Author Topic: tungy  (Read 24493 times)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
tungy
« on: 18:00, Fri 18 June 2010 »
with the weather being great I got wired into fitting my cossie fmic in yesterday (thanks dave). it was a little easier than I expected,  it fits pretty well behind the bumper except im needing to shave off a bit on the inside of the air vents so it sits a bit more flush. Would a belt sander be ok for that?? :D

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
Re: tungy
« Reply #1 on: 20:45, Fri 18 June 2010 »
Looking good matey cossie cooler fits in very nice

Adam 005

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23:09, Fri 18 June 2010 »
like it.looks good :D

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13:00, Sun 12 September 2010 »
slight update:

the 5's been off the road till I got funds to sort her out. there was a really worrying noise from the gearbox, so thought best to not use it.
so over the summer I've got new carb, new clutch, L&B flywheel, gearbox, gt tuning carb top, green stuff pads, braided brake lines, uprated engine mounts. and waiting on piper 285, vernier pulley and B&M short shifter to arrive. 8)

Car was dismantled on fri and sat before work.  when we got the gearbox out, we noticed a hole the size of a 2p on its side with possible bearings floating about inside!  :shock:

will get pics posted later on with it going back together

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19:37, Sun 12 September 2010 »
Talk to me about this cossie cooler.

Whats it from, and whats its dimensions. I want one !  :D

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22:04, Mon 13 September 2010 »
not quite sure on its exact dimentions, IIRC its only got 20sq cm area more on the face than the standerd cooler. - but i personally think its in a much better place for airflow 8)

Could be from a sierra cosworth? seen them on ebay a few times tho - not expensive either

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23:49, Mon 27 September 2010 »
the little 5 next to my neighbours 2.8l capri   8)

sirrell

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:07, Tue 28 September 2010 »
Looks like a nice fit, i just got a r21 top ic wich looks a similar size. Jut got to work out where i am going to mount it. ur engine bay lok good nice and black, u sprayed it all with wd40 ;)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17:53, Fri 08 October 2010 »
so currently........

and have a few bits left to put on..

Quote from: "sirrell"
your engine bay lok good nice and black, u sprayed it all with wd40 :wink:
Not quite wd40....engine oil!! One of the oil breathers sheared off so oil vapour was pumping out of the tubing! hopefully the bay will look much better with a good clean and some more samco's. 8)
will get new phase1 fuel pump and relay on this wkend so maybe get her runnin.

and was wondering if anyone else with the tubular manifold has noticed any gains?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18:37, Fri 08 October 2010 »
I've worked on a few 5's with the tubular manifold fitted, to be honest didn't notice any real difference to cars with same spec and standard manifold.

Personally i'm not keen on those tubular manifolds and the early versions, prone to cracking, loose the burble sound from the exhaust and on some turbo/downpipe variations it hits it and won't fit on properly.
The standard manifold is suprising not too bad.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19:12, Fri 08 October 2010 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
I've worked on a few 5's with the tubular manifold fitted, to be honest didn't notice any real difference to cars with same spec and standard manifold.

Personally i'm not keen on those tubular manifolds and the early versions, prone to cracking, loose the burble sound from the exhaust and on some turbo/downpipe variations it hits it and won't fit on properly.
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"

cheers mark, im slightly gutted by your knowledge tho... i love the sound of the gtt! I've spoken to a guy who had one fitted and he claimed there was a difference of nearly 8bhp after fitting, but he couldnt be sure as he has the power tested before and after at different RRd's. not to worry, if I miss the burble too much then its goin on the bay.

anyone got any vids of the exhaust note with the manifold fitted?

cheers

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19:22, Fri 08 October 2010 »
Take rolling road results with a pinch of salt mate, as you say your mate had it done at 2 different rollers so its not gospal.

K-Tec for example claim 20bhp with it but i don't see it at all, for a free flowing manifold its not very well designed for me.

Having it won't be no harm, as say do loose the burble abit but one good thing is it does look abit better then the rusty looking original!  :lol:
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13:05, Thu 04 November 2010 »
thought it was time for a wee update.......been pretty busy on the 5 last weekend, I had various parts stockpiled which I was wanting fitted so when the gearbox (only on a month) was making a horrible rattle I decided just to rip the engine out and set about getting everything sorted.
new gearbox was now needed as the old one seemed to POP when letting my mate hear the rattle so got a used one from cgb, Have a piper 285, vernier puley, uprated springs and tubular manifold all going on......  :D

stripping down

engine out

cleaned up the block (engine was coated in oil!)

cam and vernier pulley on

this week a guy is looking to rebuild the head for me with the new springs and valve seals. also getting the valves reseated and ground. I just need to finish heatwrapping the manifold and downpipe. getting there slowly, will post up more pics this weekend when hopefully it will be all back together  8)

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19:10, Thu 04 November 2010 »
Im liking the work fella, cant have to many photos imo  :D . Keep up the good work.

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13:17, Sat 06 November 2010 »
Quote from: "nadgtt1982"
Im liking the work fella, cant have to many photos imo  :D . Keep up the good work.
thanks mate, but after perving on all the fine work other members on here do to their 5's, I was getting really jealous! :mrgreen:
 so when finished will hopefuly get it set up proper and pull a bit more power from it. dunno what it was before, standard set up with t25 @14psi - 140bhp?
anyone got thoughts on what it could produce with the mods at 18-20psi?

cheers