Author Topic: My Tungsten Grey 5 GTT (pic heavy!)  (Read 6787 times)

Sy5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
My Tungsten Grey 5 GTT (pic heavy!)
« on: 17:05, Tue 17 February 2009 »
So it's early days in my ownership, just had it nearly week now but so far i have loved every minute of it! Ever since before i could drive i was desperate for a 5 Turbo and i used to get a lift into my weekend job back then with someone who had a pearl white one.

When he came to sell it i had passed my test and was driving, i was adamant i wanted to buy it but back then my dad stood in the way and said it would be so much trouble and cost so much money. My fascination with them never died from that point on, so here we are 11 years later and i have one.

Friends over the years have owned a couple of 5 turbo's mostly modified examples, i have always been a big fan of the standard look to the 5 and swore that one day when i owned one it would be a credit to me and wouldn't deviate far from the standard spec.

Last Friday i became the owner of this 1989 G reg 5 turbo, it has 84,000 miles on the clock and as they go seems reasonably tidy all round. Previous owners have left their own little marks on it which i will slowly change and return back to standard.

How far i take this i am not really sure at the moment but i have room to keep it in my garage out of the way and work on it as my little project.

So the photos and updates will start here then.

These are following a 'rinse' off!

So plans so far are to remove the seats and replace with originals, the lights are going in place of originals. The three gauges that have been hashed into the dash are going to be replaced by the original air vent. Toying with fitting Clio 16v alloys but thats early days yet.

Got an Alpine h/u to go in the dash, the tacky silver stickers that are apparently an 'alloy look dash kit' have been removed and all trim cleaned. About 3 miles worth of stereo cable, some of which was still live i found out! has been stripped out.

The air filter is going to be relocated, probably going to send it into Renault for a service which will be interesting...............

And so it goes on, as and when things change i will take photos and update the thread.

Cheers

Si

Big Steve Raider

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn259/BigSteveT/Raider/
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 18:16, Tue 17 February 2009 »
Those clear rear lights are lots of Put them on e-bay mate ;-)

Sy5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 18:25, Tue 17 February 2009 »
Cheers Steve - yeah i found that out this afternoon, acquired some standard ones so they will be on the bay shortly.

Cheers

Si

Sy5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 18:30, Tue 17 February 2009 »
Ok so an update already!!

Got my standard lights to fit tomorrow, a speaker grille as one was missing, door pockets as mine had been sprayed black?!?!? and on the weekend i pick up my standard seats!

Quick progress eh!

Will post some pics tomorrow.

Si

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 18:34, Tue 17 February 2009 »
Your Shiny Bits Could Do With A Buff Up Mate
Very Nice 5
Go Boost Or Go Home

Sy5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 18:39, Tue 17 February 2009 »
Yeah tell me about it! - got some Auto Sol and planning to get cracking with them tomorrow.

Thanks, see your local!

Si

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 18:43, Tue 17 February 2009 »
Ohh Yea So i See Just In Weston I Dint Realise Yea Im In Bridgy Nice One On Geting a 5 Man Ill Be Seeing You About No Doubt
Go Boost Or Go Home

Sy5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 18:45, Tue 17 February 2009 »
Yeah just 'up country' from you! lol!!!

Yeah probably see me around, i used to work in Bridgy but still visit few people down that way.

Si

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 18:51, Tue 17 February 2009 »
I Pop Into West Evry Now And Then Do a Little One Round The Old Mcds To See Whats About Lol (Im Not Sad Honest)

What Did You Drive Before
Go Boost Or Go Home

Sy5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 18:57, Tue 17 February 2009 »
Had many cars before this when i was working in Bridgy i had a MK4 Golf GTi in white then a BMW E46 convertible in silver with blue roof and then i had a MK5 Golf GTi in red.

Si

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 19:15, Tue 17 February 2009 »
Ah I See So The First Turbo For You Is It Mate
Go Boost Or Go Home

Sy5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 19:17, Tue 17 February 2009 »
Certainly is - been waiting about 11 years for it mind, circumstances are right now and it is do able if you know what i mean.

Si

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 19:26, Tue 17 February 2009 »
Whats That Now That The Fuel Prices Have Droped Down lol
Go Boost Or Go Home

Sy5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 14:14, Wed 18 February 2009 »
An update already!

Been busy today swapping off parts for standard ones i have sourced took a few pics -

The white lights came off to be replaced with the standard items.

Comparison -

Standard ones fitted -

Time to loose the crap painted door pockets!

Ah that's better -

Removed the spoiler which has sort of removed itself to be fair, all the spring clips are in tact so hoping i can refit this nice and snug, looks odd without the spoiler though!

So its all go on the 5!

Watch this space......................

Si

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 15:13, Wed 18 February 2009 »
Am i Rite In Sayin You Got This 5 From a Chap In Bridgy
Go Boost Or Go Home