Author Topic: My Phase 1 project  (Read 4219 times)

Elmogtt

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
My Phase 1 project
« on: 07:10, Mon 11 October 2010 »
Well after a couple of years of wanting another GTT i finally cracked yesterday and bought one.  :D It a pearl white phase 1, 3 owners and only 57K. It a competely standard car but needs some tidying to return to former glory. I'll get some pics loaded up later

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc279/elmof2/GTT/

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: My Phase 1 project
« Reply #1 on: 14:56, Mon 11 October 2010 »
That looks in pretty good shape  :D And the interior looks nice and un-abused, which is always handy.
What's it like in the usual rusty spots?

I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished  8)

Elmogtt

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18:42, Mon 11 October 2010 »
Quote from: "scratcher"
That looks in pretty good shape  :D And the interior looks nice and un-abused, which is always handy.
What's it like in the usual rusty spots?

I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished  8)

I was very surprised with the lack of rust, nothing on bumper supports, from what i can see sills are solid. Inner wings and engine bay no rust anywhere. Only the windscreen panel is rusty, going to replace this soon.

I think the bodykit was originally black or grey; so one of my first jobs is putting it back black. Going to get alloys referb'ed

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18:57, Mon 11 October 2010 »
That's a result then  8)

On the pearly white Phase 1's the bumpers were made that colour in the moulds. Only the red, black, silver and blue one's had the grey bumpers  :)
Or have your's been smoothed and painted?

Elmogtt

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:00, Tue 12 October 2010 »
The bumpers and kit have the dimples. I guess that they are just looking a bit tired then. I'm going to get the bodykit painted a matt back as I like the phase  1 retro look with the black kit. Jobs to do:
Fix fuel pump wiring ( running constantly)
Engine and carb service
Setup boost( massively overboosting)
New lock kit
Replace windscreen panel.

Around may next year planning a complete respray and waxoil to finish the car off for the summer.

Loving driving a gtt again, why did I wait 15 years!!!

hoolio

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:26, Wed 13 October 2010 »
Quote from: "Elmogtt"
The bumpers and kit have the dimples. I guess that they are just looking a bit tired then. I'm going to get the bodykit painted a matt back as I like the phase  1 retro look with the black kit.

That would be a real shame, I realise it's your car but once you do that there is no going back and they are getting as rare as these days. but well done for rescuing another.

Elmogtt

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:58, Thu 14 October 2010 »
Right, I'm after peoples views on what to do with paint finish on my phase one. The bumpers will need paint, as there are some small repairs and they look tatty. So options are:
Body, bumpers and kit painted pearl White
Body pearl, bumpers and kit matt black
Body glacier White, bumpers and kit matt black

What ever option car will be kept in original trim

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14:18, Thu 14 October 2010 »
Id probably veer towards pearl on everything so it looks fresh imo, keep us posted with lots of pics :D  :D

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #8 on: 14:28, Thu 14 October 2010 »
Retain the pearl white and spray if the bodykit has had repairs i would personally go for the pearl white spray on them aswell.

rich1_2_3

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15:02, Sun 31 October 2010 »
pics?

Elmogtt

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15:44, Fri 07 January 2011 »
Well i havent been on here for a while, work and Uni have taken over my life. Hoping to make some progress on the car over the next 6 months. I've already sorted a few issues out and fitted new fuel pump relay and fixed the Coolant fan wiring.
Plan for the next few months are:

Remove engine and gearbox and rebuild engine, plus fit piper 185 cam
save for a new turbo!!!
Fit new windscreen panel.
repaint engine bay
powercoat front subframe
re-trim interior; well replace the black section of seats as they have worn. centers are in good condition.
Fit new dashboard.
clean carpet or possibly replace.
Prep bodywork for a respray.

I need a replacement drivers door and a rear bumper, and i've also noticed that there are a few new front phase 2 bumpers floating around. I might fit a new front one, i wanted to keep body original, but is the only difference the fog light size between a phase 1 and 2 bumper.

I've just designed a in car monitor for a uni project that shows various car parameteres on a LCD screen, so i'm going to fiit this during the rebuild. I'm going to display:
Head temperature
Air Temperature
Battery voltage
Oil pressure or boost (cant decide yet).

probably not going to make much head way before the start of the F1 season, as work is mad at the moment getting a car ready for valencia.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16:42, Fri 07 January 2011 »
I need a replacement drivers door and a rear bumper, and i've also noticed that there are a few new front phase 2 bumpers floating around. I might fit a new front one, i wanted to keep body original, but is the only difference the fog light size between a phase 1 and 2 bumper.

Are the foglights different? I didn't realise that. The Phase 2 bumper has a 'chin', have a look at the pictures gallery on the main site.

Any more info on the LCD screen gadgetry? Sounds interesting.

Elmogtt

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10:31, Sat 08 January 2011 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"

Are the foglights different? I didn't realise that. The Phase 2 bumper has a 'chin', have a look at the pictures gallery on the main site.

Any more info on the LCD screen gadgetry? Sounds interesting.

well i never noticed the phase 1 bumper doesnt have the lower lip, and how many times have i looked at my car!!!

I've got the car monitor working on the bench so i'll get some pics loaded up over the weekend.

Elmogtt

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19:21, Wed 19 January 2011 »
Yay my garage if finally sorted and clear  :D

Got my replacment windscreen panel through today, so mght make a start over the weekend of removing windscreen and drilling out the spot welds. pics will be uploaded during the repacement.

Its looking like the car is going to be painted electric blue, it my fav colour for a phase 1 anyway. Main reason is the pearl white is a pain in the ass to paint, it needs a base, then the pearl and then the clear coat.

love this look  :D

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17:21, Fri 21 January 2011 »
Good choice dude  8)  Definitely the best colour.