Author Topic: My Renault 5 GT  (Read 15203 times)

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
Re: My Renault 5 GT
« Reply #45 on: 15:49, Sat 29 January 2011 »
Glen, you defo got the locating dowel in the correct place on the gearbox???

Needs to be in the red cirlce on this pic

superted

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 17:00, Sat 29 January 2011 »
Quote from: "James5"
Glen, you defo got the locating dowel in the correct place on the gearbox???

Needs to be in the red cirlce on this pic

yep its there i will admit i forgot to put it there the first time but have tried both starters with the dowl and still makes grinding noise.
set back i didnt need, like steve said the r19 and clio both have a skimmed faced style flywheel and could be sold as a L/B flywheel  to fit a 5 which is what i think has been sold to me off this forum.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 18:33, Sat 29 January 2011 »
I should have a clio starter you can see if it fits/works if you like.
Not sure if the clio renix patern is the same as the GTT, but pretty sure the flywheel has different amount of teeth..

superted

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10:30, Sun 30 January 2011 »
Quote from: "5teve L"
I should have a clio starter you can see if it fits/works if you like.
Not sure if the clio renix patern is the same as the GTT, but pretty sure the flywheel has different amount of teeth..

yer can try it, but if that dosn't work engine back out and i will get the car painted spoke to matey yesterday, then i can do the sub frame and that already had to take bumper and wings off so i can get the two patches done.

superted

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18:25, Mon 21 February 2011 »
I dont know where to start but the last two weeks have been shit, almost had a fatal crash the other friday car spun out in front of me on the A23 faygat and jumped onto the other side of the main road and had a head on with a van had to cut bloke out of the car, it was 6am in the morning no one about  helped the driver that was trapped and kept him calm, battrey was arking, diesel everywhere really bad didn't work for a couple of days, then the following monday a for sale sign went up on my house i rent, so now i got to find a new house to rent what a shitter and more money as a deposit because my deposit on the house im in at the moment takes 14 days to be reliesed from the deposit scheme so i got to find another 3000 to move in 5 weeks, so the sale of the 5 didnt go anywhere and after having a nice chat with my dad he sorted me some cash to get me back on track, so everything ok and i have brought a new turbo which arriuved today, car gone to have the wiring and welding done then its book ed in for M.O.T 2nd of march so hopefully nothing bad can go wrong just get better  :D

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 19:41, Mon 21 February 2011 »
Feckin hell Glen what a bad few weeks you have had matey, glad you sorted a turbo out, and mot is the same day as next RTOC surrey meet so could be an excuse to take a relaxed drive up :D

superted

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 17:34, Sun 08 May 2011 »
Well finally i can see the light  :D  took the 5 out today and all went well drove to steve's to drop the starter off. Cheers for doing the rebuild on the carb this week, and all the help through it soucing engine and dropping it in. Thank you to james for tec advice as well.

Things to do..

Flush coolant and refill
Set the Crab Up right
new air filter
Oil Catch Tank
2 x 90 bends
one tyre
no drivers side indicators on the front or wing.
check tappets

M.O.T this week

Then enjoy it for the summer then winter rebuild and paint.

superted

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 21:02, Tue 10 May 2011 »
D Day Tomorrow M.O.T. worked on the 5 for 12 hours since 9 am today my list turned into 2 days worth of work and got it done with thanks to rob up my yard letting me take over his ramp for the day. had to change rear bushes. new floor pans, stiched welded the whole inside of car, then seam sealed,then painted,  then tank out all new fuel lines and copper ones made up, new handbrake cable, undersealed the five, all new bulbs and cleaned all conectors and all is good car running a bit rough on tick over reves up and down but ok for m.o.t tomorrow boosting very well.

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 21:29, Tue 10 May 2011 »
Glenn good luck for MOT matey, if carb is up and down could just be a bit of dirt in your carb Steve said it was full of shite in it could be just some dirt still in it.

Remove the brass screw on side of carb and clean jet up this may help

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 21:44, Tue 10 May 2011 »
Yeah it was full of shite, either clean idle jet out or maybe even take it off & blast it out with carb cleaner again..

superted

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 22:18, Tue 10 May 2011 »
Glenn good luck for MOT matey, if carb is up and down could just be a bit of dirt in your carb Steve said it was full of shite in it could be just some dirt still in it.

Remove the brass screw on side of carb and clean jet up this may help

i wil try it i did blast it out today, but didnt take the big brass one out, m at 9.30

superted

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 11:16, Wed 11 May 2011 »
The 5 passed its M.O.T went straight through, so she's back on the road, cleaned carb again ticks over fine, just got to source a funny clanging sound now again as if something is hitting the blades on the alternator thats the only way i can describe it  :lol:

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 11:31, Wed 11 May 2011 »
Quote from: "superted"
The 5 passed its M.O.T went straight through, so she's back on the road, cleaned carb again ticks over fine, just got to source a funny clanging sound now again as if something is hitting the blades on the alternator thats the only way i can describe it  :lol:

Good news Glenn,

If the alternator is clanging normally the lower long bolts for the alternator has come loose as the 13mm nut sometimes comes loose and alternator hitting sides. If you need a spare long bolt I have one in my toolbox at home just in case yours has come loose and fallen out

superted

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 20:24, Sun 15 May 2011 »
Quote from: "superted"

Good news Glenn,

If the alternator is clanging normally the lower long bolts for the alternator has come loose as the 13mm nut sometimes comes loose and alternator hitting sides. If you need a spare long bolt I have one in my toolbox at home just in case yours has come loose and fallen out

Loving being back in the 5 done 200 miles this weekend, no brake downs. Love the looks you get, went to car boot today and a series 1 rs went past in cowfold and gave a me a flash pulled over in the bike cafe down there and had a chat, soon as the sun comes out you see all the old classics dont matter what make... :)