Author Topic: my r5 Update 8th march  (Read 15037 times)

bernard

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
my r5 Update 8th march
« on: 17:38, Mon 12 May 2008 »
Hi chaps just got myself a r5 about a week ago, I usually into my rs turbos but im fed up of it being broken all the time and cant be arsed to take the engine in and out anymore times lol.  Im really enjoy this motor great fun, having a bit of problem with the fuel pump but got a new cuming tomorrow so should be all good.  I shall get a few more pics of the bay soon looks like its had a fair amount of money spent on it but un aware of the specs as the last owner doesnt know, anyway the pics :D

RickGTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 17:46, Mon 12 May 2008 »
if ur fed up of ur rs turbos breaking all the time then an r5 wouldnt be my first choice for a new car  :D
theres a little 5 in all of us

bernard

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
r5
« Reply #2 on: 17:48, Mon 12 May 2008 »
yeah I know my mates think im mad, think I just want somthing different to work on in a way :lol:

gttdave

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 00:52, Wed 14 May 2008 »
hello there nice r5gtt what can i say you gotta love em they are fragile in there own way its like having a motorcross bike loads of servicing and checks to do but its all good fun :) ive had mine just over 3years my 1st car legaly on the road,id never sell it, was standard when i got it but ive done loads to it now,best mod is the side exit exhaust it roars!!! ive had centre exit carisma 12"by4"inch,scorpion systems etc ive got good i.c.e never have it on windows are down listening to her roaring!! :D hope all goes well for you enjoy!!! 8)
drvie it like you stole it!!!

bernard

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
r5
« Reply #4 on: 20:58, Wed 14 May 2008 »
cheers pal  :D  I got the new pump and now its working again, I did a service at the same time as it was well due for it. running sweet as  8)

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 22:49, Wed 14 May 2008 »
Lovely looking car matey great colour

bernard

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 23:09, Wed 14 May 2008 »
cheers :D

big dave

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 13:07, Thu 15 May 2008 »
nice 5 mate. they are realy fragile as mine is in need of a engine rebuild
but all good fun  :D

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 13:30, Thu 15 May 2008 »
Quote from: "big dave"
nice 5 mate. they are realy fragile as mine is in need of a engine rebuild
but all good fun  :D

I wouldn't go to say they are fragile as long as fully serviced regular and fueling is correct for the boost being run. All should be good. Don't forget most of these cars are around 20 years old so things will have worn out and need replacing but that is to be expected. Re-builds are good as previous owners rag the shit out of them without any care hence the reason r5's have got the old the headgaskets go (bleed valves and standard carb not fueled correctly).

bernard

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 19:39, Sat 19 July 2008 »
fitted my bucket seat.

Ive been busy getting bits ready for my handling and brakes overhaul, I am ordering some spax rsx coilovers on Monday so hopefully have all the parts needed by the weekend.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 19:55, Sat 19 July 2008 »
OOooo, you're going to be having some fun, i see wishbones, discs & pads, new poly doughnut & new bearings for the suspension (i have this set up) new coilovers (i also have those) the pain in the arse is the wishbones, you'll prob have to cut the old ones off mate, they rearely come out, you may get the rear ones out but the front ones usually rust & won't come out of the old bearings, hence Mr anglegrinder with cutting discs coming out to play :)

Best measure the new wishbones up with the old ones as some places have the wrong ones for the GTT, pass side i think & they are wider tracked by an inch..... Not good to find that out after you have fitted them  :evil:
That seat looks alot more comfy than mine as well :(

You will find the coilovers may look high on the pass side due to the weight so it may have to come slightly lower that side, thats how i set mine up anyway.

bernard

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 20:49, Sat 19 July 2008 »
yeah its going to be fun fitting all new bits and even funner trying them out! yeah I had to send back the nearside wishbone as it was about a inch longer (so be aware people when buying a LH wishbone from GSF).

The seat is quite comfy but would nt like to be in it for hours lol, Its set quite low down starting to fill like a right go kart  8)

Parts Im fitting:

Big brake conversion kit-greenstuff pads
Rear brake kit-greenstuff pads
Wishbones
track rod ends
strut bearings
poly doughnuts + anti roll bars bushes
spax coilovers
renault nuts and bolts
etc..

gtt boy Im not sure what your on about regarding cutting things, are you saying I may have to cut the bolts off holding the wishbone on :?

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 21:02, Sat 19 July 2008 »
Yes, you may have to cut through the nuts near the wishbone as they will usually turn but not come out ( they rust into the old bushes) :( some are ok, some aren't, just remember when you refit the new ones to add some copper slip!!

I had to do this on a mates car when i poly bushed his wishbones, well we ended up with new wishbones in the end  as well ;)

bernard

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 21:12, Sat 19 July 2008 »
oo I see, good to know these things before I start nice one

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 21:15, Sat 19 July 2008 »
Yes, a real PITA usually i'm afraid to say, alot of swearing as well, also i hope your top mount bolts aren't rusted as well :(