Author Topic: My renault 5 GT turbo world........  (Read 2825 times)

shellshockedalex

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
My renault 5 GT turbo world........
« on: 02:17, Mon 08 November 2010 »
So i bought my first turbo when i was 24 and the day i bought it the head gasket blew! So off came the head for a full head rebuild and new radiator as this was the cause of the problem, i dont know what it is i just love these little cars. This was my first......

Then i sold it and a few years later i had bought this which i treated to a full respray.....

And then there was this...........

Now here is my story, i have owned this car for six years now, and have driven it once in all that time, why you ask, well i will tell you. I bought this car from the north east and when i viewed it all looked ok, nice paint job, it started, it stopped, it boosted a little, bit of MOT and Tax so i handed over the cash!!! But guess what i had just bought  a "lemon", over the exiting prospect of owning another GT turbo i stupidly forgot to look under the car  :oops: When i got the thing home is when i started to discover what i had done, so after a few weeks i started to think about its future, it did'nt have one! And so the years went by........ 1 year.....3 years......6 years, from time to time the car would pop into my head and it would come into some conversations about how i had this old Renault 5 GT Turbo stashed away in this garage a mate of mine has, only to embarrassed to tell them how the car came to be locked away. That is until about a couple of weeks ago, i had a call from my mate saying the car needed shifting, so it was decision time scrap/break it, or do something i have wanted to do for a long time but feared defeat which was rebuild it! I am going down the road/track style, i have a picture in my head and dont know how long it is going to take, i just hope i can see it to the end. Here is what i found after a week of pulling it to bits and poking around......

[/IMG]

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: My renault 5 GT turbo world........
« Reply #1 on: 09:29, Mon 08 November 2010 »
Good luck with the restoration, thats alot of tinworm, the most I've seen on a restoration project I think. Looks like sills, jacking points, floor pans, front/rear bumper mounting points...
All fairly easy to do as long as you know what you are doing & have time.. the floor pan looks pretty bad, has it gone through to the chassis rail/Inner sills as well, may make it difficult to weld...

shellshockedalex

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:53, Mon 08 November 2010 »
Know what i am doing......     :lol: i have never undertaken anything like this before, i have the time and i can mig too but i havent picked up a mig in over 10 years. I understand what you are saying but anything is possible isint it? I want to learn, and i want to see if i can do it! The car just has to be made solid as it will be used for a little road and track fun. I have seen some of the cars people are bringing back to life and yes it does look a bit rusty  :lol: bit of weld here and a bit of weld there..... this is no joke! Your input is much valued.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:25, Mon 08 November 2010 »
Quote from: "shellshockedalex"
Know what i am doing......     :lol: i have never undertaken anything like this before, i have the time and i can mig too but i havent picked up a mig in over 10 years. I understand what you are saying but anything is possible isint it? I want to learn, and i want to see if i can do it! The car just has to be made solid as it will be used for a little road and track fun. I have seen some of the cars people are bringing back to life and yes it does look a bit rusty  :lol: bit of weld here and a bit of weld there..... this is no joke! Your input is much valued.
Glad you feel that way, be good to see another saved, esp if the cosmetic side of the car is still tip top...

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16:42, Mon 08 November 2010 »
I think Baz's 5 had a similarly bad floor, but only on the drivers side.

Good luck with the welding.  8)

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:02, Fri 12 November 2010 »
yeah check bazr5gtt's thread for inspiration! Yours is probably not as bad as his was. He even changed his complete o/s rear wing the nutter!

shellshockedalex

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19:03, Sat 13 November 2010 »
Yeh i have seen it  8) got to hand it to him for his work, and a few others for that matter!!!