Author Topic: My ORB  (Read 8380 times)

DaveMayGTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: My ORB
« Reply #15 on: 09:41, Wed 29 June 2011 »
Been a while since last update, should be a few coming over the next 2 weeks.
Existing front end is ready to be cut off this weekend, new one is ready to be welded on so thats the very minimum that should be done this weekend, with a bit of good luck though im hoping it may well be sprayed up this weekend too. If we miss the deadline this weekend then it will be sprayed in 2 weeks time.
Took the gearbox off last night (thanks tony for answering my stupid questions) and will be going to Fishead Tony for a checkover and will wait there after for the shell to arrive at his for Engine to be dropped back in.
Not many pics of this work as its not easy to capture but heres a few anyway.

Mid way through cleaning up inner arch, few bits of rust around bolt holes and on edges so very pleased i decided to strip back before it got worse

Guess thats where 1 of my oil leaks was coming from.

First time for me.

DaveMayGTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10:54, Mon 04 July 2011 »
Quite a big update now then.

Last week i finished getting all the front ends prepped up and started cutting through the seam welds on the passenger side from the previous owners bodge. Got it as ready as possible and on saturday morning we set to work on what i thought was an imposible mission. Remove front end, repair holes on new front end, line up, weld on, primer and spray in our large time window of 1 day.

Here is how she sat before saturday.

Beautiful sunnday day, started about 8:00, 8:08 here.

Started with the most rotten part.

Amazed how easy it was to get the first few panels off, this was 8:33am

Repairing the new front end.

There was a little bit of unexpected extra work as the very end of the chassis rail was shocking that was on the car, luckily we caught this before removing all the chassis rail from the replacement front end. Luckily it was only the section after the wiring has come out so wont effect rigidity and it was decided to cut the very end off and use the good end from the donor front end

No going back now so on with the replacement front end and a quick tack on so we can drop wings and bonnet on and have a look.

Lined up very well, tiny jig and a poke and on with welding up, about 2:15 now so still on track.

Pics stopped around now for a bit as was too busy but finished welding up, protected the welds and decided due to my hate of sealer (think it ruins the bay) we smoothed it all up a bit quick skim over and onto primer and painting. Heres half way through painting which is next pic i got :(

The painting was done from a rattle can as the main goal was get rid of all rust and have a good strait front end, was a special order from my mates bodyshop supplier for a proper match, unfortunately the last can was a bit of a spitter but its tidy enough and most importantly at this point no rust :P

And heres the end result, 18:38 loads of time to spare but pretty damn knackered.

It wont win an award but the rust is gone and all seems good. At the end of the day it will hardly ever be seen but good peace of mind.

Now time to concentrate on engine.

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12:20, Mon 04 July 2011 »
Hats off to you bud, thats alot done in a short space of time :) looks like you went crazy with the paint its everywhere brake reservoire, servo etc :lol: If only i could work that quick :oops:  to many cups of tea for me :wink:

DaveMayGTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11:30, Thu 07 July 2011 »
Thanks m8. Its always good to go crazy with the paint, if its a boring colour then spray it. With more time we may have been more careful :)

DaveMayGTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09:57, Sun 24 February 2013 »
Been a long long time since I updated this, lots of things have changed. Had a full respray again as I fancied a slight change to the colour and to do a better job. Its now rover trophy blue base with 3 Kobalt kandy blue top coats and a clear coat. Had a quick flat and polish but still needs a tiny bit of finishing work.

Also done the dials as mine were pretty much white. Had them for years but always been too afraid.

Interior has now been fitted also

timotei1980

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11:52, Sun 24 February 2013 »
I can't see the pics

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21:05, Sun 24 February 2013 »
Looks good Dave.

DaveMayGTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17:22, Sun 24 March 2013 »
Thanks Steve, not seen what projects your doing at mo, you up to much?

Done a few boring jobs over last few weeks, took out the rear windows to get old stickers and sticker marks off, tried to black up the black strip around the edge, sort of worked. Clocks are in and looking so bright and all working! Took the rear arch off as the fixings were broken so fixed those so it won't flap about.

Bit more motivation as it looks like car will be used for my wedding next year.
Want a standard front bumper if anyone is interested in a swap for one on my car that is in very nice condition but has been cut for front mount. Need to think about interior also, gear knob and front seats, eek.