Author Topic: Campus -> GTT  (Read 1245 times)

CampusTurbo

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Campus -> GTT
« on: 22:03, Fri 02 November 2007 »
Evening people,newbie here :D

I currently have amongst other things a Campus 1.1 which I use as a work and general knocking about car,it's cheaper to run than the BMW 325i Touring (E30) I use as my "good" car!

My question is to some extent fairly basic,I've decided to drop a GTT motor into it,for two reasons,first is to turn my Campus heap into a genuine sleeper,shockingly bad to look at,but oddly quick when needed :twisted: ,second is just to show up some of my BMW owning friends who consistently take the piss out of my Campus!

My Campus is built as something of a hybrid of 3 different R5's so I know my way around it ok,as far as I can workout,the GTT lump,if left on the subframe with ALL ancillaries,mechanics etc left attached would fit straight up into my Campus,is this correct?

My main question is of electrics,in general how much work is needed to wire it in and how much of the GTT loom would I need?

I've browsed your site but can't really find anything specific to do with the electrics involved in the conversion.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers
Rog

djmers

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=454
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 21:56, Mon 05 November 2007 »
Right Here it goes, your lucky because my mate is doing the exact same thing at the mo with his campus 1.1. You will need a gt donor car....What they did is dropped the whole subframe out of the gt with all the suspension and everything else connected and chuck that on to the campus. the next thing is you will have to do the same with the rear axle because the campus has drums on the rear and the gt has disks, this will include all the brakes lines runing to the back and the brake servo....
Right i belive the main fuel tank is the same but you will need to take the auxillery tank off the gt and put on to the campus with all the nesscery pipe work and auxcillery pump and the main fuel pump and filter. I will upload a pick of the gt tank fuel pipes and breathers....

Right as for the electrics, you will need to pull the whole loom from the dash board to the front of the car including the engine loom off the gt and stick on to the campus including the wiring for the the fuel and auxcillery pump. I cant think of anything else at the moment but if i do i will let you know.. Hope this helps

CampusTurbo

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 22:11, Tue 06 November 2007 »
Quote from: "djmers"
Right Here it goes, your lucky because my mate is doing the exact same thing at the mo with his campus 1.1. You will need a gt donor car....What they did is dropped the whole subframe out of the gt with all the suspension and everything else connected and chuck that on to the campus. the next thing is you will have to do the same with the rear axle because the campus has drums on the rear and the gt has disks, this will include all the brakes lines runing to the back and the brake servo....
Right i belive the main fuel tank is the same but you will need to take the auxillery tank off the gt and put on to the campus with all the nesscery pipe work and auxcillery pump and the main fuel pump and filter. I will upload a pick of the gt tank fuel pipes and breathers....

Right as for the electrics, you will need to pull the whole loom from the dash board to the front of the car including the engine loom off the gt and stick on to the campus including the wiring for the the fuel and auxcillery pump. I cant think of anything else at the moment but if i do i will let you know.. Hope this helps

Hi,
Many thanks for your comprehensive reply :D

Everything you wrote makes good sense and I now have a better plan of action,meaning I now know it's going to be easier to pick up a donor GTT rather than just an engine,I would probably have wasted a great deal of time & cash then having to source all the extras I didn't know I needed.

One question I do have though is,why do I need to run an auxcillary fuel tank? I'm sure there must be good reason,I just haven't figured out why! :roll:

Again.many thanks for your lengthy reply,it's much appreciated
 8)

djmers

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 11:22, Fri 09 November 2007 »
No problem, i would use the auxcillery because it acts as a big reserve tank for the gt turbo's, when fuel is low in the main it will pump whats remaining in the auxcillery to it. i cant remember but i think it holds a gallon. will check my haynes tonight.

laura

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 15:20, Tue 13 November 2007 »
the auxilliary tank isnt a necessity, and will not create any faults if it is not there. it is just used as a reserve tank and holds 7 litres.  the main tanks are the same.

djmers

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 08:05, Sun 18 November 2007 »
Laura is right it is 7 litres, to be honest im doing the same thing at the mo with my gt to 1.4 campus and i decided not to stick the auxcillery tank on. also whilst doing the work this week on it, if you want to keep your oiginal dash and clocks you will have to take out the main loom that runs from the left of inside of the car through the tubuler frame to the engine bay which is what the engine loom plugs into, also the wiring that runs from the bulkhead inwerds eg battery cables and all thats connected. its not as bad as it sounds. i will upload some pics soon of the job, just need to gather some more pics together.. got some pics of the rear axel change over will stick them up.