Author Topic: New 5 :D  (Read 2121 times)

sparkysparks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
New 5 :D
« on: 14:51, Fri 18 June 2010 »
Got rid of the GT turbo, couldnt deal with the hassle of it blowing up every 20 miles (the buyer actually blew it up on the way home  :oops: )
So make way for me new toy.
Ive re-inherited my campus of my little brother :D

Oh by the way its just a stop gap till i can afford to insure that other red thing in the foreground  :mrgreen:

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: New 5 :D
« Reply #1 on: 15:37, Fri 18 June 2010 »
Lovin' that 300ZX! Is it a twin turbo? :P

sparkysparks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15:54, Fri 18 June 2010 »
Oh yes it is, the guy i bought it off said its runnin 400hp, he listed the uprated stuff and it sounded right, but i still didnt believe, he gave me the drag slips, its done a 12.5 second quarter! I know they dont do that standard :D

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16:06, Fri 18 June 2010 »
wow - sounds like you could've bought a couple or 3 fast GT turbos for what you must've spent on that then? Are you through with 5s for the time being then? I'm sure this big monster japmobile will be more reliable in any case! 8)

sparkysparks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16:11, Fri 18 June 2010 »
Im certain its had a fair amount spent under the bonnet, uprated turbos alone are around 600 each new i think. But it doesnt look messed with, still had standard hoses and pipes and no dump valves.
Done with 5's for now, when im out of uni and fully employed i intend on building another 5, this time with brand new bits :D
I hope it will be reliable, on the forum theres never posts like, ive blown the big ends, so i think it'll be fun.

Adam 005

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17:01, Fri 18 June 2010 »
you think gt turbo unreliable wait to you start using the 300zx.if it runs 400hp i would be readey for a melt down. 8)

sparkysparks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17:09, Fri 18 June 2010 »
What ive found is that it is alot more reliable, but when id does break, its game over

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12:11, Sat 19 June 2010 »
I can't believe you got one man. Dave said at the quiz on wednesday.

I'll have to pop over for a peek  8)

And what a shame the GT blew up on the way back for the new owner  :( he'll have to get used to that now.

sparkysparks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14:22, Sat 19 June 2010 »
I still cant believe it myself. My dad just took it out, we tested all the electrics, all fine, air con and cruise control are spot on, and it goes like a rocket! threw both our heads back :D
Hes just gonna sell it he said, cant be dealing with it.

Anyway, im gonna have a look at the breaks on the campus today, the handbrake is giving me agro  :x

Adam 005

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15:27, Sat 19 June 2010 »
it is a myth that gt turbo are unreliable :roll: .My gt runs 25psi peak and has only done one liner in 5 years due to the vacum pipe spliting.gt turbo engines dont blow for no reson.it's normaly down to poor fueling or leakey vacum pipe work.this would cause most turbo engines to break

sparkysparks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17:23, Sat 19 June 2010 »
Yeah i agree, but my turbo had been nothing but trouble.

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18:11, Sat 19 June 2010 »
Quote from: "Adam 005"
it is a myth that gt turbo are unreliable :roll: .My gt runs 25psi peak and has only done one liner in 5 years due to the vacum pipe spliting.gt turbo engines dont blow for no reson.it's normaly down to poor fueling or leakey vacum pipe work.this would cause most turbo engines to break

Yeah, mines only had wear and tear bits go in 2 and a half years, split O.E hoses and what-not.
But Mark's 5 was always breaking, different pistons, heads etc.  :(  shame really, after all the work that went into getting it back to life.

sparkysparks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18:16, Sat 19 June 2010 »
Was a bit of a bitch, have learnt so much from it though, ive just seen it on ebay :(