo Tungsten Track Car  (Read 7396 times)

elcie

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Renault 5 GT Turbo Tungsten Track Car
« on: 11:43, Thu 17 March 2011 »
Bought this back in July 2010 as a project with the sole idea off just using it for the shell, It had a full re spray a couple of years back and both sills replaced recently, So was a good base to start on. Then I was away in Canada for a month so nothing happened to it for a while.  

I hadn't really touched it since I buying it and it just sat on my drive looking like this for the winter months.

My plans where to fit a 180-200bhp Renault 5 GT Turbo engine I had and turn into a reliable track car. That then went out of the window when I was offered a complete F7P Turbo converted Renault 5 GT Turbo.  It had only done about 1200 miles since the re build and had receipts adding up too thousands so I bought it !

One on the way back from picking it up.

The engine

Now that I had the new engine I thought I better start building the car up.

Over the last 6 months I have been collecting some parts for the build also cleaning up some others that I all ready had like:

Safety devices roll cage

Sabelt 6 point harness and seat

Willwood 4 pots

Carbon fibre bonnet

15" Oz super turismo wheels

Poly bushed sub frame with new wish bone's and ball joints

Starting work on the good grey one

Day one - Interior

Day two - Engine bay

Day three - In the garage, I managed to remove most of the seam sealant and done some of the work getting it ready for painting, still loads more to do though.

Day four - Carried on with the interior, dash, loom and heater out.

Also some help from Daisy.

So that's it so far, I've missed loads of bit's like the 4 hours i spent scraping sound deading off and the roof lining, but all of those picture are on my camera as you can see these one are just the **** ones of my iPhone.

Got so many plans for it in the future, but I'm holding back on alot as i want it ready for Mallory Park 2011.

Will do my best to keep this updated. enjoy :)  Lewis

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Renault 5 GT Turbo Tungsten Track Car
« Reply #1 on: 11:50, Thu 17 March 2011 »
Im loving this thread already  :) , i remember stripping out the sound deadning and my roof had fibreglass resin all over it that had to be sanded away, not an easy job sanding above your head  :lol: , are you not having a dash in there then bud.

elcie

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13:36, Thu 17 March 2011 »
Quote from: "nadgtt1982"
Im loving this thread already  :) , i remember stripping out the sound deadning and my roof had fibreglass resin all over it that had to be sanded away, not an easy job sanding above your head  :lol: , are you not having a dash in there then bud.

Thanks,  :)

Yes it's a horrible job to do, i found just use white sprit takes it off though.

The dash is going back in but I want to lighten it a bit and change a few things then get it flocked.

davidbuttigieg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13:46, Thu 17 March 2011 »
Nice project !  :)

I have seen pictures of your car before.. they are on the gt-turbo-spares website. It seems they had done its restoration ----> http://www.gt-turbo-spares.co.uk/Index. ... &gallery=1

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15:18, Thu 17 March 2011 »
you've been busy, nice work!!

have you done much driving in the F7P turbo'd one?......i bet thats a hoot to rip about in 8)

Gav

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:57, Wed 23 March 2011 »
some serious bits of kit! intrested to see it all together , keep it up

01mlacey

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23:37, Wed 23 March 2011 »
tungsten grey probly best coulor in my eyes

good luck with the project fella

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04:32, Fri 25 March 2011 »
looking good there mate keep us posted with loads of pics want to see how this is gonna turn  out  8)