Author Topic: My white 5 gtt  (Read 42519 times)

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: My white 5 gtt
« Reply #120 on: 20:55, Mon 23 May 2011 »
Found some spare audi sump sealer in my box and it did the trick cheers ash  8)

Tweaked the accel pump to come on alittle sooner prob 4.5mm drill bit, hoping this cures the lean spike coming on boost and fitted a bleed valve to raise it up to 14psi rather than 10psi  :D

rolling road power run on saturday fingers crossed it comes out good  :D

Going to be busy now for a while with other things but the interior is next on the list   :mrgreen:

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 20:19, Mon 30 May 2011 »
Rolling road video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLjcU_UH ... r_embedded

Print outs.

Flywheel power and torque 133.6bhp and 166.7ftlb

Wheel power and torque 109.5bhp and 136.6ftlb

Should be much better and less of a spike of power when i've changed to a better boost controller rather than the bleed valve i had kicking about and used in a rush   :lol:

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 09:20, Tue 31 May 2011 »
Well done fella, she's a beauty 8)

Loving the stretch granada by the way, my mate used to have a black one then he raced it  :evil: hes well into his banger racing though but it was still a crime.

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 18:56, Fri 24 June 2011 »
OK well where do i start since the rolling road

Tappets got really noisy, so aroudn 600 miles on the engine thought a reset tappets and fix the poxy rocker cover leaky fibre washers would be good

So stripped it all down started to adjust and then thinks why is the cylinder 2 rocker shaft bolt moving grabed the bolt and it pulled straight without any effort

The threads stripped out completely which i can only think back to when i missed and gear and over rev'd it alot

So i helicoiled and put a new bolt in job done i thought?...... nope turning both cylinder 2 push rods they have a very slightly bend in them

So adjusted it up for now and the engine still idles sweet and drives smooth.

Forward on a few weeks of the car being garaged up not being drive to today..
The day before i go to modified live at brands hatch....thinking i could get a 20 mins session with the 5

So got to work all good no leaks

Drive home was great, driving it quite quickly on the motorway overtaking and listening to radio 1 loudly... slow down for my slip road

WTF is that noise... sounded like a grrrrrrrrr, so change into 4th and noise gone change back into 5th and grrrrrrrr

Still got drive in 5th so thought maybe the nut had worked loose

Got home jacked it up f1 pit crew styley

Within 10 mins the cover was off and foudn the problem, it soon came clear that I wont be taking the 5 to brands hatch tomorrow or being able to drive through dartford tunnel on the way home

5th gear nut is tight but 5th gear is missing a few teeth look in the cover and found the teeth and some needle rollers from a bearing in there

Also what is this part? as it looks pretty battered

it was loose inside this shaft

Now the count down begins as the car is booked for snetterton track day taster on the 24th of july

So i need to get a gearbox in for that as a temp fix or swap 5th gear over and hope the rest of the box is fine or find a good refurbed box to put in

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 21:45, Fri 24 June 2011 »
not good, but from the work weve seen you do you'll have it done in know time  :)

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 00:06, Sat 25 June 2011 »
I had the same problem with the bolts for the rocker shaft mounts.

I drilled and tapped M6 i think, or the next size up from what they were. Had to do the same thing for the 3 bolts that hold the carb top on. Fine alloy threads strip away very easily.

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 22:19, Mon 27 June 2011 »
yeah i used a m6x1.00 helicoil set
but the original holes i think are actually m7x1.00? very hard to find then you have to find a bolt the same m7x1.00 which will be just as hard   :roll:

found out the 5th gear oil feed on the end cover had sheered off causing 5th to starve of oil and melt the needle roller bearing and thus killing the gear

Another gearbox has been sourced but i'll be changing 5th gear over with the box in the car as its far too hot to be taking gearboxs in and out again  :mrgreen:

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 22:54, Tue 28 June 2011 »
Right busy evening for me

Went over to cambridge to collect my winnings and i've scored alot more than i thought   :mrgreen:

won on ebay
head
gearbox
carb
loads of interior switchs
+ got given for free
a set of push rods
inlet manifold
exhaust manifold
water pump + housing
fuel regulator
rocker cover
uprated head bolts which i'll bin as new ones are cheap enough

Manky looking Gearbox

Head + manifolds

Rocker cover + push rods + uprated head bolts

T2 turbo going away to be made into a t25/t2 hybrid = more power = bigger grin  :mrgreen:    

Carb that needs tlc

Stripped the head down to a bare head, valves and springs ready for measuring thickness and straightness then of for a crack test and skimming in the future when money allows

Gearbox stripped down
Cover is good and 5th gear is fine  just need to find out how to swap them in situ as this gearbox is too manky internally to put in the car

Taught the bro how to strip a 5 carb and check jet sizes. its all standard jets so i'll be ultrasonic tanking it to make it uber clean through out and treating it to gasket set

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 18:27, Thu 30 June 2011 »
been having a go trying to get these gears off with no pullers that fit at home

Screwdrivers + blow torch and hammer =  :mrgreen:  

5th gear and everything is off  :mrgreen:

Now time to order a curry from the local and then take the one off the car in situ, this could get interesting  :eek:

Might have the car back for the weekend at this rate  8)

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 21:53, Thu 30 June 2011 »
Might have an issue
Doner 5th gear's are different sizes, thickness, design and ratio's, to what i have on the car  

The doner is jb3 032 and the one in the car is jb3 014, both have the same diff ratios and gear ratios so they should be the same, yet visually there different gears
So did a bit of checking and i think someone has swapped mine over before for maybe a campus gearset at some point as thats the only guess i have as to why they are different and the reason behind me finding bits of needle roller in the casing with the gears

After finding what other bits i need to swap to make it work without grinding the casing it was all put back together with loctite

Broken needle roller casing

Broken 5th gear teeth

Broken vs new

5th gear difference between new and old

5th gear teeth design difference

Difference between other gear of 5th between old and new

Back together

Good vs bad end covers

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 17:39, Sat 23 July 2011 »
Right been giving him some tweeking over the week while he's been garaged up after a 2 week daily use mission with no problems  :shock:

Replaced all the blowns dash button bulbs  and dial bulbs now i can see what i'm pressing
Strut brace is back on
Fiddled with the carb enrichment pump adjustment
Carried out the "cup" mod now boost is up to around 16-15psi

Then today the track prepping began for snetterton track day

Took him out today after putting in 200ml of millers extra cool (3.6% mix with renault premix coolant and a bottle of millers octane booster to stop any det that may come with the increased heat from 20 mins of abuise

Coolant temps are now alot more steady than before.
When giving it some abuise the temp moves up a little but not half as much as before but the temp comes down alot quicker than before so its doing its job well  8)

Adjusted the brake bias as it was majorly to the rear so i could bed the new pads and disc's in. So now its more to the front.

Changed the oil aswell still using mineral oil for now as its working fine and i want to make sure its bedded in 100% as i've only done 950 miles since i built the block, will wait till around 1500 miles before i start using semi synth

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 17:45, Mon 25 July 2011 »
Got some pictures sent to me of yesterday

The car survived so we was happy

also a video where you can see where i slowed to let the mini overtake me @ about 5 minutes in ( mini looked great overtaking and then the R5 overtaking the mini after it overheated @ around 8 minutes

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjWnDvG79Y&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 22:45, Mon 25 July 2011 »
well done mate ,she looks really good on the track,bet your glad after all that hard graft? 8)

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 22:53, Mon 25 July 2011 »
I love this pic.  8)

I really must drop the rear of mine a touch to line it up with the front.

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 23:18, Mon 25 July 2011 »
i want to raise mine up the slightist of touchs as its a bit low and not much suspension travel

ordered
full polyrace bush kit
and braided brake lines
renault clutch cable and choke cable

next will be brembo discs and some pads not sure of make yet

then coilovers  :mrgreen: