Author Topic: engine change.  (Read 1757 times)

r5gttraider

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
engine change.
« on: 16:16, Sun 05 April 2009 »
how easy is it? im talking about having a track day engine along with track tyres and discs and pads (front) and id have the half rollcage in all the time so people can still sit in the back then id only have to remove rear seats if i felt like it

i mean i could swap over night before, go to the track day rag ti silly knowing its not my daily engine then change it back that afternoon or next day.

i know this sounds like a half arsed way of doing it but ive wanted a track car but cant afford two cars insurance etc as id drive to the track which is a mere 9 miles from me (brans hatch)

how long would it take to take out and fit another engine or am i talking out my arse again?? :?

im talking the same 1.4 t r5 enigne, just a tuned one

or should i just tune the enigne i have and look after it as a daily??

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 17:31, Sun 05 April 2009 »
Most of the tuning is in the turbo-carb-cam set up.
Why not just have an engine as a spare so if it does blow up on track you can swap it over when you get home?

r5gttraider

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 17:52, Sun 05 April 2009 »
that was my idea. so i can blast the car round the track with the tuned engine

but then check my other in for road, tho the car would be track preped like adjustable suspention, so i can set for road or track
all ready have scorp system
and then inside id get all gadges i need
air/fuel raito one worth getting??
and then things that will come off when going to road use would be track tyres
yellow stuff pads and diamond black discs

just a idea really

turbo carb cam i pursume is some thing like

t25 @20psi

rejetted carb and piper cams?

and a mls head gasket

what jets are standard on a r5 as i need to check what my carb is running

r5gtt08

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 17:56, Sun 05 April 2009 »
mate that will be a proper fucking pain in the arse to do especialy if you are going to do it regular and probs a posibility you'l end up breaking something if you keep removing the engine all the time  :wink:

i have just took my engine out today and it took about 2hours altogether as i diidnt want to break anything lol and my new one will be back in tomoz and up an running for about tea time. so i dare say if you dont get pissed off easily i'd say a good days graft would see it in and out and running but thats if nowt goes wrong lol :lol:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
DONT KNOCK IT TIL YOU TRIED IT!!!!!!!!!

owe

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 18:02, Sun 05 April 2009 »
standard carb
main jet is 120
a/c is 1.25
1st is 1.0
2nd is 1.0.

i wud say an afr meter is worth getting. u can go down the large main jet route an spend ur weeks wages on fuel or take it rolling road but with ur own afr meter u can set it up exactly how u want an also u can keep an eye on the mixture in case any problems arise.
everybody needs to watch this film >>>>>endgame by alex jones

gjb0535

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 18:24, Sun 05 April 2009 »
Ive used my R5 for track days for 2 years now.  I have had no major problems with it apart from changing the oil regularly and giving it a service every 6 months ( plugs and fuel filter,clean carb jets set up the carb again with a co meter) Im not saying this is something you must do but as I need daily reliability as well regular servicing should help. The car goes through tyres and front brakes and off course petrol gallons of the stuff.

Look after it and you should be able to use car for dual role i.e track car and every day road car.

Minor probs ive had

Fan belt snapped
Exhaust front pipe blown
turbo gasket
a couple of  boost hoses.
clutch is starting to slip in 5th gear now

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 19:02, Sun 05 April 2009 »
All i ment is to have an engine as a spare so you can leave the same one in for normal use and track days, and then if something did fail in it you can swap it over then ;)
It'd be way too much hassle swapping it over every time you want go go on track, and as already said, you'll end up breaking other tings doing it all the time.

BriC

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 19:21, Sun 05 April 2009 »
Yeh - I agree with Scratcher. It would be totally pointless having 1 engine for track days and 1 for road. The C1J is more than capable of doing both, provided you stay on top of maintenance, etc.

Maybe as Scratcher says - have a decent standard engine as a back up in case you do blow it up.

r5gttraider

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 20:29, Sun 05 April 2009 »
yer suppose, and if i dont over boost im sure itll be fine

just thought it may be easy as theres not much to the engine wires and hose's wise

r5gtt08

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 20:32, Sun 05 April 2009 »
Quote from: "r5gttraider89"
yer suppose, and if i dont over boost im sure itll be fine

just thought it may be easy as theres not much to the engine wires and hose's wise

yeah mate your right in saying theres not much to be removed like wiring and so on but it would be a proper pain all the time so i would say just build a very strong engine and then there you go you can still go to tgrack days and have some fun but just keep an eye on things matey :wink:

r5gttraider

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 20:33, Sun 05 April 2009 »
and thinking about it if i build a strong track engine, itll be uber strong on the road!

r5gtt08

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 20:36, Sun 05 April 2009 »
exactly mate then you will know how much stick you can actually give it without the possibility of breaking down all the time lol :wink:

r5gttraider

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 20:41, Sun 05 April 2009 »
yer and if i know i can run say 20psi track i can run 17-18 road?

r5gtt08

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 20:43, Sun 05 April 2009 »
yep that sounds reasonable i would say but only on a very good engine :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

BriC

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 21:59, Sun 05 April 2009 »
Quote from: "r5gttraider89"
yer and if i know i can run say 20psi track i can run 17-18 road?

No need to run a different amount of psi on the road than on track. If you set the fueling up correctly for 20psi, it will run fine all the time.