Author Topic: 1989 Renault 5 GT Turbo  (Read 7483 times)

MATT BLACK

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
1989 Renault 5 GT Turbo
« on: 12:30, Mon 08 November 2010 »
As many of you are aware I bought this 99% completely standard car last month with the intention of restoring it back to its former glory.

I've been looking for a standard one at the right price for sometime so when this one popped up for sale in the classifieds one Friday night i went over to see it and ended up driving it back home. The only mods were a badly set up bleed valve, green filter and a back box.

My main objective is to get the car mechanically perfect ( ie - make sure everything works as it should ) So the first job was to remove the turbo and check it for signs of wear and tear. After removal i noticed the wastegate housing was quite badly cracked so i replaced the unit with a BTN service exchange unit for the time being ( superb quality ) and refitted the unit with new gaskets and seals. When i bought the car i noticed the vac pipes had been removed and incorrectly refitted so i fabricated new pipes and connectors and returned the pipework to standard manufacturers spec.

Whilst the turbo was off i also fitted a new radiator ( 7701414002 ) to improve cooling. A little re-wiring was required as the original loom was looking a little tired.

A new ex manifold / turbo heatshield ( 6001009529 ) was ordered from Renault and fitted. The perculation fan had burnt out upon inspection so i replaced this with a good working second hand unit along with a new perc fan sensor and carb sensor + fabricated a new loom with connectors. All working fine now.

The cooling system was then flushed and replenished with new coolant and the engine oil was also drained and replenished with new oil + a genuine Renault filter. A new fuel filter was also fitted.

The 3" rear back box was also removed and fitted with a new standard Genuine Renault unit ( 7700436453 ) the rest of the section was re-aligned and fitted with new rubber mounts ( 7700779356 )

I then set about rejetting the 2nd stage jet in the solex 32 dis carb to improve fueling at high boost ( many thanks to all concerned for your help ) this seems to have worked quite well.

Once this was done i fitted new plugs, new distributor cap, new rotar arm and plug leads. The "Green" air filter which had been fitted withought much thought, has now been removed and a standard Renault set up fitted ( just waiting for the top pipe off ebay )

The engine is running a hell of a lot better now - just needs setting up on the rollers / wideband.

Next job is running gear ( brakes / wheel bearings / suspension ) and next year the car is going in for a full repaint.

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
Re: 1989 Renault 5 GT Turbo
« Reply #1 on: 12:35, Mon 08 November 2010 »
Matt looking very good keep up the hardwork.  Always nice to see restorations from the beginning  :D

MATT BLACK

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12:59, Mon 08 November 2010 »
Cheers.

Didnt want to start the bodywork till spring due to the bad winters we have up here.

If you look closely at the pic of the engine you can see the "green filter", which was originally fitted about 10mm from the turbo. There wasnt even a heatshield covering the turbo and it had started to burn the wire element of the unit. It was literally sucking in hot air.

The last pic of the engine is the final set up with the new heatshield and standard airbox ( just waiting for the cold air feed pipe from ebay )

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14:23, Mon 08 November 2010 »
Two things.

The dump valve.

Law dictates now that you must remove these devices as soon as possible due to excessive noise and get it  bunged at your earliest possible convinience*

* is actually incorrect , but they are hateful things

The air filter - is it in good knick other than the small smoulder marks ?

MATT BLACK

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15:01, Mon 08 November 2010 »
lol  :D - I do still have the original one piece intercooler hose but i do like the noise of a dump valve so unless it affects the performance i will keep it ( shall i get my coat ? )

The green filter will go again - you can have it if you want.

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15:39, Mon 08 November 2010 »
Nice unmolested 5 you got there fella.

With regards to the dump valve im with you on that one i like the sound of them to, and to all that dont know me im not a chav far from it in fact :lol:

MATT BLACK

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17:28, Mon 08 November 2010 »
Dump valves noisy you say ? You want to hear the cut outs on my other motor ......

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4694/300c006.mp4

SALTY

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19:43, Mon 08 November 2010 »
This the one that was for sale up at bassetlaw (worksop)?

James

MATT BLACK

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08:20, Tue 09 November 2010 »
Thats the one - was in the autotrader.

Tatty as hell and drove like a pig  :D ( O/S wheel bearing was sh**ged - now replaced ) but its original and straight.

MATT BLACK

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:07, Sat 20 November 2010 »
Well the exhaust manifold started blowing this week so i decided to remove it and find out what the problem was and typically enough it was the gasket. Whilst i had the manifold off i decided to fit a brand new starter motor ( Genuine Renault unit ) and also a new starter motor heat shield which are still available from the dealers !!  Once this was done i thought to myself why not whip the head off and fit a new gasket just for peace of mind......so i did.

The head was in pretty good nick although very dirty so i took it down to my local engineering shop ( Weir st engineering 01254 59544 ) were they stripped it down, gave it a chemical bath to clean it up, re-faced it, pressure checked it, fitted new valve stem oil seals and re-seated the valves.

A brand new head gasket set was ordered from Renault along with a new water pump and other various parts for the rebuild which starts today. The exhaust manifold has been checked for damage and repainted in high temp resistant paint along with the inlet manifold. Once its all assembled i will post some more pics.

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11:07, Sat 20 November 2010 »
Your doing some good work there fella keep the work up with pics to 8) . You werent lying about the head being dirty looks lovely now though.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11:08, Sat 20 November 2010 »
Yikes!

That cylinder head really was filthy.  :shock:

The face looks spotless now, was there any corrosion? When i had mine cleaned/skimmed etc it was all corroded around where the liners seal (obviously not had proper coolant over the years) so i had to have it ground out, welded and skimmed flat.

Looks like a really good, proper job!  8)