Author Topic: Clutch, Gearbox or Engine  (Read 1742 times)

numpysnumnuts

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
Clutch, Gearbox or Engine
« on: 23:22, Sun 04 March 2012 »
OK just got my car driven 70 miles home. 15 miles from home car pops out of 5th for no reason on motorway.  Put car back in gear and drive.  Motor incident causes me to slow down and stop.  Engage clutch and select 1st.  Upon releasing the clutch car drives but chattering from car.  Change up to 2nd chattering becomes less and then hit 3rd and chattering disappears.  Manage to get car home driving from 1st to 3rd.

Starting car up today briefly chattering occurs when car is in neutral but as soon as clutch presed down or is engaged chattering stops.  Now I don't believe its a problem with the gearbox as the gears can all be selected and the car will try and pull away in all gears.  

Don't believe its the clutch as there seems to be no slippage when engaging gears.

So is it my engine or something in between?

Did have a search and read through previous posts but bits were relevant in all three sections so didn't know what to believe.

Regards

Russ

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch, Gearbox or Engine
« Reply #1 on: 23:30, Sun 04 March 2012 »
Sounds like the gearbox might be shot?

I might be wrong but Iím sure it works like this.

Noise with clutch pedal down = Worn clutch release bearing.
Noise with clutch pedal up = Gearbox issues?

5 gearboxes are usually quite tough, but the clattering noises you describe don't sound all that positive.

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21:48, Mon 05 March 2012 »
get the box out and take a look  :wink: you will soon find out whats wrong
Every day is a school day !

numpysnumnuts

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13:04, Tue 06 March 2012 »
Right update.  Mechanic has been out and listened to the noise and advised its either thrush bearings or something has come off in the gearbox worst case something has broken.  Suggested get a replacement gearbox which is a pain as I have another working engine and gearbox on my drive but its in another motor and also jumps out of second on roundabouts.  Was using this as a donor for the fact the vehicle I purchased had no interior other than dash and 2 bucket seats.  Was not really planning to get the engine/gearbox out.

Removing the gearbox is not a job for the faint of heart I assume.

My skills out of 10 are as follows:-

Vehicle Electrics - 8
Minor Mechanical - 5
Major Mechanical - 2

I don't at present have the tools necessary to do the job if the engine has to be lifted out or the sub frame has to be dropped.  I also have to state I don't have a garage in which to do this only a canvas cover and my drive.

As I have other concerns with regards to the engine including the cooling system and a small leak which I can't seem to find, would it be better to get it loaded and off to someone like K-Tec to resolve or if anyone can recommend a decent place within Hampshire.  Had set myself a budget when I bought this of £2000 including purchase of a new car to get it up together and in a presentable state so have the money to get it fixed if need be.  It just means other plans will have to wait.

Haynes manuals are not much use when it comes to this and as my first mechanical job it seems a steep learning curve which may have serious consequences if not done 100% correct.

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:36, Wed 07 March 2012 »
Hi
You could try Markymark on here, a very busy bloke but might be able to help.

The engines are easy to get out, Im no mechanic but have taken a few out, stripped them down and managed to get them running again  :lol:

Also its a good excuse to clean the engine bay up

fishead

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19:45, Thu 08 March 2012 »
hey, im in hants mate where abouts you from ?