Author Topic: Rio to GTT Replica (For now)  (Read 2638 times)

binge

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Rio to GTT Replica (For now)
« on: 19:49, Thu 16 September 2010 »
I picked up a little R5 rio a little while ago. It was initially just a cheap "Get me around" until I buy myself another VW Golf.

I seem to have fallen in love with the little car though, And since buying it 2 weeks ago, It's already looking like a  GT Turbo at a glance.  :lol:

The main reason I've opted to spend a bit of cash on it, is because it's such a solid shell.
I had to plate a little scab on the drivers sill, there has already been a repair on the passenger sill. And the passenger sill right at the front has collapsed slightly, but not on the sill, It's like, in front of it, just in the arch. I'll plate that when I get time.

Other than these little niggles, it's a rock hard shell, if a little faded.  :lol:

So to start the pictures off, Here's the car the day I bought it.

After a 300 mile round trip to collect some bits off a fellow forum member, a few hours of fitting, and half a day fettling with the suspension. It began to look a little better...

Side skirts are a bit of a nasty fit. I decided to cut all the top "hook" mounts off the skirts with the grinder, most of them were broke anyway.
It also meant I could fit my new trim strips because they are a different fit to the standard ones.
Once I've done all the bodywork and bits/pieces, I'll just bond the side skirts on with something strong! :)

Today, I had to remove something. I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a fork than do it again...

I also did this:

Stripping it out gave me chance to hoover all the nooks and crannies out, wash everything down, check for any rust/rot, and generally tidy things up before the interior goes back in.

I also wires the sub/amp alot better, I've ran the cables along side the loom so it'll be invisible when the car is back to normal. :)

Will update as and when.

Just a side note, can anybody please give me a quick run down on engine swaps.
I obviously want a bigger engine eventually. But I really dont have time or space to be making up mounts, cut/shut drive shafts etc.

What will go straight in this thing? Ideally a 1.8L naturally aspirated engine as apposed to a 1400 GTT engine.
I dont mind fitting GTT parts, like drive shafts, hubs, gearbox etc. Will a 1.8 8v Clio engine mount up to a GTT box?

Cheers

Ben

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rio to GTT Replica (For now)
« Reply #1 on: 19:58, Thu 16 September 2010 »
Good news, the 1.8 Clio engine fits the R5 gearbox, and as far as i am aware the mounts are the same as well.

binge

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20:57, Thu 16 September 2010 »
Okay thats a good start.

Now the question is, Which 1.8 Clio engine?

I'm assuming I can just chuck GTT hubs and drive shafts on my Rio, and drop the box straight in.
Would it be wise to run up a 1.8 engine on my Rio box? It is a 5 speed, if that makes any difference.

As for which engine... I'd rather go with a carb'd engine again. Not entirely sure where I stand with running an injection engine on the R5.
Fuel pump? Dont the tanks need to have a return feed?

Cheers

Ben

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17:50, Fri 17 September 2010 »
Quote from: "binge"
Okay thats a good start.

Now the question is, Which 1.8 Clio engine?

I'm assuming I can just chuck GTT hubs and drive shafts on my Rio, and drop the box straight in.
Would it be wise to run up a 1.8 engine on my Rio box? It is a 5 speed, if that makes any difference.

As for which engine... I'd rather go with a carb'd engine again. Not entirely sure where I stand with running an injection engine on the R5.
Fuel pump? Dont the tanks need to have a return feed?

Cheers

Ben

If you are using the standard brakes you can still use the original hubs and shafts if you want, if not swap them all for gt turbo ones but the brakes need swaping too.

You can still use the standard box too, a gt turbo box will fit but its got an electronic speedo so that won't connect up to the original clocks

How about going for a clio RSI engine, its is single point injection (from what i remember) but its not hard to fit as the 5 gt turbo fuel pump will do the job, fit a gt sender unit and new fuel lines if needed and tha't'll be the fuel system done.
The engine will fit in on a 5 GTX front mount and will bolt to the gearbox, use all the wiring and pipework from the clio and it'll all fit in the 5 engine with little bit of work.  :D

If you want carbs could also modify bike carbs onto the 1.8, from memory no 1.8 come with a carb as standard.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #4 on: 19:37, Sat 18 September 2010 »
Car looks good mate, glad to see Clints bodykit and wheels got put to good usage

binge

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19:56, Mon 04 October 2010 »
Since the picture the rear light lower trims have been colour coded.

binge

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23:03, Sat 23 October 2010 »
Removed the Turbo badge from the back.
Got a set of lowering dampers to fit tomorrow, so the front end should sit lower.
Got some fog lights fitted.

GTT brakes and hubs yet to fit, also got a few other little odds and sods to do.

Engine should be in over the next few weeks.

Then the final job to do will be a red blow over to bring the colour back. Will get the dents sorted at the same time.

And the best "mod" so far was the flat blade conversion. Took a bit of modifying to get them to fit. Give a much better wipe. A bit like using a baby wipe instead of loo roll.  8)

binge

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19:41, Sun 24 October 2010 »

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #8 on: 19:57, Sun 24 October 2010 »
Quote from: "binge"

Ben, whats with the excessive camber at the front

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22:24, Sun 24 October 2010 »
My drivers wheel used to look like that, tracking was miles out.

Or it could be dodgy top mount?

binge

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22:38, Sun 24 October 2010 »
Tracking is spot on, did it at work today.
I've fitted JR lowering struts and springs.
When I fitted them with the GTT Top mounts, the ride height was too high, so tried with the campus top mounts, it dropped it to a nice ride height, but chucked the camber to a crazy angle.

Not to worry, tyres cost me shirt buttons, and the handling is absolutely amazing! :)

So GTT Struts with Campus top mounts = really low, and crazy camber.

Ben