Author Topic: tungy  (Read 27571 times)

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: tungy
« Reply #15 on: 22:29, Sat 06 November 2010 »
I run 20PSI, no idea on what power it's making but it's an absolute riot to drive.  8)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22:26, Wed 10 November 2010 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
I run 20PSI, no idea on what power it's making but it's an absolute riot to drive. 8)

Whats the spec of your carb ash?
I need to get bigger jets for when I take it to get set up on RR but don't know what sizes I should buy, but there around 10 bucks each from k-tec so don't want to be paying for unneccesary ones!

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23:12, Wed 10 November 2010 »
Standard main
90 ac
140 2nd stage
200 needle

That overfuels a touch at 20PSI, i'm aiming for 22-24PSI. Should also note that's with the Phase 1 'uprated' fuel pump.

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18:44, Fri 12 November 2010 »
Standard main
90 ac
140 2nd stage
200 needle

That overfuels a touch at 20PSI, i'm aiming for 22-24PSI. Should also note that's with the Phase 1 'uprated' fuel pump.
cool, I recently had the phase 1 pump fitted, Is it possible to buy an anlarged 2nd stage from anywhere or is the only way of enlarging it done by drilling?
When I was on the phone to the RR guy he only said for me to get a new main jet, so will this not make it rich on normal driving but lean when on boost at higher pressures?....i need wideband :idea:

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19:38, Fri 12 November 2010 »
Quote from: "Phase2-tungy-gtt"
Standard main
90 ac
140 2nd stage
200 needle

cool, I recently had the phase 1 pump fitted, Is it possible to buy an anlarged 2nd stage from anywhere or is the only way of enlarging it done by drilling?
When I was on the phone to the RR guy he only said for me to get a new main jet, so will this not make it rich on normal driving but lean when on boost at higher pressures?....i need wideband :idea:

No the 2nd stage jet is fixed so you can only drill it

If the rolling road guy said all you need is a new main jet then i would question using him to set the car up mate, thats totally the wrong thing to do.
That way will make it rich on idle and off boost driving and lean high up the revs

When getting someone to set your car up ask them if they do previous experience working on the 5's carb
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20:21, Fri 12 November 2010 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
No the 2nd stage jet is fixed so you can only drill it

If the rolling road guy said all you need is a new main jet then i would question using him to set the car up mate, thats totally the wrong thing to do.
That way will make it rich on idle and off boost driving and lean high up the revs

When getting someone to set your car up ask them if they do previous experience working on the 5's carb
i thought so, cheers mark. Well I have heard really good things about this person and the work his garage carries out, but to be honest i am really limited to where i can go for tuning up here, The RR in question is 90 miles away and he does race and rally prep work and have been giong for a long time. He was sound to talk to on the phone and seemed welcoming and knowledgable, like I said, he told me to get back in touch with him when i have the new jets so we could talk. I will continue to look for someone who can set it up tho

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21:48, Fri 12 November 2010 »
Not doubting his work at all but it always worries me when tuners say 'all you need is a larger main jet'. Thats not the case at all, i'm still using standard main jet and pushing out 220bhp.

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20:15, Sun 14 November 2010 »
its been a busy weekend! got the engine dropped back in and plumbed in a few wires and hoses on saturday. picked up the cylinder head last night with piper uprated springs and new valve stem seals 8) . So today we finished up connecting everything else in the bay along with driveshafts, new oil and coolant.
dodgy camera phone pics...

we managed to get it fired pretty easily(after a bump :wink: ) and it sounded well decent with the new cam and manifold on, but unfortunatley there was a water leak from inlet manifold so we had no pressure in the system....and lots and lots of steam!! will be back on the road soon - I cant wait!

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21:21, Sun 14 November 2010 »
I would personally do something else with that oil breather filter, not ideal having it there.

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #24 on: 21:38, Sun 14 November 2010 »
I would personally do something else with that oil breather filter, not ideal having it there.

Agree with Mark, if something does go wrong you really don't want oil on the hot turbo and exhaust manifold :lol:  

You really want to run a pipe to the OE oil seperator pot or run a pipe to a catch tank

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21:42, Sun 14 November 2010 »
That dizzy cap looks just what i need!

I have a problem with the spark arcing onto the boost pipe if the leads aren't 'just so'

What car is it off?

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21:45, Sun 14 November 2010 »
your right there, the old breather filter snapped off and the engine was completley covered in oily vapour evertime it was running. I dont have the OE oil sepatator, but catch tank should be an easy option. Does the catch tank only need one inlet pipe attatched to it, or will an oil return pipe be required aswell?
cheers

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #27 on: 21:47, Sun 14 November 2010 »
Quote from: "Phase2-tungy-gtt"
your right there, the old breather filter snapped off and the engine was completley covered in oily vapour evertime it was running. I dont have the OE oil sepatator, but catch tank should be an easy option. Does the catch tank only need one inlet pipe attatched to it, or will an oil return pipe be required aswell?
cheers

You block of the original return to sump and jsut run a pipe from the rocker cover to the catch tank and the other end on the catch tank is the breather unless you get a mocal were it just has 1 pipe and the cap breaths

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22:00, Sun 14 November 2010 »
That dizzy cap looks just what i need!

I have a problem with the spark arcing onto the boost pipe if the leads aren't 'just so'

What car is it off?
I had the same arcing problem, plus the leads were getting severley compressed and were in danger of breaking.  I got the 90 deg dizzy from Mike Phase1 16v. but I did find some similar ones on ebay sometime ago, unsure if they are exact fit tho but they were less than a tenner :D

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21:00, Mon 15 November 2010 »
got the 5 home tonight! I took it for a 40ish mile detour along the back roads to help run in the engine (500 mile countdown begins)  :D  and to have a play with the carb. Apart from a bit of carb freeze and cutting out at junctions/traffic lights the engine and gearbox felt nice and tight, the new B&M shifter feels great- hardly any movement needed to slot it into gear...so overall really happy with the rebuild, the carb just needs a good tweak to get it right