Author Topic: engine re-build??  (Read 2120 times)

ollie91

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
engine re-build??
« on: 13:08, Thu 10 July 2008 »
Took the engine out of my car and have it sat on a bench do i do a full rebuild or just a headgasket and clutch? I think im straying more to just a gasket and clutch as i want to fit my new fmic what do you boys recomend??
Many thanks
If in doubt GO FLAT OUT!

dazzleandshine

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.oxfordshirechauffeurs.com
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 13:27, Thu 10 July 2008 »
if you have the engine out then go for a full rebuild if you have the funds as you no when you put it back in its going to last a while as the last thing you want to do is put engine back in and then something happens and it has to come out again....thats what i would do anyway

ollie91

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 13:30, Thu 10 July 2008 »
yea so defo go for the rebuild then well funds aint to bad am a mechanic anyway so i gt it all cheap lol guna b a pain in the ass to find rings for it tho i think :shock:
If in doubt GO FLAT OUT!

H150GTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 13:36, Thu 10 July 2008 »
I would have to agree..

Nothing worse than building the car up and having it all sitting nice then having to pull it all out again.  
Been there done that  :(  :oops:
If you dont go for a rebuild then consider giving it a good check over when you have it on the bench.

dazzleandshine

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.oxfordshirechauffeurs.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 13:47, Thu 10 July 2008 »
enigne rebuild it is then  :D

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 14:27, Thu 10 July 2008 »
Right go onto CGB & look at the prices.
New pistons & liners, liner seals, bottom end set, headgasket set, coolant & oils(get cheapo oil x 2 & 1 lot of decent stuff) 3x oil filters (yep 3) main shells, big end shells (don't mix the end caps up off the pistons they are matched ;) ) sump sealant.

Prob get all you need for a full rebuild for around 500 or so, maybe less.

If you don't have a cam fitted & have the cash get one, with the springs & vernier prob looking at 250

Once rebuilt, run up to temp, dump oil, change filter, new cheapo oil in, run at 1 bar boost or less & drive gently but still boost her now & again, this helps bed the rings in. If you have fitted a cam you have to run it in @ 2k rpms i think anyway. 250 miles dump oil, change filter & put in decent oil & drive however you like.

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 20:21, Fri 11 July 2008 »
yeh mate if you got her out your just aswell too nothing worse than doing a job twice :(

ollie91

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 15:46, Sat 19 July 2008 »
gtt boy ure a star mate am defo goin to look into cgb for the parts now its bein camed its got a piper cam reprofiled not sure what to tho. What oil do you run in your car mate??
Thanks
If in doubt GO FLAT OUT!

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 21:47, Sat 19 July 2008 »
hows the build coming along mate? i missed your call earlier, i was painting my rocker cover. did try ringing back but it wouldn't go through on your mobile.

i use 10/40W oil at the mo but i'm going to change it and filter and run 15/40W. either one'll be fine.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 07:52, Sun 20 July 2008 »
Yeah 10/40 is fine, i use 20/50 as i run lots of boost & the car gets revved to 7k, my car doesn't see the road alot though :)

GAZ-MAN

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 22:49, Tue 29 July 2008 »
thats were i got all my re build stuff from theyre very helpfull and delivery is next day