Author Topic: MY RAIDER  (Read 5843 times)

chrisb

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
MY RAIDER
« on: 01:46, Fri 22 February 2008 »
Hi, this is the current spec of my 1990 R5 GT TURBO RAIDER. It was 1 month old and had about 1000 miles on the clock when i bought it.
TURBO DYNAMICS MD28 hybrid turbo.
GT TUNING parts- pro cockpit variable boost control, closed loop dump valve, group a carb, crossdrilled front brake discs, braided turbo oil feed pipe.
K-TEC parts- alloy intercooler, high tensile head bolts, high output fuel pump, 8mm ht leads.
Other bits include SCORPION stainless exhaust with 3.5mm rolled out tailpipe, SPAX-PSX suspension kit+ adjusted torsion bar, SPARCO front suspension brace, kevlar front brake pads, SAMCO turbo air inlet+ oil return hoses, 83 deg thermostat+ lo-temp rad fan switch, RACETECH boost gauge, white front indicators, COBRA immobiliser, JR air filter+ modified intake.
The group a carb has been on it for 7 years and always ran rich but over the last 3 i`ve had to clean the plugs every month or so. I`ve just rebuilt it again (3rd time) but now with a 1.3 mm main jet and 0.9mm air and i`ve changed the plugs from NGK B8EG`S to B8EVX`S to see how it runs.
The bodywork is a bit tatty (lots of rust at the bottom edge of the windscreen+ small dents along both sides of the car) and the original clutch has just started slipping.
I`ve just got this avatar thing to work and i might put some pictures on here if i can figure it out. I see some peoples pics appear straight away and some you have to click a link. Any advice would be appreciated.
Keep up the good work guys,
chris.

chrisb

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
MY RAIDER
« Reply #1 on: 21:08, Tue 11 March 2008 »
JUST A FEW PHOTOS OF THE CAR.

JUST HAD A GROUP N CLUTCH AND L/B FLYWHEEL FITTED BY K-TEC (A BIT HARSH- WILL TAKE SOME GETTING USED TO) AND I'VE TAKEN OFF THE GROUP A CARB AND PUT ON A STANDARD ONE WITH 1.3 MAIN AND 0.9 AIR JETS TO TRY TO STOP IT OVERFUELLING ALL THE TIME.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 21:24, Tue 11 March 2008 »
Nice motor, so you've had it 17/18 years ?

Ouch on the clutch, how much did k-tec sting you for that ?
Good move getting rid of the grp a carb ;)

chrisb

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
MY RAIDER
« Reply #3 on: 22:07, Tue 11 March 2008 »
THE CLUTCH + FLYWHEEL WAS 474 SUPPLIED AND FITTED, I HAVEN'T GOT THE SPACE OR LIFTING EQUIPMENT TO DO IT MY SELF, I CAN DO A HEADGASKET/TOP END BUT NOT THE HEAVY STUFF.
NOT SURE ABOUT THE GROUP A CARB PROBS. IT USED TO FOUL THE PLUGS ALOT BUT THE CAR IS ONLY USED MAINLY AROUND TOWN, NOT MUCH FULL THROTTLE USE. SINCE I STRIPPED/ REBUILT IT IT HAS HAD A FLAT SPOT WHEN PULLING AWAY AND WAS HESITANT/ JERKY AT LOW/ CRUISING REVS. K-TEC WERE SUPPOSED TO TAKE A LOOK AT IT BUT THEY DIDN'T, SO I THEN HAD A SNATCHY CLUTCH AND A FLAT SPOT, FUC***G WONDERFUL.
I'VE JUST GOT A STANDARD CARB FROM CGB, IT WAS A BIT OILY/DIRTY BUT GENERALLY OK, I STRIPPED/ REBUILT IT AND IT CURED THE PROBLEMS. I'VE NOW FITTED A 1.3 MAIN AND 0.9 AIR JET AND WILL SEE HOW IT GOES

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 09:58, Wed 12 March 2008 »
That will prob fuel ok for 1 bar, maybe 16 psi.

chrisb

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
MY RAIDER
« Reply #5 on: 19:48, Wed 12 March 2008 »
SORRY, GTT BOY, FORGOT YOUR 1'ST QUESTION. I BOUGHT THE CAR ON 26/MAR 1990 FOR 8700, NEW PRICE I THINK WAS 10500, RAIDERS WERE ABOUT 500 QUID MORE THAN STANDARD. A MATE BOUGHT A NEW E-REG RED ONE AND TOOK ME FOR A DRIVE, I THOUGHT F*** ME I'VE GOT TO GET ONE OF THESE AND SPENT THE NEXT 2 YEARS SAVING ALL MY MONEY. GOT IT JUST BEFORE MY 25th BIRTHDAY.
I'VE READ SOME OF YOUR THREADS AND SEEN YOUR PICS, VERY NICE SORTED CAR YOU HAVE THERE. LOOKS LIKE A WIDEBAND AFR IS THE WAY TO GO FOR ME NEXT!

chrisb

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 02:06, Thu 22 May 2008 »
Well, just got it through the MOT, it had failed on rusty hole on the front passenger side fwd jack position, welded up ok, also an advisory on the drivers side seatbelt mounting (corrosion, not serious).
Most of the usual fail stuff like track rod ends, anti roll bar mount/bushes etc have been replaced in the last few years so no probs there, also all wheel bearings.
I noticed a few weeks ago that the aux fuel pump bracket in the rear wheel arch area was very rusty and there are a few rusty areas along the sills.
It is running so much better since i took off the group ''a'' carb and i sometimes used an open filter but now have decided to stick with the original airbox, low down torque is a lot better, wot in this area for more than about 3 secs gets the cameras flashing, the f*****s are everywhere.

chrisb

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 01:29, Mon 04 May 2009 »
Just SORNed my RAIDER yesterday, the mot was due soon and there are too many problems to sort it. I was using it every day and last year i was travelling from Bournemouth to Heathrow for work on a 4 on 4 off shift (90 miles 1 way) and this year from Bournemouth to Southend Airport (160 miles 1 way).
The poor old 5 (107000 miles) was just hanging in there but with a lot of vibration from a driveshaft, very noisy wheel bearing, coolant level dropping on every trip, blue smoke from the exhaust, noisy turbo bearing, a few other problems aswell it was time to put the 5 into my garage so i can spend a bit of time on it.
Going up and down the motorway with one eye on the temp gauge and the other on the oil pressure gauge wasn't what you would call fun, wondering if i would get to the other end ok!
Anyway, just bought a black 54 reg Clio 182 full fat with cup packs, if it lasts as long as the 5 i will be more than happy! I see K-Tec are selling a low pressure turbo diy kit for about 2500 to get 215 bhp for the 172/182 Clios, based on the Garrett GT28 ballbearing turbo, looks interesting! mmmmmm.

Big Steve Raider

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn259/BigSteveT/Raider/
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 09:03, Tue 05 May 2009 »
Get that 2500 spent on your Raider  :wink:

She's done you proud driving you up to Heathrow & Southend all these years, maybe you should give her a bit back before she just quietly rusts away??

dikky

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 10:28, Tue 05 May 2009 »
sweet ride pal!!! love the history pal!!! hows it run with t28???
if there aint no rust it aint worth drivin!!

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 03:22, Wed 06 May 2009 »
yeh mate sweet car looks very origanal,great you held on to her all these years,if i was you mate id strip her down and start again and restore her back to all her glory make her last another 19 years well done mate 8)

chrisb

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 17:13, Sat 09 May 2009 »
Well the 182 feels like a jeep/bus compared to the go-kart like Raider, obviously with the power steering and abs it will take some getting used to but it seems ok for a daily driver so far.
The Raider will never die, it just needs some love and attention to make it fast and reliable again, when work and finances allow it. Too many problems have appeared at the same time and with the Mot due soon it has to be taken off road.
I need to change all the coolant hoses for silicone types for reliability, i want to take the engine out for an overhaul, new pistons/liners/bearings etc and balancing, the MD28 turbo needs replacing- for bigger and better type, new radiator, maybe a fmic, the bodywork needs a lot of work with all the rust and dents on it, all these jobs will take a bit of time.
I have replacement inlet and exhaust manifolds that i will have a go at matching to the gasket/ head flowed and cleaned up, new valve guides if needed, i have a group 'a' headgasket kit and valve stem seals to fit.
 I took the head off once before at 73000 miles when the original T2 turbo blew up but have never taken the engine out, so that will be fun.
Having driven the 182 for just over a week now i must say that it is better than the 19 year old 5 as far as early morning starts ie cold starting are concerned, the suspension is firm but not crashy like the Spax setup in my 5, the window winders work 100% of the time, it is a bit more relaxing to drive but not as exciting!

chrisb

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 18:21, Sat 09 May 2009 »
Also the oil pressure seemed a bit too high on the 5 on the last couple of trips, the 1 way valves on the back of the manifold for engine/ brake servo operate ok but there is oil residue coming from the turbo boost controller outlet pipe(bleed valve). There is no mixing of the oil/ water, ie no mayo under the oil filler cap.
The 2 restrictors in the engine pressure vent pipes are ok, i took the spark plugs out and found the no. 2 plug was browish compared to the other 3 (white/grey), all 4 used to be black/carboned with the group'a' carb but since the change to the standard carb with different jets it used to run fine.
I think the head gasket maybe at fault as there is no sign of any external coolant leaks.
There is a major oil leak from somewhere around the oil filter, cooler pipes area, i changed the oil filter about 1 month ago and i have done this job loads of times before with no problems, maybe a filter seal problem! Will have to investigate further

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 23:11, Sat 09 May 2009 »
Theres a small valve on the oil pump, high oil pressure might mean it's getting stuck.

Or the guage is reading wrong, if your still using the standard guage.

chrisb

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: MY RAIDER
« Reply #14 on: 20:29, Fri 26 March 2010 »
Started the Raider up today for the 1st time since last summer, had to move a tool box roll cab out of the garage so reversed the 5 onto the drive and then put it back in before the rain started again!
It started 2nd go (remembered it has a manual choke), ran it for a couple of minutes till it was off choke and idled ok.
Hopefully i will start to start to rebuild/ renovate it this year as i  now work back in Bournemouth again.
The Clio 182 is going ok, new cam and aux belts fitted, K-tec exhaust and sports cat, just about to buy an RS Tuner to liven up the performance a bit! The ride and handling on it are great( cup pack suspension) but the steering is a bit crap, i will keep it as a daily driver for a while.