Author Topic: AEI plastic cover  (Read 1972 times)

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
AEI plastic cover
« on: 14:18, Wed 14 March 2012 »
I noticed that on the phase 2 that this unit has a plastic cover as it's inside the scuttle. Did the phase 1 have a similar cover as standard or was it left bare?
If you know of any links to sites that have any info on the pearly ones, pm please.

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
Re: AEI plastic cover
« Reply #1 on: 14:42, Wed 14 March 2012 »
Quote from: "cosmicrayturbo"
I noticed that on the phase 2 that this unit has a plastic cover as it's inside the scuttle. Did the phase 1 have a similar cover as standard or was it left bare?

Phase 1 as were some crossover models aka the phase 1.5 were left bear over the turbo, plastic cover would have melted over turbo, it was on later models to stop water / rain getting into it

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15:35, Wed 14 March 2012 »
Quote from: "James5"

Phase 1 as were some crossover models aka the phase 1.5 were left bear over the turbo, plastic cover would have melted over turbo, it was on later models to stop water / rain getting into it

Would of melted.  :roll: Of course it would I didn't think of that :oops:  Right oh, cheers mate that's what I wanted to know.

Just another question. The heat shield I have is the fabric type the wire coming out of the top of it is melted to it and it never fitted very well anyway. I don't want to get a metal one as I want it to look standard. Is it wort replacing with another standard item or are they just generally sh*t and not worth having?
If you know of any links to sites that have any info on the pearly ones, pm please.

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #3 on: 15:42, Wed 14 March 2012 »
Quote from: "James5"

Would of melted.  :roll: Of course it would I didn't think of that :oops:  Right oh, cheers mate that's what I wanted to know.

Just another question. The heat shield I have is the fabric type the wire coming out of the top of it is melted to it and it never fitted very well anyway. I don't want to get a metal one as I want it to look standard. Is it wort replacing with another standard item or are they just generally sh*t and not worth having?

I take it the heatshield you are referring to is the turbo and exhaust manifold jobbie, and the perc fan wires have metled to it.  To be honest not seen many 5's with the standard shields still on other than the ones that are low mileage and minters, if they are fitted slightly of or get knocked they tend to catch fire or burn badly in place's. Think the best replacement I have ever seen was a kevlar version sold by BB tuning a few years back, looks OE and cover the turbo nicely.  If your going for OE look either go for the OE version which there are 2 types metal or the one you have or if you can find one a nice kevlar jobbie.

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15:59, Wed 14 March 2012 »
Cheers mate. Something to think about there.

fishead

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17:37, Wed 14 March 2012 »
the sensor in the top, has live voltage going to it if i remember correctly, perk fan motors wiring ect ect have caused more than one fire before. if yours has melted you may want to think about checking it over

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21:31, Wed 14 March 2012 »
Just bin it. Not worth the risk TBH.

A ropey heatshield and the anti-perc fan setup are both potential fire hazards.

cosmicrayturbo

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15:05, Thu 15 March 2012 »
:shock: Oh dear I ran it like that for quite a while at the time. I think it best if I take it off and look at alternatives. Did someone say there was a standard metal one?