Author Topic: My R5  (Read 1980 times)

djinuk

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
My R5
« on: 19:39, Mon 07 April 2008 »
Ok so i brought a R5 , having a few problems but it mostly seems ok, dipstick keeps blowing out, and there is oil every in the engine bay, (i dont think dipstick is the only thing to blame,.

anyhow the car

and engine, the car is going to be having all bodywork etc done , so dont worry about that :), any ideas on engine problems, the breathers seem crazy how they are setup/

ollie91

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 19:50, Mon 07 April 2008 »
im onli a first year mechanic but piston rigs may be makeing the dippy jump out but dot take my word as gtt boy he'll know
If in doubt GO FLAT OUT!

djinuk

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 20:07, Mon 07 April 2008 »
ah well, I have got my head around peugeot 205 engines, but have no idea about these so its going to be a steep learning curve for me, the guy said he has very recently fitted new shells, but he also said the breather system is not right.

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 21:07, Mon 07 April 2008 »
From the pic your breather system looks ok (standard) I would make sure it clear and free of blockages and make sure the 2 x restrictors are in place.

With regards to the dipstick does it move in and out to freely of the oil level tube?? If so just put a bit of tap around the top of the dipstick to keep it in tight or squash the top of the tube a tad to make it tighter

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 08:44, Tue 08 April 2008 »
I came from 205 GTIs aswell, the GT turbo engine isn't that hard to get around once you figure out what does what.  8)

Trust me, you will have your head under the bonnet a lot.

Dipstick popping out is usually a sign of worn rings, do a compression test to rule out the worst.

As for the breather setup, there should be a picture on here somewhere for the 'cup mod', that gets rid of the breather pipe into the turbo intake which is worth doing.

djinuk

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 20:19, Sat 12 April 2008 »
well, tomorrow im going to delve into this car, and work out exactly whats wrong with it, and what isnt :P

djinuk

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 02:03, Sun 04 May 2008 »
ok i lied, so far i have been ultra lazy and not touched the car, however tomorrow my plan is to do a compression test , and also to figure out the problem with the oil pressure gauge.  Should i get the engine warm before doing a compression test?

big dave

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 15:30, Tue 06 May 2008 »
i dont think it matters if its warm or cold
nice car