Author Topic: Another new R5 GTT  (Read 8051 times)

bniasR5GTT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Another new R5 GTT
« on: 12:30, Mon 18 January 2010 »
Just thought id say hi as im new to this site even though im on my 3rd R5 GTT,

Recently bought a Metalic Silver 1988 GTT (3 weeks ago) after 4 months of searching for one that didnt need a new clutch, new engine and other mechanical problems. I found one in Somerset, went and see her and was pleasently suprised with wat i was looking at. Done a bit of haggling as the paintwork down one side wasnt in the best condition due to laquer peeling off i secured my 3rd R5 GTT, now in the process of sorting out where to get it sprayed so if anybody knows of a good sprayer on the southcoast or within an hours drive of Winchester please let me know.

My R5 has been modified extensively:

Has evo bonnet scoop,
Smoothed Boot

Has been lowered 50mm alround on evo coil overs (front) and shocks (rear)
Sat on 15" tsw chromed alloys

Engine has been stage 2 tuned pushing 160-180 bhp (By K-Tec Racing)
Head has had KTR power system gas flowing level 3
KTR powersystem camshft
KTR powersystem adjustable pulley
Group A Carb
KTR powersystem side exit exhaust system with tubular manifold
KTR powersystem high capacity alloy intercooler
T25 Turbo
Plus much more .....

Interior has been left standard apart from white dials

Probably much more done but forgotten about it.

Anyway did just pop in to say hi now im booring myself so im off but would love to talk to more R5 Nutters like myself so drop me an email

Thanks

billyboi

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Another new R5 GTT
« Reply #1 on: 16:26, Mon 18 January 2010 »
sounds nice, get some pics up :)

bniasR5GTT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18:00, Mon 18 January 2010 »
Here are some pics of my new R5 GTT

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21:16, Mon 18 January 2010 »
Very nice.

You don't see many of the silver ones, i think they look nice.

loopylee

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21:49, Mon 18 January 2010 »
very clean looking motor mate

lee

Spooky

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19:42, Wed 20 January 2010 »
Ive worked on that car, a friend of mine owned it down here.

I lowered it and fit the gearbox and new clutch  :)

philsr5gtt

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21:16, Wed 20 January 2010 »
not bad looking car you got yourself there

bniasR5GTT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14:45, Thu 21 January 2010 »
thanks to all comments above, spooky would like to show you the engine now has changed a fair bit !

bniasR5GTT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Another new R5 GTT update .....
« Reply #8 on: 18:07, Sun 14 February 2010 »
just thought id update you all on proceedings to the car.....

recently had a lovely experience of a drive shaft bearing eplode in the box whilst driving, so had to change it (thanks to bob's mechanics from cgb as never had the pleasure of doing one of these before)

Now just started to strip the rear seats out and do a custom carpeted rear. Pics to follow...

Purchased a K-tec strut brace both front and rear.

Searching for a friendly wheel re-furb company as my wheels are really showing there age now ! And dont want to pay through the nose for it either !!!

Have been to k-tec and let them play about with the engine set up as it wasn't running to its full, tear your head from your neck, potential..... now A-LOT better... even had the pleasure of my mate who runs a Mk2 Uno turbo (he hates R5's) say how quick it was and didnt want to have a little drag race (so must be scared) he he

Been playing around with the front suspension set-up to see what happened to the ride/handling when lowering the nose and came to a compromise.... didnt make that much difference either way... think i need a track day to sort see a noticable difference.

Anyway the life of my R5 GTT has been eventful in the past 3 weeks and plenty more mods to come.... still ummin and arrrreeein over what colour to get it sprayed only 4 more weeks then decision time and she will look spanking for the shows this summer.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18:25, Sun 14 February 2010 »
Same happened to my driveshaft last year, i was going to post a pic to prove but i've gone and lost it.  :roll:

I think you should leave it silver.  8)  Bob used to have a silver one, i'm guessing you didn't see it there i'm sure he's broke it now. Did you see his red Turbo 2? Lovely car that is.

bniasR5GTT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18:33, Sun 14 February 2010 »
Ive never had the pleasure of meeting bob face to face only conversations on the phone to him and his mechanics as im on the south coast and he's about 200 odd miles awy but no doubt ill be able to put a face to the name somewhen !! lol

GTTboost

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17:54, Mon 15 February 2010 »
From the pics it looks like the paint is in lovely condition already :)  looks very nice to me...  nice one  8)   Good to hear that K-Tec have given it a nice tune up...  hats off to them still looking after these cars.

I would keep it silver if it was mine..  silver is a great colour on the 5GTT.  The only thing I'm not keen on is the 'bad boy' bonnet..  but thats purely down to personal taste nothing more.  

It looks great parked in your drive  8)   keep us posted with the boot re-carpeting.

Flash666

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18:26, Mon 15 February 2010 »
2pac are a good body-shop in Portsmouth. i used them to paint a bumper. pretty quick a v.good quality if your still interested in painting the car. they've done some pretty nice custom work as well

bniasR5GTT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19:23, Mon 15 February 2010 »
Quote from: "GTTboost"
From the pics it looks like the paint is in lovely condition already :) looks very nice to me... nice one 8) Good to hear that K-Tec have given it a nice tune up... hats off to them still looking after these cars.

I would keep it silver if it was mine.. silver is a great colour on the 5GTT. The only thing I'm not keen on is the 'bad boy' bonnet.. but thats purely down to personal taste nothing more.

It looks great parked in your drive 8) keep us posted with the boot re-carpeting.

I am warming to the i dea of keeping it silver, admittedly it does look nice from the pics but in the sunshine the passengers side's laquer has started to pickle up its the bottom half of the door and bottom half of the rear wing that has started to go funny ! (looks cloudy)

GTTboost

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19:51, Mon 15 February 2010 »
Quote from: "bniasR5GTT"
Quote from: "GTTboost"
From the pics it looks like the paint is in lovely condition already :) looks very nice to me... nice one 8) Good to hear that K-Tec have given it a nice tune up... hats off to them still looking after these cars.

I would keep it silver if it was mine.. silver is a great colour on the 5GTT. The only thing I'm not keen on is the 'bad boy' bonnet.. but thats purely down to personal taste nothing more.

It looks great parked in your drive 8) keep us posted with the boot re-carpeting.

I am warming to the i dea of keeping it silver, admittedly it does look nice from the pics but in the sunshine the passengers side's laquer has started to pickle up its the bottom half of the door and bottom half of the rear wing that has started to go funny ! (looks cloudy)

I was surprised it needed a full respray as it looked too good :)   but will look stunning in a fresh coat  8)   theres not really a good or bad (original) colour,  the best colour is the one you like the most :)  but my own choice would be to keep it silver and the engine bay will still be kept the same colour etc (unless you was stripping back to nothing before the respray) but that will save you a few as it wont need to be stripped down to the shell if you keep it this colour.

Hope you dont mind me showing you a pic with a standard bonnet...but I thought you might like to see how it might look without the bad boy.. before you get it painted... it just makes it look super clean..  8)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m16/ ... bonnet.jpg

Keep us posted :)