Author Topic: Oil restrictor needed for T28?  (Read 5581 times)

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Oil restrictor needed for T28?
« on: 18:54, Fri 02 December 2011 »
Does anyone run a 1/16 oil restrictor or similar for there turbo? reason I ask is I had my engine rebuilt and thought the turbo was ok. I ran the engine in for 300 miles with no boost (didnt go over 3k anyway) until one day on tickover the turbo started smoking. I had the turbo rebuilt and fitted it. primed the turbo prior to start up, fired the car up and within minutes I had plumes of smoke from the exhaust. Took the turbo off and the exhaust housing was covered in oil (also a little behind the comp wheel) .

Ive had the turbo stripped again, checked cleaned and rebuilt and all is good. Im thinking that the engine is pushing to much oil through the turbo causing the leaks. I fitted a oil pressure gauge and once warm it reads 60psi on tickover and 80psi when you rev it.

All oil breather and drain pipes have been cleaned out, there was a bit of gunk in the oil breather filter.

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Oil restrictor needed for T28?
« Reply #1 on: 13:02, Sat 03 December 2011 »
Anyone?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14:39, Sat 03 December 2011 »
I'm not entirely sure but wouldn't an restriction in the oil supply actually increase the pressure?

What temperature does your oil reach? A quick mental arithmetic shows you have about 4-5BAR worth of pressure when the oil is hot, is that at idle?

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15:53, Sat 03 December 2011 »
Ive done a bit of searching on the net and its not so much the pressure its the volume. Reducing the inlet lets the flow drain from the turbo a bit like when you fill the sink it takes time to empty (Andy b) analigy lol

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09:52, Sun 04 December 2011 »
Just looking your oil pressure is little high mate, has it always been like that or have you never measured it before? I don't think ever did anything to the oil pump, strange for an oil pump to produce too much pressure.

Did you refit the one way valve you removed? Worth trying that and seeing what pressure is like again
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15:24, Sun 04 December 2011 »
Mark - It did read high with the old engine spec but that was on the original gauge. Yes thats with two inline as I have the T2 bolted on at the mo and the pipes a little short. I remember James said he had packed the pump.

It did drop to 40psi when the fan kicked in but I thought that was just Renault electrics  :lol:

fishead

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15:55, Sun 04 December 2011 »
did it jus start smokin by itself, i mean is there any story there at all ? like i fitted x y or z or i changed the oil or anything ?

was it 1st start of the day, jus back from a journey ?

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16:52, Sun 04 December 2011 »
I blew my engine a while back, had it rebuilt and thought the turbo was ok. I ran the engine in with no boost and didnt take it over 3k so it wouldnt of kicked in anyway. The turbo seemed fine for 200mile until I started the car back up after doing about 3 miles where it just started smoking on idle. Had the turbo to bits and the shaft was scored. Had the shaft polished and check and the turbo rebuilt. fitted it, started the car up and within minutes it was smoking.

danielmk323

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20:32, Sun 04 December 2011 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
I'm not entirely sure but wouldn't an restriction in the oil supply actually increase the pressure?

What temperature does your oil reach? A quick mental arithmetic shows you have about 4-5BAR worth of pressure when the oil is hot, is that at idle?
but is int 4-5 bar to many on idle and hot oil it should be  like 2 bar maybe a bit more if im not wrong

robx1r

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20:48, Sun 04 December 2011 »
i've a gt28 r and i dont see any restrictor on it but i can take pictures if you like mate!

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08:24, Mon 05 December 2011 »
If you could mate, it will probably be the connector that goes in the turbo core.

Any thoughts on the oil pressure?

fishead

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20:47, Mon 05 December 2011 »
so at no point have you changed the oil and filter ?

how much oil is in it ?  [i know you will read this, an yeah i was thinkin of you !]  :D  :D  :D

the turbo has been buillt by someone proper hasnt it, or is it an ebay diy kit ?

off top of my head thats some good oil pressure, i have tried a few things an i dont think im anywhere near that. if i remember i'll have a look in my notes but i recon there maybe something there

i have used restrictors in oil lines, for a journal bearing turbo i dont advise it

fishead

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20:50, Mon 05 December 2011 »
it is definatly the turbo an not the engine ?

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21:40, Mon 05 December 2011 »
Changed oil and filter when i fitted the turbo (after doing 300 miles on the engine) oil level is correct and turbo was built by my mate who works at Graham Goode racing. I sent the shaft off to Turbo Rebuild who polished, checked and cleaned it before sending it back. Rebuild kit was also from them. Definately to do with the turbo as I have a T2 fitted which seems fine apart from it did start boosting later just before i removed it?

Im wondering if it was a bit of sludge in the breather system as ive clean them out now. I dont really want to bolt it on and pump oil through it again.

fishead

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09:25, Tue 06 December 2011 »
does sound an odd one for sure.
i did have sorta similar thing once, but mine chucked oil out back all the time regardless of what turbo, it gave me oil pressure readings similar to yours
turned out to be an issue with the oil filter, i now will only use genuine o/e filters.
for the cost recon id be changin oil an filter an recheckin pressures before putting nice shiney turbo back on