Author Topic: My Project  (Read 2331 times)

FurioKid

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.co.uk
My Project
« on: 17:18, Tue 05 August 2008 »
Haven't posted on here in quite a while, been locked away in the garage trying to get it finished lol

I'll start from the beginning........bought my first R5 a couple of years ago and had it on the road for 3 months until the headgasket blew and I discovered both sills to have more holes than swiss cheese lol

Took the car off the road and started stripping it apart to start afresh. Unfortunately then spent a year not really making any progress, but started again back in December, and I'm pleased to say its almost finished.

First of all the bodywork needed sorting, replaced both sills, rewelded the rear arch and bumper bracket, the rear cross member where the rear axle bolts too. After repairing it all, filled and smoothed all the bodywork down, including the boot. Fully resprayed myself in my garage, inside and out.

Then came the job of reassembling everything, which is a job trying to remember where everything goes lol. The interior consists of a rear rollcage, new leather bucket seats, Momo steering wheel and B&M short shifter although harnesses are on there way aswell as carbon fibre doorcards  :D

Also uprated the suspension including Avo adjustable rear dampers and torsion bar adjusted 50mm aswell as Gaz coilovers up front. New wheel bearings fitted on the front and new rear ones will be fitted soon.

Brakes haven't been left either. Replaced all the copper brake pipes, fitted goodridge braided brake lines, and serviced and painted all calipers. Fitted uprated big brake conversion up front with drilled discs and OMP race pads front and rear.

Next on the list is to get the engine rebuilt using new pistons and liners so as to get it back on the road.

Hopefully get some pics soon and get them posted up, but thought I'd give an update of how its going  :D

FurioKid

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 22:31, Thu 07 May 2009 »
Right, its only been about 8 months since updating but i've been a busy bee lol.

The projects almost finished now, repsrayed her myself in my garage, heres a couple of pics.

Fitted new sills due to mine having more holes than swiss cheese lol

Masked it all up and primed her up

Smoothed the boot off also

Then got cracking to it and started putting her back together and got some new seats and harnesses

Got my newly rebuilt engine back in aswell, had to cut my bonnet hinges off so as to fit the intercooler and alos drop the alternator so as to clear the piping

Then most recently i refurbished some different alloys to my original choice, gone for 15"s rather than 17"s for better handling. Also trimmed my front bumper to house the intercooler and also had to cut some of the bonnet lip cos of it hitting the intercooler, just gotta fit the bonnet pins now, then respray the front bumper and bonnet

Almost there now, main thing at the minute is that the brakes appear not to be working properly, bled it all through and got fluid through all the nipples but the pedal is still crap?! Next job is to get it sorted

What does anyone think?

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 00:58, Fri 08 May 2009 »
nice work there mate 8) i had the same problem had my resovior upside down in a bag for 6 months and it bled itself dry,i used a pressure bleeder on mine and its worked a treat made sure thr rear load compensator is free and in the open possition or it wont bleed through the back brakes properly  :wink: hope this helps mate

FurioKid

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 22:26, Thu 14 May 2009 »
no still no luck mate  :(

posted up on rtoc aswell but it seems a mystery. I've got fluid coming through all the brakes and if i pump the pedal a couple of times if goes hard and stays hard if i hold it, but if i let off and leave it for a minute it goes to the floor  :?  checked everything at it all appears to be working ok, and the rear brakes are adjusted as far as they will go.

only thing i can think at the minute is the servo? possibly the one way valve at the servo or in the inlet manifold?!

sparkysparks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 13:28, Fri 15 May 2009 »
christ! how big is that intercooler, whats it from?

FurioKid

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 13:57, Sun 17 May 2009 »
i have no idea lol, i've had to custom fit everything to make it fit though, including making up boost pipes and cutting the bonnet lip so as it fits properly lol