Author Topic: My 5GTT  (Read 11330 times)

hoolio

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: 18:54, Wed 17 December 2008 »
:) Thanks for the thumbs up and yes i am very happy.
I also know where i can reach you now :wink:

Yes i'll be adding more pics to this thread as time goes on and i'll give you a heads up. :)

GTTboost

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: 18:59, Wed 17 December 2008 »
Quote from: "hoolio"
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
Your stuck with Uniroyal Rallyes in the original size, not to bad in the dry but i don't rate them in the wet.

You have more choice with 185/60's.

Don't think it's going to be seeing much rain :)

It will be a garage queen over the winter, i have a Clio Trophy and a daily but i do want to be able to use it to it's full potential as well when i can.

I found a tyre place a while ago that still had the Dunlops in stock in the original size...  I have been trying to find there link for you...  but cant find it now..  if I do I'll let u know... but think its gone AWOL.

The new set of Uniroyals will prob be ok for you as ur not going to go rallying in the wet and u wont spin in circles at 30mph.. :)

hoolio

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: 19:14, Wed 17 December 2008 »
Quote from: "GTTboost"
as your not going to go rallying in the wet and you wont spin in circles at 30mph.. :)

Oh, so you're not going to be meeting us down the local sainsburys carpark later then? :wink:

GTTboost

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: 21:38, Wed 17 December 2008 »
as your not going to go rallying in the wet and you wont spin in circles at 30mph.. :)

Oh, so you're not going to be meeting us down the local sainsburys carpark later then? :wink:

haha... I'm always the 1st one there!  :lol:    as Ash said tho...  I had them on my standard wheels and they were fine in the dry... but really easy to spin in the wet if you pull away a bit sharpish. Imo, you really do want to keep the original tyre size on this baby.. shame there arent any other options...a new set would still be good.

LEE

• Administrator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.com
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: 22:16, Wed 17 December 2008 »
there are a couple of things that need doing, a few chips

Your not going to paint the front end are you ?? With 14k on the clock I'd be keeping the original paint !!

Looks like its got the optional larger tail pipe standard exhaust as well rather than the pee shooter one !!
Site Administrator

hoolio

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: 10:32, Thu 18 December 2008 »
Quote from: "LEE"
there are a couple of things that need doing, a few chips

Your not going to paint the front end are you ?? With 14k on the clock I'd be keeping the original paint !!

Looks like its got the optional larger tail pipe standard exhaust as well rather than the pee shooter one !!

Not if i can help it, in fact no :) It still has that "lovely" orange peel effect over most of the paintwork and the detailing purists might not like it but i want it to stay. Basically there are some chips that have been done, not very well, that could be cleaned up and some new ones to do. when i do these i spot in the paint and then use tiny bits of wet and dry on the end of a pencil then spot polish so only small areas are ever affected.

GTTboost

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: 11:18, Thu 18 December 2008 »
Sounds good, I dont know if thats what chips-away do, but the work they did to remove my chips is spot on..  you would never know it had been touched in..and a perfect match.. I am pretty fussy and couldnt see any miss matches at all in any lighting conditions.. just a perfect finish and colour match.

LEE

• Administrator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.com
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: 14:48, Thu 18 December 2008 »
Sounds good, I dont know if thats what chips-away do, but the work they did to remove my chips is spot on..  you would never know it had been touched in..and a perfect match.. I am pretty fussy and couldnt see any miss matches at all in any lighting conditions.. just a perfect finish and colour match.

Thats different to the experience I had with them, I used them to paint a scuff someone did to my golf and they did it once and it had too much purple in the paint so I said I wasn't happy, they did it again while I was there and they mixed the paint up so unaccurately that it was never gonna be a good match..

I let them do it as I got them to do it cheaper than normal (Person who scuffed it was paying) and cos Im fussy think he was a bit pissed off that I'd moaned, then at the weekend went to VW got the correct colour, wiped off the shit job the'd done and all the overspray behind the bumper where they hadnt masked properly and painted it myself !!
Site Administrator

GTTboost

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: 15:33, Thu 18 December 2008 »
Quote from: "LEE"

Thats different to the experience I had with them, I used them to paint a scuff someone did to my golf and they did it once and it had too much purple in the paint so I said I wasn't happy, they did it again while I was there and they mixed the paint up so unaccurately that it was never gonna be a good match..

I let them do it as I got them to do it cheaper than normal (Person who scuffed it was paying) and cos Im fussy think he was a bit pissed off that I'd moaned, then at the weekend went to VW got the correct colour, wiped off the shit job the'd done and all the overspray behind the bumper where they hadnt masked properly and painted it myself !!

Thats not good mate,  the thing is Chips-Away is run by 100's of small franchises thoughout the country.  I was lucky I had a good place work on mine..specailly after hearing your experience  :shock:

Its like saying postmen are useless...  we dont all get the same one... but they are all still called postmen...doesnt mean there all tossers...lol.

I would still use them for small chips..  if I needed them... but I wouldnt use your guy! he sounds a right monkey..  :?

hoolio

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: 18:41, Fri 19 December 2008 »
You are lucky, he must have been very good to match up your colour with no problems, with mine being white it should be a lot easier, much more difficult to get any extra luster out of the paintwork but much more forgiving on almost invisible blemishes.
So the wheels thing, is it that it's difficult to get the metal to fit without lots of messing around? It would be nice to be able to just swop the shoes when i wanted, like i said i do want to keep the original speedlined with the original rubber. Have to do more digging on this i think.

GTTboost

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: 16:32, Sat 20 December 2008 »
is it that it's difficult to get the metal to fit without lots of messing around?

I'm not sure what u mean about getting the metal to fit?  

Yep.  sounds like I did well to get a good match on my chip repair..  would be good to see pics on how u get on with yours when u get around to it  8)

hoolio

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: 19:01, Sat 20 December 2008 »
^^ yeah, that is confusing.

Basically what are my options re different wheels, same size and ET or at least close enough so that they don't cause any problems that i can fit some new rubber on, from what i gather i'm quite limited.

I will, hopefully in the new year.

pebbles

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: 21:08, Sun 21 December 2008 »
Thats not good mate,  the thing is Chips-Away is run by 100's of small franchises thoughout the country.  I was lucky I had a good place work on mine..specailly after hearing your experience  :shock:  :?

Chips Away and all other 'smart repair' companies are a joke! I should know i used to work for a smart repair company.

I could tell you every dirty trick in the book! You want a proper job, take it to a Body shop. You pay for what you get.

I studied paint/refinishing at college for 4 years and now have a proper job as a paint technician, doing things how they should be done!

Mintest 5 i have seen dude,dont sell it! ( unless its to me  :D  )

GTTboost

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: 21:17, Sun 21 December 2008 »
Quote from: "pebbles"
Thats not good mate,  the thing is Chips-Away is run by 100's of small franchises thoughout the country.  I was lucky I had a good place work on mine..specailly after hearing your experience  :shock:  :?

Chips Away and all other 'smart repair' companies are a joke! I should know i used to work for a smart repair company.

I could tell you every dirty trick in the book! You want a proper job, take it to a Body shop. You pay for what you get.

I studied paint/refinishing at college for 4 years and now have a proper job as a paint technician, doing things how they should be done!

Mintest 5 i have seen dude,dont sell it! ( unless its to me  :D  )

You cant get better than the truth from somebody like yourself..  I respect your information :) happy xmas  8)

pebbles

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: 21:25, Sun 21 December 2008 »
No problem dude, just be carefull letting some noddy near your pride and joy  :shock:

And next time you need your bonnet humping and fancy a drive to the midlands id be happy to share my knowledge matey.

merry X Mas  :P