Author Topic: Turbo Rebuild  (Read 1955 times)

Chadster

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Turbo Rebuild
« on: 19:29, Mon 24 January 2011 »
How much work is involved in rebuilding/refurbsihing a standard turbo off gt turbo engine as i am after one for my conversion but most of the ones i am coming acrross need rebuilding or some maintanance work done to them

Is it adviceable to avoid these ones?

any help is greatly appreciated

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 19:51, Mon 24 January 2011 »
Rebuilding turbo's is best left to the professionals mate, there's alot of precise maching needed when rebuilding them. Don't let it scare you though as it doesn't cost as much as you think.

If your having one rebuild then doesn't matter what state the turbo is you start with.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

Chadster

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19:54, Mon 24 January 2011 »
where is best place to send one to get rebuilt then?

what it is, is the engine i am buying to put into my campus doesnt come with the carb or turbo and im jut looking at sourcing each of them but wasnt sure if it was worth swerving turbos that need rebulding

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20:00, Mon 24 January 2011 »
Turbo Developments in London mate (0208 5603927), good bunch of boys down there and can't fault them.
If you phone them up ask for Adam and say i sent you, or if you not too sure i can always sort a turbo for you as i deal with them alot.

Chadster

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20:14, Mon 24 January 2011 »
yeah i will give them a cool then maybe bud unless you can sort me out a turbo for a good price :) got any carbs in at the moment?? been offered one for 45 but would prefer to get it off you or someone on here so i can come back to/for advice in future

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20:28, Mon 24 January 2011 »
I can ask for you mate thats not a problem, i got to go there next week as having a Tw8 rebuilt for someone.

I do have a standard carb here at the moment mate although may have found few more so will poss have few spare ones soon.

Chadster

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20:46, Mon 24 January 2011 »
yea please bud if you could ask, and i can always send it up cant i, it is prob a good idea to get it done anyway as the engine i am buying has litteraly jsut been rebuilt and the gearbox.... not even driven since rebuild

yea if you could let me know about the carb aswell, wont be looking to buy one till months time anwyay mate,

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21:02, Mon 24 January 2011 »
Thats cool mate i will let you know on both very soon mate.

baptie0

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22:03, Mon 24 January 2011 »
I just rebuilt my t2 with a 360 thrust bearing and new shaft bearings etc.
I used some of the missus nail polish to mark the positions of the turbine wheel in relation to the compressor wheel, and lined it all back up on reassembly, all thats needed is very small circlip pliers
and to be careful when removing the turbine housing as you can damage the wheel.  no problems
yet at 18 psi, but time will tell.  :D

Chadster

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22:07, Mon 24 January 2011 »
Quote from: "baptie0"
I just rebuilt my t2 with a 360 thrust bearing and new shaft bearings etc.
I used some of the missus nail polish to mark the positions of the turbine wheel in relation to the compressor wheel, and lined it all back up on reassembly, all thats needed is very small circlip pliers
and to be careful when removing the turbine housing as you can damage the wheel.  no problems
yet at 18 psi, but time will tell.  :D

good effort bud