Author Topic: My 5... gradually going back together :-)  (Read 10043 times)

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: My 5... gradually going back together :-)
« Reply #15 on: 16:08, Mon 07 February 2011 »
Quote from: "linni"
the pistons should be pre lubricated from factory mate bit of copper ease on caliper bolts and pad carriers never goes a miss though.tighten up quick bleed and jobs a good en ! :D
Yeah, I should probably buy a pot of the old copper grease.. the original bolts were wound up with threadlock from the factory though?! :?:

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20:00, Mon 07 February 2011 »
I know the front calipers have sliding pins which should be lubricated.

Not sure about the rears, i think there fixed?

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18:27, Tue 08 February 2011 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
I know the front calipers have sliding pins which should be lubricated.

Not sure about the rears, i think there fixed?
yeah they are fixed. I made sure the fronts were well lubed when I was changing the pads. Still have no clue what that assembly grease is for though as they turned up already assembled? :? Don't know if it's what they use in the factory and they threw some in with the calipers by mistake?

Gav

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09:03, Wed 23 March 2011 »
keep it up looks nice

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23:26, Fri 27 May 2011 »
well ,I got myself an engine hoist albeit without an extending boom but have managed to get the engine back in a while ago now. The trouble starts here I reckon! As I took the engines out of both cars over 18months ago now I was scratching my head to remember where everything went back, although it's 95% done now.
Does anyone know if the thick cable that comes directly from the battery +lead goes onto the starter solenoid? There's already a cable attached there. So far got no electrics or clicking relays or anything on turning the key but I'm getting some bits off a breaking 5 tomorrow so should give me some clues!

I'll get some pics up over the weekend. :)

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22:20, Sat 28 May 2011 »
Set myself back now due to stupidity! Found out today that when I took the engine out not only did I break the end of the speedo cable but I also broke the white plastic bit the inner cable locates into in the gearbox!
So I've fitted the gearbox and refitted the engine and box and now it looks like it's all gonna be coming back out again as the white bit in question looks like it's only accessible with a stripdown! :P  :oops: I had the old blown up 'box on the bench earlier but the input shaft and mainshaft drivegear looks like it's a puller job to get them off and then loads of disassembling to get at the white bit and I can't be arsed with all that. Don't know if anyone has any experience of stripping gearboxes on these cars?
I can't get any pics up either as I've forgotten my photobucket password and they reckon they've sent the reset email but it never turns up!

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21:20, Sat 09 July 2011 »
For anyone thinking of putting a JB5 gearbox on an F2N that usually takes a JB3 - don't bother they don't fit!
The initial differences I spotted were the threaded stud and hollow dowels were located differently on the JB5 so quickly changed them around to match the JB3, put the rubber and clutch release fork and bearing in and tried to fit it but had about an inch gap between box and block and it wouldn't go any further. I don't know how I never spotted it before but the bellhousing is shallower by about 12mm, and looking at the C1J earlier the clutch cover and clutch itself are smaller and probably don't stick out of the end of the engine as much.

So now I have to find another JB3 box, that'll be 4 gearboxes knocking about in the garage.
I was hoping to get the car off the axle stands and back on the floor by august as well lol :x  :roll:

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16:14, Thu 04 October 2012 »
Got him running the other day! :D Turned out my fuel pump wasn't drawing any fuel, so quickly changed that over as I had a spare, then I had no spark so changed the coil over for another one I had, turned out to just be the immobiliser on the alarm, so after some frantic button pushing and  knackered eardrums later i turned that off (not used to for nearly 12yrs! Now I need to drain the oil as it's leaking from the sump gasket (I'd used liquid gasket, that stuff that sets), as soon as the engine started warming up it started dripping, so will buy a proper sump gasket and fit that.
Something's burning off on my engine as well, there was smoke coming from the back of the block as got hot, no idea what it was and didn't really smell of much either?

Just need to sort the leaks and get him running nicely, brake fluid in + bleed, get the kit finished and on etc. The window tints are now illegal on the front windows which is a downer and have been advised all doors need to be openable from the outside which is an even bigger downer :?  :(

Can't get any pics up as i don't have a USB lead for my phone, will try and source one and get some up.