Author Topic: newbie looking for r5  (Read 3750 times)

wrxcook

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
newbie looking for r5
« on: 14:06, Tue 21 February 2012 »
Hi all I'm new to this forum as I generally have just driven and modded Subaru,I'm looking for a r5 preferably with a pretty recent engine rebuild, or could anyone recommend a place to get a rebuild done in Scotland,the bodywork would not be to much of an issue as I can weld and a friend can do the painting, I would be doing 150 miles a weak so the engine lasting would be the main issue,I'm looking at a white r5 on eBay at the moment but with 160000 miles on the clock I'd be looking to get a rebuild done sooner than later,so any recommendations on where to get it done would be great, I hope to be driving a Renault 5 gtt soon

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: newbie looking for r5
« Reply #1 on: 15:59, Tue 21 February 2012 »
welcome.... where in scotland are you based? :D

you could try giving the rebuild a go yourself, they are pretty basic tbh and it would save you a lot of - get yourself a haynes manual 8) .... I had little experience with working on cars before I got my 5 and im currently rebuilding my engine so its not so bad once you get your head into it

wrxcook

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17:16, Tue 21 February 2012 »
Hi I'm just west Edinburgh a place called Broxburn, how much is it costing you to rebuild the engine yourself roughly, I would consider it, also what time scale are you putting on the rebuild

dj_craig_

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17:20, Tue 21 February 2012 »
Just like to say welcome to the forum mate :-)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19:32, Tue 21 February 2012 »
Quote from: "wrxcook"
Hi I'm just west Edinburgh a place called Broxburn, how much is it costing you to rebuild the engine yourself roughly, I would consider it, also what time scale are you putting on the rebuild

I gave myself a month turn around for the build as I am lucky to get one full day a week at it... but that is now turning in to 2 months as I keep buying more parts  :lol:  ...and delayed by engineers :evil:

cost depends on how far you wanna go really.   new piston/liner set?... cam?

I am using std pistons from another block that I got - just got them checked/cleaned up with new rings.  If the engine is running sound then I would say just renew all the bearings, piston rings, timing chain, top & bottom gasket set.....  250ish  and away you go  8)

wrxcook

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20:20, Tue 21 February 2012 »
250 sounds good I'll look into that, I'll get the Haynes manual and have a look to see if this could be possible, do you have the use of working garage or is this something you are doing at home,also where have you been buying parts from, can I also say thanks for the help, the last rebuild I got done on my Subaru was more than 3000 this was the cost I didn't want when buying a R5, my wife thinks I'm having a mid life crisis at 31

wrxcook

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20:21, Tue 21 February 2012 »
Quote from: "dj_craig_"
Just like to say welcome to the forum mate :-)
Thanks hope to be on here more as a R5 owner soon

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20:30, Tue 21 February 2012 »
that cost was a really basic run down.... it can easily get out of hand especially if you fancy new pistons/liners, think of decent cam, vernier etc. It all depends on what you want from the engine.  

3k..... Ouch!   was that for someone to carry out a full build or just the parts for you to build it?

I am just using a garage at home.... not ideal but better than working outside  :lol:

I tend to buy all my parts from Mike   memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1202

he owns http://www.gt-turbo-spares.co.uk

he is extremley helpfull, has a heap of old/new parts, and offers fast delivery.... what more could you want :D

wrxcook

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21:20, Tue 21 February 2012 »
The 3k was someone else doing the build API engines the are well known in the Subaru world and its a forged short motor so wasn't to bad, the cars running 347/339 the last run on a rolling road but the wife mainly drives it now and I can't afford that sort of money on a R5 but would love one to restore and also use as a daily driver

Ridgeback

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:02, Wed 22 February 2012 »
How do fella. I run a 96 V limited as well as the 5. The 5's really are the easiest things in the world to work on.especially compared to a scooby.
Here's my mate Dr Frankenstu's 800bhp beast.

wrxcook

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09:09, Wed 22 February 2012 »
Loving the scooby mate the black paints looks perfect, they always do look better with the front mounts aswell

hypeboy

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:58, Fri 16 March 2012 »

Subaru Parts

Ridgeback wow this is a nice car, are you selling this? won't you mind selling this? this is what I'm looking for pureblack subaru.