Author Topic: Back in the fold!  (Read 3576 times)

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Back in the fold!
« on: 21:48, Wed 29 July 2009 »
well I lasted from January until now but I had to have another GT turbo!

Managed to get this one that was gona be a show car so has had all the rust removed and fully resprayed. Engine was apparently rebuilt and don't know whether this is true or not as the water pump is grumbling and some times there is a funny noise from the turbo but no smoke and it runs like a dream.

Just needs a few bits doing to it, I have 5 point harnesses on order and should be getting some new front windows (with manual mech to save weight!) MOT is booked for a week on Saturday (8th August)

Bled the brakes when I got it but it turns out the brake servo is knackered, so that needs replacing, not a job I wanted to do, I hate taking the inlet manifold off!!

Engine didn't run when I got it either, timing was way out and I replaced dizzy cap, rotor arm and plugs.

Now for some pictures as she stands at the moment...

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 23:16, Wed 29 July 2009 »
Nice and clean :D

cavsri130

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 06:37, Thu 30 July 2009 »
i like it. seen it for sale the other week, was keen to see pics o the rest o the car
IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT!

jimmy_b

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 15:13, Thu 30 July 2009 »
lol. thats from near me. my mate jez at carerra bodyworks painted it. is it running yet as last time i saw it it was dead

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 20:30, Thu 30 July 2009 »
yeah, it's running. Timing was well out and it needed plugs, dizzy cap and rotor arm.

jimmy_b

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 23:16, Thu 30 July 2009 »
lol. you'd of thought he'd check the simple things first. what did you get it for as i missed the end on ebay

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 23:42, Fri 31 July 2009 »
well it went for 620 about a week before I bought it then was re-listed and I got it for 850 but to be honest I still think it's cheap for a shell with no rust and I'm told the engine has been rebuilt so I can't go wrong really... I hope!

Just put my replacement brake servo in as the old one was fecked. Inlet manifold is back on and engine stills runs sweet so no air leaks :-)

I have fitted the front windows and put in some door cards to make it feel a little less sparse. Only problem is, I fitted manual windows to loose the weight of the electric motors and the winding handles hit the rollcage but it's not too big of a deal.

As usual the dash board lights (oil pressure warning and handbrake) have decided to stop working.

Also have to figure out why the oil level indicator isn't working when the ignition is first switched on?!?! Only get oil pressure at any ignition position!?

Also put the wipers on, so just need a sun roof fitting, brakes bleeding again and relocate the battery to the driver's side.

Will post some pictures tomorrow when I can get some good ones in the daylight.

jimmy_b

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 11:33, Sat 01 August 2009 »
plans sound good penfold. be nice to see this one back onthe road. any plans to update the wheels from the speedlines?

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 12:10, Sat 01 August 2009 »
been looking at some but if I change the wheels I will have to lower it or it'll look silly and if I lower it it will be unfriendly with speed humps which I have loads of near me so I probably will keep the standard wheels.

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 22:24, Sat 01 August 2009 »
haven't had time to get any more pics up but I have managed to replace the water pump which was fubar! Still haven't found a sunroof and I'm having big issues with bleeding the brakes :-( just can't seem to get all the air out, even with "gunson ezibleed"... stil lwaiting for v5 from seller too  :x

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 23:23, Sat 01 August 2009 »
turns out rear calipers are on the wrong sides so bleed nipple is at the bottom!! Can't imagine how I managed to get a good pedal when I bled the brakes before I changed the brake servo but I'm pretty sure if I swap them round I should be able to get all the air out.

jimmy_b

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 23:43, Sun 02 August 2009 »
fair point about the wheels penfold. personnaly not sure they suits its motorsport look tho. nice 15" prorace 1's would suit it lol.

calipers wont help thats for sure. dont you have to do something with the rear compensator valve to get all the air out? hold it fully closed? or is it fully open? lol

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 16:39, Mon 03 August 2009 »
I swapped the calipers over and bled the brakes using a gunson ezibleed, job's a good un! Brakes all work fine now. I bled them without touching the compensator and the car on the ground. Pedal feels good, it move's about an inch and then stops; is this right?

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 20:48, Tue 04 August 2009 »
just a few more recent pics, just waiting for harnesses and the sunroof now :D

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 19:49, Wed 05 August 2009 »
harnesses are now in :-)