Author Topic: My 89 GT-T  (Read 49048 times)

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: My 89 GT-T
« Reply #30 on: 21:55, Fri 21 May 2010 »
I have oil pressure!  :mrgreen:

sirrell

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 22:23, Fri 21 May 2010 »
good news. and the culprit?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23:49, Sat 22 May 2010 »
Gave it a runaround tonight, everything seems ok. The turbo seems to have suffered from the oil starvation though, cloud of smoke on overrun and warmup.  :roll:  Just in time for it's MOT.  :lol:

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #33 on: 09:50, Sun 23 May 2010 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
I have oil pressure!  :mrgreen:

Well done matey what caused the continued no oil pressure after you replaced the oil pump out of interest?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13:03, Sun 23 May 2010 »
I must of got the wiring muddled up, i unplugged the oil level sender and the guage sprung to life.

Either that or i didn't crank it over long enough to 'prime' the oil pump. No laughing at the back there, i was both rushing and stressed.  :oops:

jayy.cfg

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08:59, Mon 24 May 2010 »
i didnt think you can get them wires the wrong way round, as 1 fits both connectors where the other 1 only fits 1 of them. well it seems that way on my car.

bniasR5GTT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10:43, Mon 24 May 2010 »
you say the car smokes on the overrun and warm-up ? last time my car done this itwas due to the piston rings ?

only a thought but may help ???

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21:50, Mon 24 May 2010 »
Quote from: "jayy.cfg"
i didnt think you can get them wires the wrong way round, as 1 fits both connectors where the other 1 only fits 1 of them. well it seems that way on my car.

I've lopped all my plugs off and re-crimped spades onto the wires because they were all ropey.

Quote from: "bniasR5GTT"
you say the car smokes on the overrun and warm-up ? last time my car done this itwas due to the piston rings ?

only a thought but may help ???

Good point, will do a compression test soon.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13:14, Sun 30 May 2010 »
Collected another turbo off eBay last night.

Need to do a few things under the bonnet, mainly cosmetic but i also need to sort out the choke cable and adjust the valve clearances because it's a bit tappity.

Then i have to pull my finger out and check it over for it's MOT which is soon, AFAIK it needs new pads all round and theres a small hole (20p size) on the drivers sill which needs attention.

Then i think i had better do something to the paintwork, the tree it's park next to seems to drip horrible sappy goo and it's blown over onto the roof and the suns hit the drivers side and made it a bit dull.  :(

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20:12, Mon 31 May 2010 »
Fitted replacement turbo today and all the smoke has gone.  8)

Ordered some bits and bobs from ECP. Brake pads front and back, oil filter, fuel filter and sparkplugs so that will keep me busy for another day.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16:00, Tue 01 June 2010 »
MOT is booked for Sat 12.00. Fun times.

The boost guage packed in today and it started running lumpy, figured the vacumn pipe had popped off again so i just brought a roll of tubing and replaced the lot, the old stuff had got a bit brittle and just kept splitting at the ends.

It's a laugh a day this car is.  :lol:

sparkysparks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 16:08, Tue 01 June 2010 »
So are you keepin it now :D?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 16:12, Tue 01 June 2010 »
I'll get 12 months ticket on it and try my luck at selling it again.

I'll probably ask around 1500 for it, that seems the going rate for a decent 5. At the moment i'm running around in it every day, the Saab is off the road because the handbrake needs fixing and it's those silly inboard shoes.

If it doesn't sell then i guess i had better keep it.  :mrgreen:

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17:25, Thu 03 June 2010 »
Might have to cancel the MOT and rebook.

The parts only arrived today and the welding to the drivers side sill is a bit worse then i had expected. Doesn't help when today i had prepped it ready to weld and got the enthusiasm to start, but the wire ran out after about two inches.  :(

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 16:29, Sun 06 June 2010 »
95% of the welding has been done, i must be one for punishment i very nearly gave up and flogged it for 600 to CGB.

Never went to the MOT station, it wasn't ready in time. Brake pads and a few service items have finally arrrived. Rebooked for next Sat but the MOT expires on the Friday, i think i'm correct in thinking the car can be driven to and from a pre-booked test, i have all my other particulars.

On a good note, the cars been running fine since i changed the oil pump. My only complaint is the oil and water temps seem a bit higher but i guess this is normal considering the rise in the outside temperature. On a run the levels return to normal.