Author Topic: My little 5 GTT project  (Read 10082 times)

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
My little 5 GTT project
« on: 21:03, Tue 27 May 2008 »
As youre about to see there was ALOT of bodywork to be done on this one.

Some pics of the bodykit before work and respray

Here its back from respray, and ready for reasembly

And here it is reasembled, exept for te F#% petrol flap which had one of those horrible isotta stickers. so im still waitng for a new one as the one ive got got F%# when trying to remove the sticker. other than that i guess im pretty satisfied with the cars appearance, except lowering it and getting some 17"s for it  :)

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 21:15, Tue 27 May 2008 »
Nice car, that bumper is going to get mullered on the road though  :cry:
Watch the kit on pot holes as well, i had the same kit on my old GTT, caught the corners at the rear on potholes, really pi55ed me off.
Keep up the good work though, looks sweet, i love the kit, as i say i had it a few years ago, i used the K-tec front bumper though.

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 21:22, Tue 27 May 2008 »
Thanks  :D
I was just wondering what i coult do to prevent the front bumper scraping like hell? the is lowered in the front at the moment though im considering going back to the original springs. Just need more ground clearance, and hopefully a stiffer ride than than the original one.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 21:32, Tue 27 May 2008 »
Thing is they do 2 bumpers for that kit IIRC, one for big rims & one for smaller ones.
It's really low if you have small rims & the one for big rims  :shock:

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 21:49, Tue 27 May 2008 »
Well then I guess Ill have to get some 17"s to be able to use the bumper for normal driving. And to do that I guess Ill have to get spacers and coilovers to be able to fit the 17"s as well.

BTW the paintjob you had on the 5 you posted here what effect is it?
SpectraFlakes or something? Looked really sweet  8)

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 21:55, Tue 27 May 2008 »
Yeah, Rage spectraflash silver.
I ran 17's on mine, the wife has 17's on her car & it doesn't rub (only on full lock so smaller rims for mot or spacers) ;)

NaylsGTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 21:57, Tue 27 May 2008 »
I like it!! :)

two things i'd change though,
1- it needs an open mouth grille to go with the kit.
2- bigger wheels,i dont like big wheels,im actually taking the 17's off mine,but you need bigger wheels,again to go with the kit.

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 22:05, Tue 27 May 2008 »
I agree.
At the moment i also need the front wheel arches to go with the kit.
But as a student I cant afford too much right now so it has to be done when I get some more money.  :(

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 22:09, Tue 27 May 2008 »
hehe for the MOT i use my ugly 15"s and my beat up standard bumper,looks shit in combination with the side skirts, but as long as it passes the MOT Im happy  :lol:

so as long as im not using full lock when turning it wont rub with 17"s ET35?  even without coilovers? I need to get some ASAP  :D

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 22:15, Tue 27 May 2008 »
On the arches at the front no (as long as you aren't super low), inners on lock yes, some standard shocks may need 'hammer time' to flatten the cup a bit, lol, some don't, it doesn't effect the spring though & if you take your time no one should notice, you need to run 205/40/17 tyres as well.
The rear may or may not need a trim, it's something you'll have to look at.

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 22:26, Tue 27 May 2008 »
Thanks ALOT for tips  :D

Im running yellow koni with some black eibach springs, not sure how much they lower the car. I think somewhere between 35-50mm, wasnt me who lowered the car. guess its "hammertime" pretty soon  :D

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 22:30, Tue 27 May 2008 »
Koni's may clear ok, if not, try some 3 or 5mm spacers, i ran 10 or 15mm with longer bolts on the rear of mine to space the rears out as they sat too far in foe me, i can't remember if i cut the rear out a bit under the arches or not though.
I may have chopped the front a little as well under the aches (i had the carisma fronts as well)

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 22:42, Tue 27 May 2008 »
well then ill have to work alot this summer, cause rims and tires cost... :(
Was thinking about the Momo FXL rims, i think they will look wicked with the cars colour.  :D and maybe ill get some 195/40/17". have to see how much money im going to get my hands on this summer... i guess it will look pretty good on the little 5  8)

dazzleandshine

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.oxfordshirechauffeurs.com
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 11:22, Wed 28 May 2008 »
iam not really in to after market kits as like the standard look but ive just got to say that front bumper looks really mean and i really like the look of it, keep the good work up

lexgtturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 14:01, Wed 28 May 2008 »
thanks  :)

BTW i like the originals to, but all the plastic on the car was cracked to the point of no return allready long before i got my hands on it. As we all know phase 1 plastic costs craploads of money and as you say the kit looks mean and it did only cost a fraction of what the original would have cost... And thats the only reason ive got the kit.

:)