Author Topic: My G reg tungy  (Read 1990 times)

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
My G reg tungy
« on: 20:11, Wed 04 January 2012 »
Hello gents,

I have been knocking around here for a short while now, and thought it was about time that I put some info on of my car. I've had it for over 10 years now and have done very little with it, other distractions etc. So last year after it being stood for 9 of those 10 years I thought it best to start and crack on with it.

Although I have had the car garaged, time has slowly taken it's toll and rust and rot have took hold. Hopefully though I will get this car put back to a decent condition and have some fun with it.

I am concentrating firstly on the mechanical side, before tackling the rot!!

I will get some photos posted up at a later date when I have worked that out

Alex

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: My G reg tungy
« Reply #1 on: 21:28, Wed 04 January 2012 »
I done it the other way round. Rust then mechanical. Run it up make sure everythings fine strip car down lump kit panels etc then paint. Im still at the rust stage :-(
Every day is a school day !

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21:46, Wed 04 January 2012 »
I've gone down this route as I can do most things myself, what I didn't want to do is get the body sorted and painted and then start knocking it about in frustration when things are seized. At least if I get it running and things moving it will help stop with the decay....well that's my theory anyway  :)

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22:03, Wed 04 January 2012 »
Its all fun :-) I meant sort the rust out then mechanical then paint. Upto u though. Im just trying to make myn look perfect under the bonnet I want the b18ft lump to look like its meant to be there

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22:15, Wed 04 January 2012 »
I see,

yes that makes sense, I have a lot of rust and to be honest rot in what appears to be all the usual places, battery tray, window corners, drivers foot well, both inner and outer sills, and I have not taken the rear bumper off yet to find out what is lurking under there.

My problem is that I cant do the bodywork, that will need to go into a garage- or enlist the help of a friend to show me how to do things.

But I can tackle most of the mechanical bits and bobs and at least get it up and running and take it to the garage  :)

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17:22, Thu 05 January 2012 »
Im a mechanic but we have a bodyshop at work  :-) I replaced the n/s quarter panel. I got to replace the o/s quarter and sill then im rot free

big@l

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17:53, Thu 05 January 2012 »
a tad too far for me to pop it down to your place  :o  :o

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18:10, Thu 05 January 2012 »
Just a bit ;-) I cant wait to get myn painted tbh I got loads to do first though