Author Topic: F7-5 1.8 16v Campus, attempt lol  (Read 9413 times)

H150GTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: F7-5 1.8 16v Campus, attempt lol
« Reply #15 on: 00:00, Fri 30 October 2009 »
I wish i could see some of the surprises you create with this..  I think you should fit an on board camera!!..  You should probably fit it in the back window to see the look on their faces lol... :lol:

billyboi

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02:50, Fri 30 October 2009 »
haha this things going to be mean! i cant wait to see it on the road, i agree with H150GTT should fit a camera in it and see everyones faces :D do you know what sort of bhp it is?

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19:46, Fri 30 October 2009 »
Agree with you both :lol: I have bullet cams and onboard hdd but it's fitted to my Clio as that see's the track but I may make a short video if I get bored. The engine at the moment is a stock 1.8 16v engine from the Clio which when built on paper produced 137bhp / 109lb/ft iirc. Obviously it's an old engine now and has covered 120K so I would guess valve seats & piston rings are worn to a degree lowering the original output by a few horses. Saying that, the power steering has been removed so a possible 5bhp increase from this. I have a few spare 16v cylinder heads & blocks in the garage though if I feel a rebuild will be worth it. Wouldn't mind running a Williams head on the 1.8 short stroke block though as it would probably make for a real screamer delivering power well into 7,000rpm with those 32mm inlet valves. Then again, it is suppose to be a commuter as the Clio is no longer a daily driver really due to being tweaked slightly :oops:
Naturally Aspirated at heart!

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16:47, Sat 07 November 2009 »

Most of the dash is in after messing about with it for a few days although the window handles hit the side of the dash so you have to open the door to open / close the window  :lol: .. the heater blower motor operates, the wipers now have 3 speeds and the stock exhaust is fitted to the center section. Starts and sounds just like a stock 1.4 engine until you give it full throttle. Took it for a drive and god damn it definitly needs attention regarding the suspension outfit, it was all over the road on hammer down. Was abit tacky on the road and I couldnt quite make out how nippy it was as it kept spinning the tyres in 2nd gear and on a quick change the speedo jumped from 60 to 70mph into 3rd gear so a combination of bacon strip tyres, tacky road conditions and serious weight transfer given the soft suspension. Still a fair bit of work to do but the car is naughty and has been worth the stress :D

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20:19, Sat 07 November 2009 »
I love this project  8)  Fit some GTT suspension and it should sort you out a bit.
How were the corners in the Campus seats? I remember mine feeling like i was going to slide off them  :lol:

small_all@hotmail.com

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21:34, Sat 07 November 2009 »
what a hero  :lol:  and plllzzzz do make a video of u smoking up the local Bristol rude booooi's
My cars only as fast as the people pushing it

chillin... chillin....... chillin.........boooOOOOOOST

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19:54, Tue 10 November 2009 »
Quote from: "scratcher"
I love this project  8)  Fit some GTT suspension and it should sort you out a bit.
How were the corners in the Campus seats? I remember mine feeling like i was going to slide off them  :lol:

I am just curious to see the effects of fitting wide track to it currently :lol: ... The seats arn't the best i'll agree with you plus the seating position is way too high! The whole front end lifts when you boot it aswell :wink:

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19:54, Tue 10 November 2009 »
Quote from: "small_all@hotmail.com"
what a hero  :lol:  and plllzzzz do make a video of you smoking up the local Bristol rude booooi's

I will sort something out :D

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18:49, Tue 17 November 2009 »
Just a little update to keep those interested in the project informed on the 5. After replacing both the idle control valve as a result of it sticking and the throttle position sensor due to the wires perishing and making permenant contact, the car is going very well indeed. it stamped on a silly chap in a Civic Type S with a huge bean can hanging off the back both rolling and off a set of traffic lights along side a 206 gti aswell. There was a Saxo VTR but this was just not worth mentioning really.
Fitted the Clio front brakes and what a delight it is now, even for a reasonably stock braking application on the 5 with just a set of brembo max brake disc's it really doesn't seem to suffer from any brake fade. Although, I will state that with it still running the stock suspension outfit, it doesn't fully inspire you to push it for fear of savage levels of understeer.
Removed the Clio torsion bar today, complete with the braking system. I did a rough comparison in regards to the width to that currently on the 5 and it will definitely be a tight fit. Taking the Clio braking system into consideration, I have decided against using the bias valve / load valve for compensation dependant on weight on the rear end. In effect, as most will know, it stops excessive levels of braking effort reaching the rear brakes and causing grip loss. To overcome this issue, I will be running an inline limiting valve most probably from the 205 GTi as I do recall those cars running this arrangement.
I am also on the lookout for another set of front seats to modify in order to fit the Clio seats as I can see these being an issue if the handling becomes anywhere near as potent as the Clio's are.
Cooling is still an issue, although the bumper fan does remove heat from the rad, it's not efficient enough. Due to lack of room, I have come up with the idea of running 3 or maybe 4 120mm PC server fans. This may sound like a bodge, your thoughts on this would be great. Let me just say that these fans are not some PC World special, these are direct server use only fans moving 190CFM's each in free air. It will allow me to mount the behind the rad and should be more than adequate for dissipating the excess heat.
The exhaust may need some attention, although it retains the stock appearance of the car it also reduces power beyond 6,000rpm which I thought would probably be the case. I may look into a stainless but bend the exhaust tailpipe to help retain the sleeper look. I am slowly becoming a 5 nut though :D

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #24 on: 09:00, Thu 19 November 2009 »
Fantastic read matey, keep up the good work.   :D