Author Topic: Project RS  (Read 2318 times)

chigga

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Project RS
« on: 03:28, Fri 25 January 2008 »
Greeting from Canada, this is a thread to document my project here, and would really appreciate if you guys can help us along.

- I, and Mike from EuroDesign (www.eurodesigncanada.com) thought its fun to do up a Renault R5, simply cause its light, its fast, and very few are in North America. He's good with body and carbon fiber, my work is related to sourcing parts overseas, voila.

- The RS is just copying what most manufacture use for their lightweight version.

- car is an 89, phase 2 GT turbo, 159k km on it, riced out from previous owner.

goals:
- completely restoration on the body
- Euro'd style, less is more
- down and out, stretch and poke (I like 'em subtle)
- drivetrain rebuilt and minor upgrades (150whp or so)
- 1700lb wet, its at 1900 ish right now
- high 13, low 14s 1/4
- handle like a go kart
- cool interior

here's how the car sits as of now, we stripping it this week, hopefully it'll go on the rotisserie in a month, and I can fab up new subframe and a-arms.

I quickly p-chop'd the car

lowered (reverse rake)

lowered + TH line

right now, we need the following:
- headlights
- decent shape front bumper
- good (driver on RHD, passenger on LHD)'s side skirt
- the strange little thing under taillight that lines up with the flare
- kit to rebuilt the engine

cathalGT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 10:07, Fri 25 January 2008 »
Try these guys
This is where I get most my stuff from
http://www.cgbmotorsport.com/
Loads of spare bits and bobs for the 5 if you need anything, all used of course but if your in Ireland and your stuck give me a bell

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 10:32, Fri 25 January 2008 »
You may struggle to find a wide 'euro' style rim that fits the rear of the gtt, especially if you lower it alot.
If you want decent 1/4 mile times you will need propper drag slicks, not track race tyres (they take to long to warm up), something like Mickey thomsons or M&H, again you will struggle to get them to fit if you go for a small wheel & dropped to the max.
I run 170-180 whp & i've only managed a 14.01 @ 100.4 mph (due to tyres), i have had better terminals, 104mph is my best so far.
This year i hope to get into the 13's as i'll prob buy some drag tyres.
Don't forget a decent clutch if you are dragging & using slicks/drag tyres ;)

I fear P&P will be alot to get stuff across to you though.

RickGTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 18:16, Fri 25 January 2008 »
i never knew they had r5's on the other side of the water :P

also loose bonnet vent looks a bit iffy :?
theres a little 5 in all of us

chigga

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 23:34, Mon 28 January 2008 »
Quote from: "GTTBoy"
You may struggle to find a wide 'euro' style rim that fits the rear of the gtt, especially if you lower it alot.
If you want decent 1/4 mile times you will need propper drag slicks, not track race tyres (they take to long to warm up), something like Mickey thomsons or M&H, again you will struggle to get them to fit if you go for a small wheel & dropped to the max.
I run 170-180 whp & i've only managed a 14.01 @ 100.4 mph (due to tyres), i have had better terminals, 104mph is my best so far.
This year i hope to get into the 13's as i'll prob buy some drag tyres.
Don't forget a decent clutch if you are dragging & using slicks/drag tyres ;)

I fear P&P will be alot to get stuff across to you though.

hehe, about the body, that's the part where Mike's expertise comes to play. I personally want 15x8 all around or 15x8.5 with 195/45/15 or 205, I still have yet to look into the whole rear beam thing, since never dealt with such design before, I was hoping may be gain 1 degree of camber at the rear and gain some toe in while playing with it.

As far as in the 1/4, I think by adding a LSD it would help a lot, I do have some r-compound tires kicking around, and some 13" slicks, I have 22x8x13 MT sport compact sitting around.

what are usually the weakest link in these cars? I notice subframe is flimsy, just want to strengthen whatever I can when the car is apart.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 23:44, Mon 28 January 2008 »
A strut brace will stiffen the front up alot, i also have a full rollcage in mine, you will deffo struggle to fit wide 15" wheels under the rear. The lsd is a good idea for track/fast road use, a bit of a waste for 1/4 mile really, decent engine, well set up suspension, decent tyres & clutch is all you need for decent 1/4 mile times, with the correct set up you can run 25 psi boost & hit 12's, with a little (very little) NOS, 11's !!

Weakest link is the engine, if the fueling is wrong & it's detting, you will blow the liner or gasket at high boost. I have mine set up & running 21 psi manifold & it seems to be fine, if i run 95 octane fuel it will start to det so decent fuel is a must!!