Author Topic: r5 turb box probs  (Read 1338 times)

SarahR5GT

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
r5 turb box probs
« on: 12:57, Sun 05 September 2010 »
Hey guys.
I was just wondering if anyone knows about boxes and diffs cause I was driving the other day and driving sensibly also, and the car went bang, I thought it was the clutch cause the thrust bearing started to go (i think)..
I tried to push it down the road and it locked up but managed to move it, however it still engages in every gear and the clutch still goes in and out..
One garage thought it was the box, another thinks its the diff??
The second garage cant move it either cause its just completely locked up now..
What do you lot think??

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: r5 turb box probs
« Reply #1 on: 14:04, Sun 05 September 2010 »
Sounds like something in the box has gone, if its locking up then something broke off and jamming the diff or gears solid. Did you loose drive when the box went bang?

Also might be worth checking the driveshafts too just incase the cv joints haven't exploded.
See if the drivshafts turn when its in gear and driving, i'd put car on axle stands just incase.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

SarahR5GT

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18:03, Sun 05 September 2010 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
Sounds like something in the box has gone, if its locking up then something broke off and jamming the diff or gears solid. Did you loose drive when the box went bang?

Also might be worth checking the driveshafts too just incase the cv joints haven't exploded.
See if the drivshafts turn when its in gear and driving, i'd put car on axle stands just incase.

yeah lost drive when went bang still would go in gear and clutch still went in rolled it down hill in to garage . but when it got towed on to truck is now stuck and will not turn over i think hre said any ideas

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18:13, Sun 05 September 2010 »
Ok if the engine won't turn over now then deffinately sounds like something has gone in the box, only way to see what is to strip the box down.

Easy fix is going to be fitting replacement box.

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:32, Sat 11 September 2010 »
I had similar happen to my JB5 box on my R9 a few years ago, although I was giving it abuse at the time. There was a tremendous crunch as it went into 2nd but it still drove fine for another mile or so. It was only when I tried putting it in reverse turning round in my girlfriend's road that it wouldn't go, then it wouldn't go in any gear at all after that.
When I finally took it apart and looked inside it was a right mess, looked like it had exploded :|

SarahR5GT

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17:03, Sun 12 September 2010 »
Quote from: "5-Mission"
I had similar happen to my JB5 box on my R9 a few years ago, although I was giving it abuse at the time. There was a tremendous crunch as it went into 2nd but it still drove fine for another mile or so. It was only when I tried putting it in reverse turning round in my girlfriend's road that it wouldn't go, then it wouldn't go in any gear at all after that.
When I finally took it apart and looked inside it was a right mess, looked like it had exploded :|

Well the box the guy put in my car now, it crunches in 2nd, most of the time, not every single time but most of the time and crunches in reverse tooo :(

...New box again im guessing>?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17:10, Sun 12 September 2010 »
If its crunching in second gear sounds like synchro's have gone or it could be that the linkage needs adjusting, do you know how the linkage was taken off when the box was swapped.

Did the box come from a working car?