Author Topic: My Red R5 GTT project - work in progress  (Read 1524 times)

Typhon

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
My Red R5 GTT project - work in progress
« on: 12:34, Sat 20 March 2010 »
Started this nearly a year ago, unfortunately work has been slow.

Got the car from a family friend who had planned to restore it, but after it just sitting on his drive for 5years he decided to let it go.

The plan is to fully respray it as well as doing all the welding myself, will take a while but should be worth it.

Below are a couple of pics of the car as i received it. It doesn't look too bad, however it would never pass an MOT without a substantial amount of work/money so may as well completely strip it down. The engine runs ok, but after sitting for 5 years has obviously sufferred a bit.

Before I started:

After a quick clean:

I'll try to keep updating this thread as i go along, unfortunately as a student i don't have a huge amount of money to play with at the moment so it could take a while!

Typhon

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: My Red R5 GTT project - work in progress
« Reply #1 on: 12:38, Sat 20 March 2010 »
Allready stipped the interior out and removed the bumpers/bodykit. Found quite a bit of rust on the drivers sill, but from what i've read that's pretty normal on these cars.

The outer sill needs replacing, but the inner sill looks ok (thankfully!):

Bit of rust at the back of the wheel arch too:

Passenger side not as bad for rust:

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #2 on: 18:03, Sat 20 March 2010 »
Looking good matey, unfortunatly with the 5 they all eventually go in these areas but easy repair if your handy with a welder a full outer sill coat about 25 per side from beavers autos

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23:55, Sat 20 March 2010 »
The passenger rear bumper mounting looks, in comparision to what mine looked like, in very good condition.

The sills do tend to turn to dust, mine was around the same area, must be trapped water.