Author Topic: front wheel wobble  (Read 1824 times)

jimbob62football

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
front wheel wobble
« on: 19:50, Mon 01 February 2010 »
Hi all, have recently replaced both my front wheel bearings along with balljoints, track rod ends and antiroll bar bushes. All this was brought about by a noisey passenger side bearing, now that all the work is finished and the car is back on the road it has developed a wobble which appears to be coming from the passenger side, been and had tracking set tonight but still got the wobble, any ideas please JIM.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: front wheel wobble
« Reply #1 on: 21:18, Mon 01 February 2010 »
Wheels need balancing?

jimbob62football

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14:23, Mon 08 February 2010 »
Had wheels balanced still got wobble, have now changed passenger side drive shaft due to play in it, which gear oil would you recommend as haynes manual says sae75w/90 and halfords say sae75w/80?

Thanks Jim.

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 14:42, Mon 08 February 2010 »
Well IMO i wouldnt ever listen to anything Halfords have to say , !  :wink:

megaflea

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.megaflea.net
« Reply #4 on: 23:37, Sun 08 May 2011 »
Hi Sorry to resurrect and old thread,

I am suffering with wheel wobble, typical 70+ mph wheel wobble which indicates wheels arent balanced, theres no weights on them and the tyres have been replaced recently with cheapo tyres, i have a receipt for a "remould" which slightly concerns me haha

so i went to my local tyre place to get the wheels balanced, he stuck weights on the inside which is normal procedure for alloys (as opposed to banging weights on the outside ruining the appearance) as i drove out the tyre place the calipers scrapped the weights off the inside of the wheel (doh) apparently the lack of clearance between breaks and rims wont allow sticky weights to be used, so plan B the tyre fitted tried to bang some weights on the outside the wheel,
however the standard speedline wheel have a large flat lip which meant the bang on weights also wouldn't fit, so plan C the tyre fitted stuck weights on the lip around the outside of the wheel which has improved the wobble, however it doesn't look to great,

so how have the wheels on your R5 been balanced you guys still running standard wheels

:D
root@renault5gtt~]# echo "if you cant fix it" ; init 6 ; echo "it"

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 00:16, Mon 09 May 2011 »
When i had my wheels balenced they stuck the weights along the rim, inside the spoke if that makes sense? The section where the tyre valve sticks out, along that flat edge.

And no, the weights don't clear the calipers.  :lol:  I would of thought they would see that coming.

Bigfoot

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14:42, Wed 11 May 2011 »
yeah, both my 5s, one has 15" with big brake conversion and the other standard, need the weights put in different places to balance the wheels.

Where abouts in Essex are you?

megaflea

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15:06, Sun 15 May 2011 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
When i had my wheels balenced they stuck the weights along the rim, inside the spoke if that makes sense? The section where the tyre valve sticks out, along that flat edge.

And no, the weights don't clear the calipers.  :lol:  I would of thought they would see that coming.

yes after the weights were scraped off by the calipers this is what was done, ugly but it kinda works,

and you'll mostly see me about southend in essex

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17:25, Sun 15 May 2011 »
look through my project thread and check your inner cv diff part,
if its grooved where the rollers run then that'll be causing your wobble

mine had a hole in it but still worn lumpy diff bit will cause the same issue either way

megaflea

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17:41, Sat 28 May 2011 »
Quote from: "fordy"
look through my project thread and check your inner cv diff part,
if its grooved where the rollers run then that'll be causing your wobble

mine had a hole in it but still worn lumpy diff bit will cause the same issue either way

Ive had 4 new tyres and al wheels balanced so when i get on the motor way i'll see if thats sorted it, else i will check out your project thread and check the inner cv diff bit

cheers =]