Author Topic: R5GTT Project From Greece.  (Read 3578 times)

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
R5GTT Project From Greece.
« on: 16:24, Tue 30 June 2009 »
Hey everyone gratz from the great site+forum. (sorry again for my probably poor english) It was the first thing i found while googling about R5 GTs. Great and a lot of info.
  Right, to cut to the chase now. I got 2 R5GTTs one with papers(Phase 2) the other for spares(Phase 1) (although its in ok condition). After a failed try on changing the small metal parts on the base of the "Piston Rods" on the phase 2 car , we found out that the engine had one faulty piston rod and some more excess damage. For the time being we decided putting the phases 1 engine on the "good" R5.While getting all the good stuff from the phase 2 moteur.
  We were told by a trusted friend that the engine from the phase 1 i got, it's in great condition, cleaned with upgrated cam (stage 1) and MAYBE (that's a huge "maybe") changed better aftermarket pistons.He wasn't sure about the pistons cause of the long time ago it was fixed. To make long story short, i transferred both cars on a dear friends open space that he has in front of his house. The whole engine swapping from the one car to the other, took us 2 days (5-7 hours per day). I was totally afraid that after all this mess the second engine would prove broken or something. Well that would be the time when i would turn BOTH cars in a huge bonfire and dance in circles like a native indian.     :lol:

So let's put some pics on.

After the failed fixing of the 1st engine.

Inside

1st failed moteur

Inside

On the friends open space, engine off...

Broken engine

Engine bay cleaned firmly.

Painted engine bay in yamaha red :D

Phase 1 engine:

Firmly Cleaned and just leveled on engine bay

After all were in place, new oils-filters etc, came the moment of getting it started.. I was afraid the worse to happen, but by miracle... after 3 secs it started.... Running smoothly like a kitty cats belly noise :P no cliiickss no claaksss no weird sounds, fumes or anything.

On 3rd gear it stalls a lot.. i think it's the fuel pump. carburator is fairly clean but maybe it needs some tweaking too.. After i drove it home (slowly with no weird driving...) i saw that  the stalling persisted on 3rd gear and above so it must be something on the fuel system. Also i saw this (like oil came out on the dump valve (i don't know if it is something old but i just saw it):

Car  has cup mod on the turbo hoses(i did it after , as i saw it in here, ignore the pictures while we placed the moteur in.).  Also it has aftermarket (handmade) water cooler with the original oil cooler outside (previous owner broke old fridge and took the oil cooler tube out, then he installed new and improved water cooler.

I have some problems that i'm asking some help to resolve. Oil and turbo organs don't work in the organ panel. turbo hose is connected on the plastic hose on the carburator though. Stalling on 3rd gear and while boost is coming in, im pretty sure its fuel thing but any advice would be great. Also i can't adjust and i don'y know what boost the turbo runs at the moment cause of the non working turbo organ.  
 Also water hoses aren't placed right cause the bonnet can't close. Water circuits, but it's just to tall over the alternator
Any advice would be really helpful guys Thanks in advance.  :)  :)  :) :P

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 17:09, Wed 01 July 2009 »
OK so new fuel pump fitted, 2 fuel filters too one before and one after the pump. After this task, stalling disappeared completely, also after replacing and putting all carb tubes, turgo gauge fixed. I installed an aftermarket psi gauge too, to be able to see the readings a little bit better.
  As i said i've done cup mod on turbo-carb hoses, after installing the aftermarket psi gauge saw that max boost was at 5 psi :S :S :S .
   I lifted the boost via the actuator arm. i turned it 2 times and saw 1 psi more.... I turned it 5 times more and saw maximum 7psi... What is happening faulty actuator maybe?? Also while applying first pressure on gas pedal it stalls for 2 secs but then revs normally... Guys some advice..

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 17:13, Fri 03 July 2009 »
Hmmm.. 0 replies. Oh well actuator wasn't faulty after all just needed some more winding. Spark plugs denso + Beru cables installed, saw big difference on the way the engine reved up + in low rpms. A feedback and maybe an advice or 2 would be nice :) I know browsing the forum will give me many answers but feedback is also nice. Have a nice afternoon :D

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: R5GTT Project From Greece. Some help needed
« Reply #3 on: 17:39, Thu 12 May 2011 »
I resprayed my car fixed the most of the rust etc still doig a bit of work till its ready.
THought putting some pics with the Phase1 arches on!

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18:13, Thu 12 May 2011 »
Looks like a nice colour!  8)

dj_craig_

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20:01, Thu 12 May 2011 »
Good looking 5 mate, I like the phase 1 rear arches. Looks like you have put alot ov effort in to this well done :-)

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21:29, Thu 12 May 2011 »
Ty guys, well yeah as we all do, had plans and dreams, well everything din't go as i wanted, like the whole job done left some rough edges, like arches not done perfect and stuff.
The color is ferrari Red , yeah i know that putting a ferrari called color isn't going to add to my car's bhp but hey :P.
 The phase 1 rear arches look so much better than the phase 2 (personal opinion ofc).THey are actually bigger and more "macho".
 The thing is to not let the airducts empty. I used a standard mess-screen we use in airducts so it doesn't look so empty now.

Did any of you had trouble re-fitting the side arches? they seem theyre going to be a pain to put back on, they don't fit well with the rear arches, they go to front in the front arches etc...

Put them on with a bit of help form a fella here. It  was a pain but theyre secured.

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: R5GTT Project From Greece.
« Reply #7 on: 12:37, Sun 11 September 2011 »
New refurbished Garrrett T25 turbo on. I put it on myself, i was cursing and fighting putting it all together, especially the new screws on the turbo plate... But well VERY happy with it, it gives you a totally different feeling when you've done this by yourself and not just payed another one to do it for you.

Specs of turbo 360 thrush, 48 inlet 47 outlet. Gotta say it's much MUCH better now. It doesn't spool from 2k revs like the T2, always whsistling ssssssssssssssssshhhhhhh with no apparent reason by terms of performance, better fuel/wallet ratio :P and MONSTROUS bang of performance after 3.2k revs. Ofc compared to the ole T2.

denty225

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17:10, Mon 12 September 2011 »
Are you sure you didn't pay the cat to fit it for you? :lol:

s3irios

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20:45, Mon 12 September 2011 »
haha,nah she didn't even bother passing me the screwdriver when i asked for it.

After 3 days of driving the car i can say it is a totally different one, now with the T25. I keep being surprised of the change!

Quick question, 2 times one after starting the car and the other one on a boost i saw a bit of blue smoke nothing too much and ony in these 2 occassions.Rather than that it's smoke-less. Is it normal?