Author Topic: Trackday Project...  (Read 3131 times)

Lilly5

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Trackday Project...
« on: 13:31, Wed 26 May 2010 »
Hello one and all...

This website was recommended to me by a mate for tips and hints as I've just bought a Renault 5 (non-turbo) and am currently stripping it ready for track day events.

I bought it off an old friend for 200 after he had been involved in a crash and didn't have the money to fix it. It's got a few holes and dents but there nothing major and won't take long knock out or fill in.

I'm pretty sorted with what I'm going to be doing about the interior, I've seen the bucket seats, harnesses, steering wheel and flooring I want but I'm wondering about what I could do about the power? It has a 1.4 at the moment which is nice and punchy but I want to be able to get as much power out without spending hundreds on uprated suspension, brake and gearbox. Any ideas out there? I was thinking about a full exhaust system with possibly removing the cat? I was also thinking about throttle bodies but I'm not sure if they could be fitted to a standard 1.4. It already has a peco back box and an air filter but that doesn't really add anything, just makes it sound better.

Any ideas out there or general tips about the car would be greatly appreciated....

car.crash

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Trackday Project...
« Reply #1 on: 14:09, Wed 26 May 2010 »
i wouldnt be taking a non turbo renault 5 to the track.

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17:13, Wed 26 May 2010 »
If your after more power mate to be honest your be better of doing an engine conversion rather than spending money on the standard 1.4, there's pretty much bugger all avaliable for it.

You could spend the money and time modding the campus lump but what you would spend on it you wouldn't get much from it compared to an engine swap
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17:31, Wed 26 May 2010 »
You could pop a turbo engine in or go down the Clio 16V engines route. The Volvo 1.7 engines are another option.

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17:35, Wed 26 May 2010 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
You could pop a turbo engine in or go down the Clio 16V engines route. The Volvo 1.7 engines are another option.

2.0l 8v Laguna.  :wink:

ioshi_s_golf

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21:03, Thu 27 May 2010 »
I think it's better idea to put engine from volvo 440 460 480 turbo ;)

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21:28, Thu 27 May 2010 »
Quote from: "ioshi_s_golf"
I think it's better idea to put engine from volvo 440 460 480 turbo ;)

B18FT, good choice.  

I got one in my red 5 with abit of development done to it.

BriC

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12:02, Fri 28 May 2010 »
As well as an engine conversion as suggested, I'd fit GT Turbo suspension / brakes up front and GTT rear shockers.

You'd need:

Front Hubs
Front suspension (Shockers, springs, etc)
GTT discs and calipers
GTT ARB
GTT rear shockers

Tbh, it would probably be easier to buy a whole subframe / hubs / driveshafts / suspension assembly and just whip out the campus stuff and replace it all in one go.

Lilly5

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18:40, Fri 28 May 2010 »
Thanks everyone for the posts.

I'm surprised by how much room there is under a 5 bonnet, especially with the battery located up top. A friend of mine has a 2.0 16v engine from a Rover 420. Would that fit or would it need a lot of work to squeeze in?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20:27, Fri 28 May 2010 »
Quote from: "Lilly5"

I'm surprised by how much room there is under a 5 bonnet, especially with the battery located up top. A friend of mine has a 2.0 16v engine from a Rover 420. Would that fit or would it need a lot of work to squeeze in?

Anything is possible mate bit as you say if your after a cheap project then a custom engine conversion like that will cost abit, best off fitting something out of another Renault which can use alot of the original bits or are easy to swap over.

davidbuttigieg

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20:55, Fri 28 May 2010 »
Quote from: "Lilly5"

In that case I'd go for an F7R .. 2.0 16v Williams engine. Plug & play  :D