Author Topic: 1987 Gtt Project  (Read 8650 times)

LazaRs

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
1987 Gtt Project
« on: 23:09, Fri 09 April 2010 »
Hi all !!!!!
Finally i am starting to Upload Pictures of my Beggining of the 87' Gtt Project!
Here are Just Few pictures from the beggining, and loads more to come!
Enjoy!

When i bought the car it look like this!

The Head taken Off and fully refurbished and polished, and engine taken out

Engine Bay. To be Repainted and re-welded

Inlet Manifold Before Full Polishing:

After Polishing:

Group A carb to be fitted:

Group A Carb and Inlet Manifold fully Installed:

Alloy Intercooler:

Piper Cam 285:

Uprated Gaskets:

Boost Controler

And the Heart of GTT :) Garrett Tb28 TURBO!

Tb28 vs Std T2

A bit of styling

A lot more to come. Still waiting for:
New Pistons, Liners and Piston Rings
new shafts, and new Clutch!

Ruivar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1987 Gtt Project
« Reply #1 on: 06:42, Sat 10 April 2010 »
Very nice job so far! It sounds like you want your car to go very fast! :) How much power are you getting from a T28?
What happens when you blow on fire?

LazaRs

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12:19, Sat 10 April 2010 »
Well it depends.. i am planning to go from 1 - 1.2 bar of boost.. That should go above 200 bhp..
We'll see :))

ioshi_s_golf

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13:18, Sat 10 April 2010 »
Nice job you've been doing on your car.

LazaRs

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21:28, Fri 23 April 2010 »
More Pics Fully Refurbished Head with PIPER VALVE SPRINGS FITTED,
NEW VALVES
NEW STARTER FULLY REBUILT
NEW ALTERNATOR

KTR Uprated Pistons and Liners Set Including Piston Rings

Low Temp. Thermostat

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09:53, Mon 03 May 2010 »
Nice work, you will prob need a bit more boost to see 200 bhp though ;)

LazaRs

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:27, Thu 06 May 2010 »
Quote from: "5teve L"
Nice work, you will prob need a bit more boost to see 200 bhp though ;)

Hey mate, thanks

Yes deffinately i will run as much as boost as i can get out of that turbo to be a bit reliable :))

How much boost do you think i should be running this T28, for approximately 210 - 230 bhp?
if possible at all?
Btw, planning to install aqua-mist kit as well, methanol 100% injection :) To keep my intake Temps lower...
Thanks!

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09:44, Thu 06 May 2010 »
You shouldn't need the water injection... IMO a waste of cash as well, plus if you set it up with the water you run the risk of det if the pump fails or the water runs out  :)
I was running 24 psi manifold & never saw temps above 35 deg with my set up (approx 220-230 bhp) my intercooler was slightly bigger but yours looks good enough to keep temps lower than 50 deg.
Usually rule of thumb is that to get 200 bhp you need at least 20 psi boost (manifold), unless the engine is high comp or has very good VE in the 1st place.
The carb will prob start to run out of fuel around 20-22 psi if the engine has good VE, then you need to start to look at larger needle jets or another way of keeping the bowl topped up with fuel.
Carb spec I'd prob be looking at would be, 1.2-1.3 main, 1 or .9 a/c, 1.3-1.4 2nd stage & at least a 1.9 needle jet to fuel nicely over a true 200bhp. You need to play with jets & wideband to find the best set up as every car is different.

LazaRs

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14:21, Thu 06 May 2010 »
You shouldn't need the water injection... IMO a waste of cash as well, plus if you set it up with the water you run the risk of det if the pump fails or the water runs out  :)
I was running 24 psi manifold & never saw temps above 35 deg with my set up (approx 220-230 bhp) my intercooler was slightly bigger but yours looks good enough to keep temps lower than 50 deg.
Usually rule of thumb is that to get 200 bhp you need at least 20 psi boost (manifold), unless the engine is high comp or has very good VE in the 1st place.
The carb will prob start to run out of fuel around 20-22 psi if the engine has good VE, then you need to start to look at larger needle jets or another way of keeping the bowl topped up with fuel.
Carb spec I'd prob be looking at would be, 1.2-1.3 main, 1 or .9 a/c, 1.3-1.4 2nd stage & at least a 1.9 needle jet to fuel nicely over a true 200bhp. You need to play with jets & wideband to find the best set up as every car is different.

Thanks for Advices!

I am going to fit the Group A carb, cause it has larger jets already, The T28 turbo is set to 1 bar of boost right now, so i will see the AFR at this boost on Group A, and then slightly increase it.
Could you please send me a link where i can find 1.9 needle jet or bigger?
How much power can i expect with 1.5 bar or 22psi ?
Thanks!

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17:29, Fri 07 May 2010 »
Quote from: "LazaRs"

Thanks for Advices!

I am going to fit the Group A carb, cause it has larger jets already, The T28 turbo is set to 1 bar of boost right now, so i will see the AFR at this boost on Group A, and then slightly increase it.
Could you please send me a link where i can find 1.9 needle jet or bigger?
How much power can i expect with 1.5 bar or 22psi ?
Thanks!

I don't know where you can get larger needle jets, I carefully drilled mine out.
Power should be over 200bhp if it's set up right. I didn't mess with Grp A carbs, I jetted my own.

LazaRs

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20:55, Fri 07 May 2010 »
I don't know where you can get larger needle jets, I carefully drilled mine out.
Power should be over 200bhp if it's set up right. I didn't mess with Grp A carbs, I jetted my own.

Hi mate, thanks, This group A carb.  uses a 150 main jet and a 0.9 air corrector. At the moment.
Do you think this is going to be enough for boosting up turbo to 22+psi? And + i will drill the Jet  to 2mm..
:)

I wanna rich 230bhp and then later on fit Nos 35bhp shot... :)

Thanks!

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21:07, Fri 07 May 2010 »
I've had a carb with a 1.50 main jet fitted, it was really rich! Almost dangerous as it would 'bog down' when pulling out of junctions.

It made some impressive flames out the exhaust though!  :lol:

LazaRs

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21:22, Fri 07 May 2010 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
I've had a carb with a 1.50 main jet fitted, it was really rich! Almost dangerous as it would 'bog down' when pulling out of junctions.

It made some impressive flames out the exhaust though!  :lol:

I will keep revs in neutral on at least 1100 or 1200Rpm ,Dont know if i will sort anything with it though...  

or if not what size should my main jet be?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17:10, Wed 12 May 2010 »
With a 1.5 main jet and 0.9 air corrector only you wiull run very rich off boost and prob run it lean at high rev's on boost, not the way to have the carb set up.

You want a standard size venturi, prob get away with the standard 1.2mm main jet, slightly smaller air corrector and then drill out the second stage jet so it increase's fuel on boost. If you want to run more than 20psi then i would recommend a larger needle valve too, something around 2.0mm will do, i found a place that sells them so can get hold of them.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

LazaRs

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16:14, Thu 13 May 2010 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
With a 1.5 main jet and 0.9 air corrector only you wiull run very rich off boost and prob run it lean at high rev's on boost, not the way to have the carb set up.

You want a standard size venturi, prob get away with the standard 1.2mm main jet, slightly smaller air corrector and then drill out the second stage jet so it increase's fuel on boost. If you want to run more than 20psi then i would recommend a larger needle valve too, something around 2.0mm will do, i found a place that sells them so can get hold of them.

Thanks Markey, i will get rid of the Group A carb, i will get my stock carb... Could you please send me where can i order needle valve 2.0mm?? And could you please send me the picture or a link where i can see all the jets so second stage one, main one needle valve? And could you please tell me if 0.9 Air Corrector will be good enough?

Thanks mate!